kernel panic OSX lion please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cairog, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Cairog macrumors newbie

I installed osx lion on my MacBook pro and now every single time I turn on my computer after I sign in I get a kernel panic. I have no idea of what to do I fixed the partitions and that didn't work I tried to install my original snow leapord and it says I can't install mac Osx, I can still sign in on safe mode but I have no clue of what to do. Someone please help I desperatly need the comp back to normal for school thanks!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

Did you get this from demonoid or the pirate bay? Just asking.

You will need to re-install snow leopard. When you get to the main screen when once snow leopard disk is in your computer, at the top of the screen, there is a menu bar. Go to disk utility and you will need to re-fromat the disk. If there is another way, I am unaware of it.

3. /user/me macrumors 6502

You do know that some people have Lion early right? Shipped right from :apple:.... I know. I've seen the disc. Theyre called developers....

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

Uh, yes I know that developers have had Lion for a while. But I would think if the OP was a developer, they would know how to put snow leopard back on their machine. ;)

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

Haha!!!! I never thought about that. :D You raise an interesting point.. Haha. soo.. how bout them bears?

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

7. Blipp macrumors 6502

I would also think a developer with access to Lion would know how to use the Apple Developer Forums for these kinds of questions/issue reporting or at the very least the MacRumors 10.7 Lion forum...:rolleyes:

Sounds to me like a pirate version of Lion that is getting killed when it tried to authenticate with the Apple servers since the laptop is not registered as a part of the dev program.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's obviously a pirated version - the real developers do know where to go for assistance.

9. Cairog thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to reinstall leapord but will ivlose all my data? I just don't wanna lose anything that's why i'm asking for any other solutions

10. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

You have several options during the OS reinstall. Why don't you go ahead and try it. :)

11. Blipp macrumors 6502

If you tried to install a pirated copy of Lion on an unregistered machine I don't think there is a way for you to recover what data is on there as they've essentially locked it barring a wipe and reinstall.

You could try recovering files by booting the Mac in transfer mode but that's all the help I'm going to give you on the matter. Next time don't pirate the OS betas and you won't lock yourself out of your machine.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Anyone who has OSx Lion is supposed to be a developer, who would know full well how to deal with this. A smart developer doesn't put a developer preview on their main machine unless it's on a separate partition from the regular OSx. Developers also know that the preview versions are likely to be unstable and keep multiple backups of their important data.

13. HBOC macrumors 68020

You will LOSE all data, no way around it. That is what you risk when pirating software, or even trying to use a beta release of an OS that is not close to a stable, final release. If it was an open PUBLIC beta (like what Microsoft did with the RC release of W7), that is one thing to use, but using a pirated developers (sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it?) seed of 10.7 is risky at best.

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

Only other thing I can think of is perhaps take it to Apple and see if they can pull the data you need off of it. Other than that...

15. weckart macrumors 68040

If you can't get it to start in Target mode, yank the hard drive out, put it in a external case and find another mac or pc with hfs+ support and get your data out that way. It is not that difficult if you can find another mac to use.

16. macimby macrumors newbie

I'm confused how he could lose data if the problems started as soon as he installed lion? Maybe he didn't he start with a fresh build or didn't realize it's worth doing a full image backup right before installing experimental software? I guess not.

I'm not savvy enough with Macs to know what works on Macs, but I know of three general approaches to salvaging data before rebuilding one's software image:

1. Couldn't he couldn't remove the hard drive and plug it into a desktop Mac (as an extra drive) to copy important files to another external or flash drive?

2. Is there some way for him to boot to OS X Snow Leopard from a bootable CD-ROM image in order to get it working long enough to back up key files?

3. Is there some kind of image backup software (Clonezilla?) that can boot to its own CD-ROM emergency boot disc, and enable backup-up of key files or all files? (This assumes he can create an emergency boot disc on a working Mac first.)

17. HBOC macrumors 68020

The OP has to be doing something wrong while trying to re-install OS X. He is probably just trying to install SL w/o formatting. That is why you should leave DEVELOPERS' Build of an OS to, surprise, Developers. (or if you are willing to get hosed ;) )

I say just take it in to Apple if you are having problems. That is the easiest and quickest way to get back up and running.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why would Apple help him? Lion is not available to non-developers and the store people have better things to do than help with pirated software.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Developers are under NDA and wouldn't be posting this on MacRumors. Let's just make this clear: If you are a developer then you know that installing pre-release software on your computer may cause all kinds of trouble, and if you run into trouble, you're on your own. If you are not a developer, then you may not know it, but installing pre-release software on your computer may cause all kinds of trouble, and if you run into trouble, you're on your own, and you got exactly what you deserve.

You won't lose _everything_. You will have gained an important lesson that stays with you for life: Don't use pirated software.

20. /user/me macrumors 6502

They make them sign a non-disclosure? I guess it's not too farfetched since apple loves to lockdown their products

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They might, they might not. Those of us who are members of a developer program can't say as if we had signed an NDA we'd be breaching it...

22. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Dude, really? You installed a beta version of an OS on your machine AND don't have your stuff backed up? :confused:

Frankly, I DL a copy of Lion, too; but I installed on an external HDD and, when I want to amuse myself, I boot into the external HDD and mess around with it.

23. dime21 macrumors 6502

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!! -deep breath- AAahahahahahahahahaha!!! Funny stuff, that! Sounds like the OP should've bought a Dell. lol.

24. HBOC macrumors 68020

You never know, I have heard crazier stories. Funny how the OP has disappeared..

25. goMac macrumors 603

OP uses beta, unreleased software and is suprised when it crashes?

If you're doing important things, don't use developer betas. There is a reason you can't buy it on store shelves yet.