Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Them having a G+ page is irrelevant. If they have a Google account, that's what matters. If they have a gmail, youtube, or any other Google account, then they are already there. If a person is using an Android phone, then 9/10, they already are using a Google account.

Why are you bringing up G+?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because much of the function rumored functionality presently existings within G+. As quoted in the recent Verge article..

...rumors have been swirling that Google is working on a cross-platform messaging service called Babel that will tie together all of its existing communication products, from Google Talk and Hangouts to Voice and Google+ Messenger

My point was that if people aren't using it now, what is going to make them use it in the future, and thus make it a worthwhile app?

And as many have been stating in this thread already, if it's not integrated into a single Messaging app in Android (that would include SMS if the user doesn't have Babel), it's barely different than having to open any number of existing secondary messaging apps, i.e. Facebook.

I admittedly don't know much about Babel so I understand I'm possibly way off the mark. If they could integrate all of the existing Google services 'messaging' functionality into a single platform/app AND integrate SMS for those users that don't have Babel functionality, in my eyes it would be a killer app, especially as it appears there will be iOS compatibility (vs. iMessage only being available to iOS users). And apparently, I'm not alone in this line of thought. Again, for the linked Verge article...

...but there’s one core Apple advantage in the messaging space that Babel might not match out of the gate, and that’s integration with your existing SMS service. That could change if rumors of Google Voice integration down the road are true, but the omission would single-handedly keep Babel from becoming a pure iMessage replacement for many, regardless of whatever other niceties Babel brings to the table.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I thought the X was meant to be the first device to get it though ?

Where did you hear that? The Galaxy Nexus was the first new device to come out with Ice Cream Sandwich. The first gen Nexus 7 was the first new device to come out with Jelly Bean. The Nexus 4 was the first new device to come out with Jelly Bean 4.2.

So judging from history, it would make sense that the first device to come out with KLP will be a Nexus device. And from all the rumors going around, the Motorola/Google X Phone is not in the same category as a Nexus.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Where did you hear that? The Galaxy Nexus was the first new device to come out with Ice Cream Sandwich. The first gen Nexus 7 was the first new device to come out with Jelly Bean. The Nexus 4 was the first new device to come out with Jelly Bean 4.2.

So judging from history, it would make sense that the first device to come out with KLP will be a Nexus device. And from all the rumors going around, the Motorola/Google X Phone is not in the same category as a Nexus.

Number of sources along the way...

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...ter-points-towards-key-lime-pie-debut-1136954

http://www.stuff.tv/news/phone/rumour-mill/motorola-x-phone-delayed-till-august
The first phone expected to arrive with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, the Motorola X is also rumoured to pack Qualcomm's beastly 2GHz Snapdragon 800 processor, a huge 4000mAh battery and even a sapphire glass screen for the ultimate scratch resistance.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

They both say that it is thought to be the first device with KLP, but neither say why it is thought that.

Do they believe it will be the first with KLP because people believe it will be the first? Or do they have sources that they just aren't listing?

I am not saying it won't happen. I just think history is stacked against it. And really, both could be announced at Google I/O and both could have KLP.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They both say that it is thought to be the first device with KLP, but neither say why it is thought that.

Do they believe it will be the first with KLP because people believe it will be the first? Or do they have sources that they just aren't listing?

I am not saying it won't happen. I just think history is stacked against it. And really, both could be announced at Google I/O and both could have KLP.

Probably just guesswork like most analyst predictions about apple product tbh.

If the X has been delayed to August at the earliest, chances are the next Nexus phone may beat it to the punch also.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd like to see 5.0 take more advantage of this beefy hardware phones are coming with. A desktop mode would also be nice.

Indeed with hdmi out it would be nice to hook up to a monitor/TV , connect Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and have a desktop tablet like experience.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Probably just guesswork like most analyst predictions about apple product tbh.

If the X has been delayed to August at the earliest, chances are the next Nexus phone may beat it to the punch also.

Nexus 5 isn't coming out til October/November. If a Nexus is going to be the first to get KLP, which I am betting it will, then my money is on the next gen Nexus 7.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Oh, I don't know, maybe because much of the function rumored functionality presently existings within G+. As quoted in the recent Verge article..
And again, my question would be, why are you bringing up G+?

My point was that if people aren't using it now, what is going to make them use it in the future, and thus make it a worthwhile app?
It is clear that you aren't familiar with why this came along and what its purpose is. That's not your fault though.

I admittedly don't know much about Babel so I understand I'm possibly way off the mark.
That much is quite clear, and made apparent by your curious mention of G+ earlier....which I'm still not sure why you brought up.

