keep wifi on or off

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by abz1981, Apr 10, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

HI guys
    is it best to keep wifi off, when ur not using the internet on your iphone? what I am doing at the moment, to get best out of my battery life. I keep 3g off all the time, and turn wifi on, when available to use the internet. then i switch it off. however do u keep it off all the time, or keep it on, all time, if you are at home or work where u may have wifi?

am using iphone 4 with latest o.s btw.

thanks in advance

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

24/7 WIFI ON
    3G ON
    locations ON
    push OFF

7+ hours everyday.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Of course, if you’re not using the internet, then having wifi off will save some battery. However, even if you’re not using the internet, it uses more battery if wifi is not available and you have wifi on.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Your new avatar is much better than your old one. And why was June 15 a sad day for MR?

5. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks that make sense :)
    sorry if it was a silly question.

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i live in central london, so when i go out i'm usually inundated with wifi hotspots
    always seem to get important emails, or need to check google maps - especially in central london - total maze!
    - so i tend to leave wifi on at the cost of battery life

i tend to dim the screen and turn push off
    i like to leave 3g on incase there is no wifi immediately
    thankfully, mac dee has free wifi - only thing it's good for imo

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't use WiFi that much.
    It's mainly WiFi off, mobile network on.

I unplugged my phone this morning and my stats are

usage 1 hour 58 minutes
    stand by 10 hours 7 minutes
    84% remaining

I hardly use data and checking twitter, email and FB use minimal data, so theres no point for me keeping WiFi on since it drains my battery anyways

8. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

As inconvenient as it is, and you shouldn't have to find workarounds for this, keeping wifi off will save you some battery life. I keep mine on 24/7 with little affect on my battery. However, I've heard that there are some apps (you'll have to do some detective work for this), that keep trying to connect through wifi, even if it has been turned off (as in removed from the task bar). I think it's different for everyone. That is a fault of the of the app, and not necessarily the phone.

But there are incidences where wifi would shut on and off (switching between 3G and wifi) on it's own. Even if you have full wifi bars, or even if you are right beside your router. This is a hardware issue. And can be a culprit in battery drains. Not to mention unwanted data charges.