Keep the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JustLikeYou, Aug 6, 2009.

1. JustLikeYou macrumors member

So I just bought my 13" MBP which I'm very happy with, it's so beautiful! I got the free ipod touch with it because of the student promo deal, and like most people probably do, I was going to sell it to make up a little bit on the cost of the MBP. But I'm sort of second guessing myself now, and I need some help!

I have always wanted an iphone, but I could never justify the extra $30 a month data plan, since I don't really use my phone for much more than what it is... a phone (and texting some). I've always wanted to be able to check my e-mail without getting on my computer or play some games or have the convenience of checking something online while being away from my laptop, which is why I wanted the iphone, but still can't justify the extra money as a college student.

Will the ipod touch satisfy those tech cravings? Have any of you gotten the same deal and kept the ipod touch and been happy with it? I am almost always around a wifi source, as my school campus has it all over and I have it in my apartment as well. Just fishing for some guidance is all, before I go and open it. Thanks :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Owning both, the iPod Touch never cut it for me. But I use my iPhone primarily for internet/email wherever I am.

3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I would go ahead an sell the iPod Touch as a new model should be coming out within the next few months or so. The sooner you sell it, the more money you will receive[:

The iPod Touch never really cut it for me either, sold it after a year...

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I don't own an iPod Touch but I mess around with my step dads a lot and I have to say its pretty useful pretty much as useful as a netbook. I am planning on buying a 3rd gen when they come out to use it as a portable internet/media device ( I don't own a laptop ) I think it is great for this.

5. rajux macrumors newbie

rajux

There is a decent sized return you can make for an ipod touch

Ive never had a touch but after having my backpack stolen which had my ipod 30gb known as a classic now music has never really been the same

But i am really a hardcore music lover.

And you get a decent volume

An ipod interface for music is excellent to have.

I would recommend u asking yourself, do you eventually think you will buy an iphone?

Think of it as maybe a discount if you will...

6. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

By the way you mentioned that you are always around WI FI?

Perhaps you could sell the iPod and put the money towards a new tablet...?

Ah that recommendation sounded much better in my head.

7. JustLikeYou thread starter macrumors member

Maybe a few years down the road I'll truly NEED something like an iphone, but right now, i just WANT it, which is why I can't justify the cost for one.

I already have two other ipods, a 30GB and a shuffle, which I use for working out and in the car, etc. What I want out of the touch is what the iphone can do (web surfing, email, apps) minus the phone part. I just don't know if it will be satisfying enough to keep, or if I'll say "man, shoulda sold it"

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I like and use the Ipod touch for it's named reason. The ipod!

The aps, data, ect.. that's the Iphone's land to play in. I just love the ipod touch for it's use as a ipod alone. I've had or used every ipod, classic, all the nano's, ect..... but I'll use that ipod touch 95% of the time.

9. rajux macrumors newbie

rajux

Fair enough, well basically do you want to spend however much you will make by selling the touch for web surfing, mail, apps etc?

You could just use your laptop

but its an expensive dose of tech for web surfing, email, apps in my opinion if that is the reason why you want it

10. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

Did a similar thing to you and got an ipod touch with the student discount when I bought my MBP. I already own iphones and an ipod classic so didn't even open the touch. Sold it to a friend for £100. he was happy and so was I.

My advice sell it.

You have a new MBP for emails etc, as you said you are always around wifi, you also own 2 ipods already, why have a third. The money you get could go towards some of those $30 data charges if you do get an iphone.

Just my humble opinion. :):)

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thought the iPod Touch would suite me for my needs, and it did.... for the first few months. Now I just need an iPhone to cut it.

Well, I have first Gen iPod Touch, so I could argue that I didn't get more features like speed and speakers. the iPhone covers that for me.

But if your not prepared for the $30/month, sell that iPod and use the money for the new iPod touch. (3Gen)

iPhone ftw

12. JustLikeYou thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, see, if I sell it, it's not like I'd be buying something else in its place. I was just curious if it was worth it to keep it and play with it, or sell it for the best price now.

After all, I got it free with the promo, I'm a poor college student, and I'm around my laptop most of the time because of my degree (graphic design). It would be more of a convenience thing for when I'm not around my computer, and for playing games when I don't want to be on my computer.

But I think for the options, I'll probably sell it. It would just be a toy to satisfy my ADD, and it would probably only satisfy me for a month or two before I got bored with it and tossed it in a drawer to never see it again, lol

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I put mine up on Craigslist, had money in hand within 2 hours.:D

14. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Yeah, people on Craigslist go crazy for Apple products. But as others have said, the iPod touch is good for music. I had mine before I bought my iPhone and to be honest it does feel great to have for the first month or two. But once you get past that, it feels pretty useless without a cell network. You can't be around Wi-Fi all the time. :rolleyes: With the iPhone you get a signal everywhere there's Edge, 3G, or Wi-Fi. It may not be something you need, but it's great to have. If you play with the iPod touch for a month or so you'd understand how stifled it is. Sooner you sell the more money you'd get.

15. vintagemacsrule macrumors newbie

iv had mine for almost 2 years and i use it alot. i use it as my netbook even though i have a netbook:confused: lol i basically use it the same way you are describing and i also have 2 other ipods i think its a pretty cool thing and if it dies i will go out and get another one, keep it

16. Pixellated macrumors 65816

An iPhone when you can get one will be much better than the touch. Wait, sell the touch, and when you can, get an iPhone.

17. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I say sell it and eat up sme of your costs from the computer. You don't need any more distractions in college than the opposite sex:D