If they could integrate all of the existing Google services 'messaging' functionality into a single platform/app AND integrate SMS for those users that don't have Babel functionality, in my eyes it would be a killer app, especially as it appears there will be iOS compatibility (vs. iMessage only being available to iOS users). And apparently, I'm not alone in this line of thought. Again, for the linked Verge article...
My point has never been that it wouldn't be good. In its current form, it simply isn't what the goal or purpose of the app is. Right now, it is for people who use Google services (millions of people).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you sent me a group message from iMessage, I would have no idea who is all in the chat. It would only show their phone numbers. I'd have no pictures, names, or anything identifying. Also, when I receive it, I cannot remove myself from it...so if I want to leave it, I'm just stuck receiving unwanted messages.

Well I'm not typically in a group with people I don't know. And when I am their mysterious phone number is no different then their mystery name. If I don't know you telling me your name and showing me even a picture of you isn't very helpful.

Your carrier can block messages (they need a number not a name or picture btw). But of course you can't remove yourself its a group message not a chat room.

I use Facebook messenger for what you are describing. Has names, pictures, you can leave it, etc etc. You are talking social networking. I'm not all that interested in that being even more integrated into my phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Nexus 5 isn't coming out til October/November. If a Nexus is going to be the first to get KLP, which I am betting it will, then my money is on the next gen Nexus 7.

Agreed. The upgraded n7 will probably release shortly after the may conference, and the other nexus phones will get it at the same time.

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
And again, my question would be, why are you bringing up G+?

It is clear that you aren't familiar with why this came along and what its purpose is. That's not your fault though.

That much is quite clear, and made apparent by your curious mention of G+ earlier....which I'm still not sure why you brought up.

My point has never been that it wouldn't be good. In its current form, it simply isn't what the goal or purpose of the app is. Right now, it is for people who use Google services (millions of people).

Absolutely agree with you. I have both Mac and Android devices and quite frankly iMessages was a waste of time for Apple. It only works for die hard Apple fans. I don't have it enabled and GChat is much more beneficial since there are tons more users on that.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Absolutely agree with you. I have both Mac and Android devices and quite frankly iMessages was a waste of time for Apple. It only works for die hard Apple fans. I don't have it enabled and GChat is much more beneficial since there are tons more users on that.

All the people i know wont bother with it and still use whatsapp, i only use it for the lady.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Your carrier can block messages (they need a number not a name or picture btw). But of course you can't remove yourself its a group message not a chat room.
That's an awful lot of trouble to go through just to remove yourself from a group message. To go as far as to block people just to accomplish that, is a bit ridiculous.

I use Facebook messenger for what you are describing. Has names, pictures, you can leave it, etc etc. You are talking social networking. I'm not all that interested in that being even more integrated into my phone.
No... I'm talking about what actual group messaging is. What you're talking about is something that falls quite short, and is quite frankly a terrible implementation of so-called group messaging. Sorry, but it's just plain bad.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
No... I'm talking about what actual group messaging is. What you're talking about is something that falls quite short, and is quite frankly a terrible implementation of so-called group messaging. Sorry, but it's just plain bad.

I can't wait to see it since it is being described as so much better than anything else out there where messages can go to groups of people (note, I didn't say group messaging since apparently Babel has a TM on that :)) or social network messaging.

Looking forward to it.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
So I saw the next update won't be KLP after all. Does anyone know if that means Babel is getting pushed back too?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Key lime pie release date?

Anybody know when it's time expected to be out and do you reckon S4 users would get it straight away? Or will it take time for users to get it?

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Key Lime Pie isn't out yet. Jelly Bean 4.2 is the latest major revision.

If history is any prognosticator, then Key Lime will be announced/released in November along with the new Nexus phone and tablet(s).

In the past google has made the new OS revision available on the newly introduced devices first and then staggered the release for older devices later.

New devices will be first, with the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7/10 to follow in a day or two, then the Galaxy Nexus. I seriously doubt that the Nexus S will be given an official update for Key Lime because that phone is already slow running Ice Cream/Jelly Bean

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Anybody know when it's time expected to be out and do you reckon S4 users would get it straight away? Or will it take time for users to get it?

Probably a few months later (4+). The carriers and samsung will both have to get their hands on the update first

Key Lime Pie isn't out yet. Jelly Bean 4.2 is the latest major revision.

If history is any prognosticator, then Key Lime will be announced/released in November along with the new Nexus phone and tablet(s).

In the past google has made the new OS revision available on the newly introduced devices first and then staggered the release for older devices later.

New devices will be first, with the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7/10 to follow in a day or two, then the Galaxy Nexus. I seriously doubt that the Nexus S will be given an official update for Key Lime because that phone is already slow running Ice Cream/Jelly Bean

I wonder where the google edition phones will fall in that timeline. I would think they will push updates out the same time as the n4. Hopefully they are phones that get support for a long time since hardware wise they will remain relevant for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.