Keeping applications separate from other users?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vick77, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

Hi, I've just created another user account on my mbp, and the problem I'm having is that there are certain applications of mine that the 2nd user doesn't want or need, however when I go onto that account and remove the application it also deletes it from my account?

Is this normal, and is there any way around this? So that I can pick and choose which applications exist on the 2nd account?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

2. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

If you make a folder called Applications in your home folder that works fine. It even has the default "Applications Folder" icon when you rename it.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try enabling Parental Controls for that account, and select the "Only allow selected applications" checkbox. You can then select only the application(s) you want to give the user access to.

4. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, I've tried enabling parental controls, but the application still remains on the computer just it can't be accessed, I just want it to disappear off that account, so it's not even visible?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

moving (or installing) your apps to ~/Applications will only allow that user to use those programs and they will be the only ones able to see those programs as well.

So as the other poster mentioned create an Applications folder in your home folder and drag or reinstall those apps to the new location.

6. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

Admittedly I didn't quite understand what was meant my creating another applications folder, I've now worked it out, Thanks so much for all your help.