Keep UDP or switch to ATT Mobile share for new iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CoriG, Aug 28, 2015.

1. CoriG macrumors 6502

I have an UDP from ATT and I am trying to decide whether to switch to mobile share plan with 20 gigs for the same price. I have had a phantom line so that I can upgrade every year, but now that the 2 year contracts are quickly becoming a thing of the past, I am very tempted to to give up UDP for mobile share so that I can get on the next program so that I can the phone on launch day.

I know this has been been hashed over and over again .. but does anyone regret switching off their udp?

2. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Do you really need a new iPhone that bad?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you absolutely need the latest phone and want to keep UDP, buy the phone outright, not on Next or contract.

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

How many GB's a month do you use?

For me I was holding onto my UDP for a long time only to realize I was averaging 3-5 GB per month. I gave it up and now my plan regularly has 30+ GB per month with rollover and my wife and I combined are using about 10-12GB per month at most. Every person is different but I don't miss my UDP at all.

5. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

I average about 7-8 gigs a month and the most I have ever used is 12. And art is offering me 20 gigs right now to switch over for a slightly lower price. The selling point is I do want the option to tether my iPad to my phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldn't give up unlimited data.
    And contract upgrades are still available to those that have the old plans.

7. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that. But my concern is that this will be the last year that contracts will be offered or will that be something that is grandfathered in like udp? I have already locked in selling my phone 6 for 450 at the min ( I am one of those people that like to upgrade every year at launch (don't hate on me;), at this point, I am even tempted to just buy the phone outright.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I really doubt it will be the last year that you can upgrade using subsidy.

9. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Even if it is if you're eligible for 2 year subsidy it's a no brainier to take advantage of it.

10. MyCow macrumors member

MyCow

Check to see how much all the lines are using monthly, and don't forget to factor in the other lines upgrading with AT&T eventually. Also, there's no rollover data, so it really depends on how much everyone uses.

11. s2000gtx macrumors member

What do u mean by this please forgive me since I don't know too much. I have the nation wide 450 plan with unlimited data . I have an iPhone 6plus but I obtain it from Tmobile and I paid it off and got it unlocked . I got my plan from a tol for free from a buddie ... I been reason a lot of people been saying for those that has the unlimited data it would be foolish and would be loosing 400 dollars if they don't take advantage of the 2 year contract but I don't fully understand how come ..

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

AT&T does have rollover data now though.

13. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

I got my iPhone 6/64GB for $299 on a 2 year contract. Better than paying full price. I got it unlocked even though I'm still under contract.

14. MyCow macrumors member

MyCow

That was supposed to be now has rollover data lol. My fault, typo.

15. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

How did you get it unlocked?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

17. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

I get thst

18. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry. How did you get it unlocked if you are still under contract?

19. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

For some reason AT&T unlocks iPhones under contract. We have 4 iPhones 6's we got on launch and submitted unlocking request and we got confirmation and instructions how to unlock.

There's a thread on this too.

Also our lines are eligible for a 'partial upgrade' which is upgrade price + $250. As an example let's say the 6S/64GB is going to be $299 for full upgrade. A partial upgrade will be $299+$250= $550. I can easily sell my iPhone 6 for $400. If I want a 6S and sell my 6 it will be $150 out of pocket. Then my contract will be extended for another 2 years.

20. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! I tried to unlock my ip6 and they rejected me saying the phone was still under contract. Maybe I will try it again.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No always, I'm unable to unlock my phones and the reason being is that I'm under contract. I tried online and by phone.

22. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

It's reported you have to try 2+ times online. I was able to unlock 2 iPhones 1st try and the other 2 took a couple of times.

23. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Keep trying

24. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Stay with UDP. Don't listen to the rumors.