MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since OS X El Capitan was released to the public last week, Microsoft Office users have noticed some serious bugs when attempting to use the software. MacRumors has received multiple emails from people having issues with Office 2016, and there are several threads about the problem on our forums.

Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint are crashing for many Microsoft users who have installed Office 2016, and Office 2011 users are also noticing problems with Outlook.

officeformac2016-800x159.jpg

Microsoft is aware of the problems with its software and has been responding to customer complaints. In a thread on the Microsoft forums, Microsoft Program Manager Faisal Jeelani said the company is working with Apple to resolve the issues, but said there is no timeline for a fix. Microsoft also gave Computerworld a similar statement:
"We know that some users may be experiencing issues with Office 2016 for Mac running on El Capitan," the statement read. "We are actively investigating the matter with Apple. Until there is a fix, we recommend people install the latest updates to Office 2016 for Mac using Microsoft AutoUpdate."
Customers who are running Office 2016 are running into a wide variety of problems. Some are seeing only occasional crashes with the software, while others are unable to open any Office 2016 apps at all. Many who use Outlook for email are unable to access their inboxes, and this particular issue affects both Office 2016 and Office 2011.
I even did a fresh install of El Cap and then did a fresh install of 2015 Office. The whole office suite just bounces when I try to load a file. The programs freeze when using them and then crazy. I just keep sending the crash reports to Microsoft. I thought it was more widespread but apparently it is just me. I uninstalled 2016 office and went back to 2011.
Microsoft's first support replies came shortly after OS X El Capitan was released, which means the company has been working on a fix for several days now, but it is not clear when a patch might be released. Many customers on the Microsoft forums are growing angry with the company because Microsoft had several months to work out crashing issues ahead of OS X El Capitan's release. Crashes and Office 2016 problems were first reported during the beta testing period but remain unresolved.

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson has told MacRumors that a fix is in the works.
"We know that some users of Office 2016 for Mac are experiencing issues as a result of upgrading to Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan. We are actively working with Apple towards resolution."

Article Link: Microsoft Working on Fix for Office Bugs in OS X El Capitan

MikeVarney

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
We had this issue after the El Cap upgrade. Clicking on any of the Office apps would just show them as Not Responding in the Force Quit list. When Force Quit-ting the first one of the apps, suddenly a prompt appeared which was the request to access an item in my KeyRing (which normally appears for me after each Office upgrade). After allowing office access to the item, it's worked fine ever since.

I only had this issue though on 1 of the 4 machines I've upgraded thus far.

-- M

Reactions: Apple2007
Comment

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
UK
The Curse of 32-bit...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 18.15.46.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 18.15.46.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,224
Reactions: John.B
Comment

magicvash

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
I've been lucky I suppose and have had good results with Office 2016 on El Cap running the betas, but a huge annoyance is they got rid of full screen with Outlook after one of the early Outlook preview releases. Not sure why they felt the need to do that since it was working just fine.

Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
At least they aren't charging for the patch, right?

One day soon, these patches will only be available to those who have an active Office360 subscription, as compatibility with a new OS will be seen as a "new feature" worthy of an "annual release."

Comment

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
mine crashes every time i try to select the text of more than one page at once. it turns the page black for a split second before word crashes.

Reactions: Cameron Hood
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This is why you don't upgrade immediately if you use your Mac for work. Glad I held back on my work machine!! Loving El Cap at home though.

Comment

VulchR

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Microsoft hasn't exactly knocked itself out in the past trying to remove bugs in Office.

Moreover, they are using the same type of spellchecker they started using in the 1980's - namely a spellchecker that is not context-dependent and check only a word at a time (so 'tot he' is fine when 'to the' is the desired spelling).

Comment

keiths29

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Florida

Since OS X El Capitan was released to the public last week, Microsoft Office users have noticed some serious bugs when attempting to use the software. MacRumors has received multiple emails from people having issues with Office 2016, and there are several threads about the problem on our forums.

Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint are crashing for many Microsoft users who have installed Office 2016, and Office 2011 users are also noticing problems with Outlook.

officeformac2016-800x159.jpg

Microsoft is aware of the problems with its software and has been responding to customer complaints. In a thread on the Microsoft forums, Microsoft Program Manager Faisal Jeelani said the company is working with Apple to resolve the issues, but said there is no timeline for a fix. Microsoft also gave Computerworld a similar statement:Customers who are running Office 2016 are running into a wide variety of problems. Some are seeing only occasional crashes with the software, while others are unable to open any Office 2016 apps at all. Many who use Outlook for email are unable to access their inboxes, and this particular issue affects both Office 2016 and Office 2011.Microsoft's first support replies came shortly after OS X El Capitan was released, which means the company has been working on a fix for several days now, but it is not clear when a patch might be released. Many customers on the Microsoft forums are growing angry with the company because Microsoft had several months to work out crashing issues ahead of OS X El Capitan's release. Crashes and Office 2016 problems were first reported during the beta testing period but remain unresolved.

Article Link: Microsoft Working on Fix for Office Bugs in OS X El Capitan

Comment

keiths29

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Florida
At least I'm not the only one. A couple of minor issues are expected, but a failure in Outlook and Exchange Server. How do you miss that in beta testing? We run everything off of our Exchange server, and having to use Mail and Calendar is just a pain. If no one has said it yet, perhaps El Crapitan would have been a more appropriate name. While your at it, fix the issues with HP printer/scanner drivers.

Comment

donstenk

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
The Hague
The killer for me is that One Drive for Business is officially completely incompatible with 10.11. If they don't come up with a patch soon I'll have to install Yosemite or Mavericks. Never liked Yosemite, El Capitan is faster but still buggy. I had no idea it was such a major upgrade.

Reactions: kramerdude
Comment

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
I was having many worse issues during the Public Beta over the summer, with all kinds of weird display bugs in Outlook especially. They fixed several of the most glaring bugs, but also took away full-screen support (which they HAD working earlier) in the process. In my repeated tweets back and forth with the Office for Mac team, they reiterated that El Cap was just a beta and to expect bad behavior - DUH. The point of the beta was also so they could test and fix their software before public release, which they seemed to have limited interest in doing...

Comment

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Brussels, belgium
I've been using office since beta on my Mac and was lucky because I didn't had many crashes.
And yes I use it extensively, I link to a SQL and analyse data.

Lync 2011 on the other hand crashes very frequently.

I hope Microsofts reign on general office apps is soon over. But I doubt it... I mean apple could have released a good upgrade to their iwork apps a long time ago. But they never did, I bet they have some secret gentlemen's agreement going on for 'saving ' apples ass in the nineties

Reactions: Mystic Eddy
Comment

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
mine works generally well minus a couple of crashes (not good given its only been about 2 days). also the icons get mixed up. e.g. the powerpoint icon changed to word

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 18.39.18.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 18.39.18.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: Jamalien
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.