Keep the lid open or close it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barahir, Feb 27, 2008.

1. barahir macrumors newbie

Im going to get a MBP as my desktop replacement and use an external monitor. So does it matter if the lid is open to help dissapate heat or can I use it closed? Is it enough to have it on a riser for air circulation or is an active cooling pad going to extend the overal lifespan of the MBP?

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I believe you have to leave the lid open to utilize an external monitor. Check the docs to be sure, but I think that is the case.

MacDann

3. LVdustin macrumors regular

I haven't experimented with this personally, since I rarely plug it to an external monitor. But I believe that your computer will go to sleep if the monitor lid is closed, unless you can configure it in the display settings, not to sleep. Other than that, I would do it, if it's possible.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can keep it closed, the external monitor will (temporarily) become your main monitor, you just have to have a keyboard, mouse, screen, and power connected to do it. It will go to sleep when you close the screen, once it does, just tap a key on the keyboard the wake it up. The MBP is designed to operate fine in this mode, but many people believe it to be bad for the screen. If your fans begin to run a lot, simply open MBP to allow more air to cool the system. This will not automatically reactivate the built-in screen, when you want to do that, open system preferences for display then click on "detect display".

A riser is a good idea under any and all circumstanced. I have an iCurve at home, and use three post-it notes pads at work, just enought to allow for cirulation (but I use the screen at home, not at work).

TEG

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's fine closed. Just make sure it's on a flat surface, so there is adequate airflow underneath (at least what the rubber feet give it).

Mine is on a CoolPad, sitting on a small Allsop aluminum riser, to keep it off the floor (my setup has it next to my couch with an ACD on table in front/next to me). The CoolPad gives it a bit more space underneath. I've used them with all my notebooks, so I don't have a good reference for using them without.

I did some temp measurements with mine (in the above setup) and it was within a couple degrees (F) of open. Not enough to make any difference. When fans are running full, it's also a bit quieter closed.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

true unless you have an external keyboard and mouse

otherwise, it would be slightly difficult to use with the lid closed there..

7. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

True. <head slap> :rolleyes:

MacDann

8. kman79 macrumors regular

I have mine hooked up to a Dell 2407. What I do is plug in the DVI cable, open the lid to press the power button, and then quickly (not hard), close the lid, and the external monitor is seen and used as the main. You can keep the lid closed if you like, but I crack it open just a little, I just feel a little better that way. I have left i close once in a while and it's fine also.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Depends what I'm doing. I have it closed using Insomnia X for when I'm watching movies on my TV or if I have downloads going and I want to close the screen and put it under the table.

If I'm doing CPU intensive stuff (such as encoding video) then I leave it open to let the heat disperse through the keyboard properly.