Kernel_task usage after El Capitan rMBP 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pedro Pinto, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Pedro Pinto macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

Hello everyone.

Many of you have probably noticed the huge amounts of CPU & MEM kernel_task is consuming (at least in MBP).

I've been looking around for solutions and I only read about a way which would deactivate kernel itself. However, I don't actually know if it's safe since it is composed by core files which should be important for OS normal functioning.

Are you aware of the problem and eventually the solution?

Cheers

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I don't have that problem. I have a 2015 15" MBP that has been on El Cap for about a month and my kernel task runs around 2% - 4% of CPU, which on the quad that's about 0.5% - 1% of total CPU.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no way to disable it as KT is required to run the OS. What amount of CPU and RAM usage are you seeing that you are concerned about.

Typically high RAM/CPU usage by KT is just a symptom of some process KT is managing that is causing the problem and not an issue with KT itself. Tell us more about what you are seeing and we can help trouble shoot.

4. Pedro Pinto thread starter macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

Thank you both for the responses.

Actually, the most strange thing is the MEM part. Before, with Yosemite, I was perfectly working with 700/800MB consumption and these values wouldn't go higher than that, even if I got multitask/window. Now, at the time I boot up my rMBP I almost instantly see MEM usage of 1.2GB (I'm using iStat).

When I check for MEM usage in iStat Menus, being idle, with no computer usage, kernel_task is using 1/1.5GB of MEM.

If I'm structuring a powerpoint presentation it goes up to 2.5/3.0GB of MEM usage after few hours.

I didn't install anything later which could justify the amount of resources consumed.

5. Pedro Pinto thread starter macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That does not sound like unusually high memory usage. You mentioned you are also seeing high CPU usage?

Form one OS X version to the next they change the way memory is managed, so I don't think it is of much use to compare one version to the next.

If you open Activity Monitor and go to the memory tab is the bottom memory pressure section in the green?

7. Pedro Pinto thread starter macrumors member

Pedro Pinto

High CPU is not a constant. It randomly goes up (specially while I'm on PowerPoint and it shouldn't happen with it, I guess).

Some times it really feels like throttling and kind of laggy.

In activity monitor its green, yes.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603