Kernel Panic on boot, and freezes.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wordoflife, Sep 23, 2012.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Hi

I have a MacBook Pro 13" - 2010, 2.4 GHZ c2d with 10.7 on it.

Basically the computer froze when I was using it. I tried restarting it but it keeps kernel panicking as it spinning thing, well, spins

Ive tried a smc reset, and pram. I was able to boot from my 10.6 disc and open disc utility, but I didn't try a Repair Disc Permissions, Seeing that it is an older version. Ideally, I would like to keep my files intact and thought that I would mess it up by using a 10.6 version. I tried pressing control plus R when booting up but it would not load lion recovery.

Is there anything obvious that I have missed?

Cheers and thank you in advance.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It is possible that the HDD failed. Hopefully you have a backup(if you don't this is where you learn that you should.) Have you upgraded any components in the system recently? If so, switch them back to the originals.

Try booting in safe mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

If that doesn't work, you've probably got a hardware issue. Try running Apple Hardware test. It should be on one of the DVDs that came with your MBP.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

3. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Thanks. It looks like a RAM issue. I custom installed 8GB a long time ago, but just recently got it back from Apple Repair and that's when the issues started happening. I wonder if they're at fault, or not as I've had many repairs with the 8GB of RAM installed. :confused: I wouldn't know if they swapped my RAM or something.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Try re-seating your RAM.

5. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple screwed some screws way too tight ... I can't take a few of them out with my #00 screw driver.

Scheduled a repair with Apple. Will let them figure it out and see what happens from there.

6. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Got it back from Apple, they replaced the Logic Board and RAM. :)