Keep with EDGE or wait til 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtalerico, Mar 16, 2008.

1. jtalerico macrumors 6502

I just moved my fiancee and I over to ATT and went with the iPhone. I have not opened it up yet because I started to think I might want to wait for the 3G iPhone since there was word that they might be coming out this year.

What do all you think? Return and pick up something like the LG Shine? Or keep with EDGE?

Thanks all!

2. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I would use it now and sell it when the 3g version is out to fund the purchase of said phone. Its a great phone plus the lg shine is ***** lol

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think only you can answer this. How often do you need the internet outside your wifi range? How badly do you need something faster? Edge is slow, 3G is slightly better (I've had two 3G smart phones), but really I don't think waiting for it is worth it. If this is the phone you want and you have it in your hand now open it up and start using it. I am certain if the iPhone gets 3G and it's impossible to make it a firmware update then you could easily sell your iPhone and not lose too much. Not everyone will be in an area with 3G so there would still be a market out there.

4. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Most of the area i live and commute is 3G right now.

But if the speed difference is not much different.......

I'm not sure, but I highly doubt 3G is as easy as a firmware update, I am sure it has certain chips (which is why the iPhone currently isn't 3G, the chip is a battery hog.

5. Sardukar macrumors member

Correct, it needs a new chip.

Incorrect, 3G is *considerably* faster than EDGE.

6. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimps,
    What is your take on it?

I know I could attempt to cell it, but why would someone get a Edge Vs 3G? I guess it would have to be considerably less?

From what I have read 3G iPhone would start first over seas then move here.. So it could potentially be later then sooner.

7. cupofjoe macrumors regular

I thought I wanted to wait til 3g on my iphone, but i don't regret buying my 16gig for a second. edge is decent, i don't need broadband speeds everywhere.

but you have to decide for yourself what is better. I don't have a problem with it. and I won't, even when the 3g phone comes out.

8. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

cup,

I know this has already been a thread, but what kind of speeds are you seeing on edge?

Thanks!

9. macDonalds macrumors 6502

First off - that's some amazing restrain you showed by having the iphone in front of you and not opening it. Anyway, I just recently puchased one and love it. Over the weekend I was put in my first situation where wifi was not available to me. I was actually surprised that edge was not all that bad. Wifi is just so accessible these days that to me it would not be worth the wait.

10. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Well I live in central fl, around the orlando area, and I've seen pretty constant speeds of around 200-300ish kbps in most areas. Which is decent, considering all my other phones I've had have been MUCH slower than that. An attachment follows below for your viewing.

That's pretty damn decent for me in such a large city. And wi-fi's never too far away from me.

Attached Files:

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

EDGE's top speed on the iPhone is 236 Kbps. If you ever see anything over that, either you're on WiFi or you're being lied to by the speed test.

12. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Cite your source?

I do believe the theoretical top speed is a bit higher than what you're giving. I've seen over that on a SLEW of different speed tests.

And no, I'm not on wifi. I'm smart enough to realize the difference, don't try to make me look like an idiot.

EDIT: OH this is hilarious. Your source is yourself.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=324690&page=8

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Nope, although I've been an engineer for almost thirty years. Did you bother reading the link in the referred post? The EDGE limit has been talked about for a year now.

To repeat, the iPhone is a Class 12 device. That means it can use a maximum of four EDGE timeslots (out of eight) in one direction at a time. Since each timeslot gives up to 59.2 Kbps, the limit is 59.2 x 4 = 236.8 Kbps.

Theoretical is eight slots and most phones can't use that many, even if ATT were to allow it. As for speed tests... if you look at their source code you'll see they're using Javascript, which isn't going to be super accurate.

14. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if it makes any difference, i cracked the case... Updating to 1.1.4 then using independence to jailbreak it.

Damn activation killed my fiancee's phone though... I work with Cisco and go the Corp discount. The way for it to work is to have the iphone as the second line and the noniphone as the main line. but the iphone took over the main line... I will need to get this fixed tomorrow i suppose...

Thanks all!

15. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Another thing to consider about EDGE is that it is limiting your ability to receive calls while your transferring data over the EDGE network. Vise versa, EDGE can't be accessed while on a voice call. Food for thought.

I, myself am waiting for the 3G model (hopefully june-ish) and also for more coverage on AT&T's part in my area. (returned my iPhone because I couldn't even get service in my house, and I live in PHOENIX!), so I would've recommend you wait. But as long as you enjoy it, it shouldn't matter. :D

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Open it, enjoy it! EDGE is fast enough, not doubt 3G will be better, but the ability to use Wi-Fi is what makes the difference.

By the time 3G appears, you will have enjoyed your iPhone on EDGE.

17. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

18. ogee macrumors 6502

I just tried that mobilespeedtest site on my 3G Nokia E61. It told me I was getting a speed of 149MBPS ... WTF.... I dont think so somehow. I retried, 3MBPS then 4.5MBPS and 5MBPS.

I dont think the results are reliable.

19. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Any idea if the same speed would apply on O2 in the UK? I assume that the actual phone itself would have exactly the same capabilities, but EDGE in the UK is an interim solution that O2 hurried out because the iPhone can't yet use its widely-available 3G network. :eek:

I think I may wait until June.

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'd get it now, EDGE (when O2 provide it) isn't so bad. It'll be November before a 3G phone hits these shores if you ask me. I'd love to be wrong though as a 3G iPhone would be an improvement. The drop to GPRS when EDGE isn't around is useable but does detract from the loveliness of the device.

Note, O2's 3G coverage ain't that great if you're not in a city (dark blue is 3G, don't even ask about HSDPA coverage):

[​IMG]

21. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Although at least I'm right bang in the middle of that large blue area in the SE of the map... :)

I'm hoping there won't be a delay between the US and UK releases of 3G. The deal is in place now, so it should just be a case of swapping the handset to stores (much like the 8->16GB upgrade). I just hope there isn't a 3G iPhone supply issue which causes a delay in the international roll-out...

22. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It's not really at home you need it though. I suspect you'd have wifi when you're sat on your sofa.

However, point taken. I'm also mostly in that blue area in the north west (Warrington/Manchester). A combo of EDGE and 3G would be very handy.

As for roll-out. I'd suspect maybe Asian markets could get the 3G iPhone first?

23. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

I doubt it. Has Apple ever released a product overseas before America?

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Very true. I'd say 3G is more needed in the Asian (and even European) markets though, especially if Apple wants to hit their ambitious sales targets.

25. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

As has been said above the only definitive answer can come from yourself, and I think the most important thing to consider is how you will use the iPhone.

Myself, I love the iPhone, and have used it extensively thanks to my friends that have them, but I am someone who a) does not have the financial means to buy one and then sell it when the 3G comes out and b) will use the iPhone a good deal outside of WiFi range.

Because of those two issues I have been waiting - as patiently as possible! - for the 3G. As someone corrected above, the difference between EDGE and 3G is immense. Not only is EDGE painfully slow (think very early dialup) but when you are mobile and need something on the move and on your feet speed is important.

When I went to the store to buy my iPhone, giving in to EDGE, I turned off WiFi to test the connection speed and it was horrendous. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but I did know I needed to put my wallet back in my pocket and leave empty handed.

I suggest trying that... don't open what you have, go to an AT&T or Apple store and test the speed. Turn off WiFi and see what EDGE will (and won't) do.

Understand that the majority of what makes the iPhone unique hinges on its internet connection. If you are someone who will primarily be using their iPhone within range of a usable WiFi and don't want to wait an unknown amount of time (although it is looking more and more like this summer, yay), open it up and enjoy. If you will be doing a lot of on the go use of EDGE/3G I would wait.