Kernel Panic After Restarting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YupBrokeniPhone, Feb 27, 2017.

1. YupBrokeniPhone macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Was working on some video editing yesterday with my Macbook Pro (2011 16GB RAM 100GB SSD for booting 1TB Hard Drive for content) and noticed it was running a kernel process taking up 1.5GB of memory. First time doing video editing so I didn't think much of it. Fan were running high. After wrapping up my work, I decided to turn the laptop off. When I got back a couple hours later, the laptop wouldn't boot.

At first I got a kernel panic message and now, it starts booting at the apple screen and a bunch of text pops up all over the screen, after which it restarts in an endless loop.

Tried safe mode, will load up until about 90% after which the message pops up again.

All out of ideas. I'm assuming the RAM gave out as it is aftermarket. But the weird part was that everything was running fine until I turned the computer off.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

If you have a 2011 15" or 17" MBP then your AMD GPU could have failed and thereby preventing startup. A known problem that had an extended repair to replace the logic board. The repair program ended Dec 2016. Do a web search for "Radeongate".

Have you tried safe mode (hold down the shift key during startup)?

3. YupBrokeniPhone thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I did to no avail. I keep getting a kernel panic around 90% of the apple boot screen. My MBP is a 13", not sure if it makes a difference. I'll look into Radeongate when I get home. Thanks for the info!

4. chrfr macrumors 603

The 13" doesn't have the Radeon GPU so that isn't a concern in this case. Have you recently made any hardware changes to the computer? Memory upgrades, for instance.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Agreed but, where did the 13" come from? It is not listed in the op. I did specify which screen sizes were affected since the screen size was not specified.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Post #3, which I quoted, says it's a 13".

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Thank for the correction. Sorry I missed post 3 and the quote in your post (I must be 13" challenged). I'm glad you caught that and posted to help the OP and not waste their efforts going in the wrong direction. :p

If I had known it was a 13" I would not have bothered to type post 2 about Radeongate. It is so much fun trying to help with incomplete information. :rolleyes: Oh well, it probably will not be the last time.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    OP:
    Have you tried booting to Recovery (hold command+r keys at start up)?

What OS were you using?

Have you been able to try the Apple Hardware Test (AHT)? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Do you have a backup?

8. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Alternatively its possible to either do BGA reballing ($50) or BGA reballing with AMD chip replacement ($35), less than $100 in either case. However, its possible to completely disable a discrete GPU through a EFI variable, forcing it to use integrated only all the time to make MBP usable! Here are the instructions - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/