Keyboard backlight levels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerBook-G5, Nov 15, 2014.

1. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Hey, I just have two questions regarding the backlight keyboard of MacBooks:

1) When I'm using my MBP, is there a way to make the keyboard backlight dimmer than the first level? Sometimes it just seems awfully bright.

2) What level do you typically keep your backlight on? I'm just wondering, because anything over the third dot seems bright enough for almost all situations, and the max brightness is complete overkill (for me) and would burn my eyes if I used it at that level all the time.

Thanks

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

1) I don't think there is a way to go lower other than to just turn it off

2) I let the laptop determine the brightness for me. In system preferences there is a checkbox (under keyboard) that has it auto adjust the light so I rarely mess with it manually.

3. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

If you learn to type, you won't need to look at the keys or the backlight.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's a bit over simplified. I've been a touch typist for over 40 years – still can type at 70 wpm – but, there are keys that I just don't bother creating muscle memory for, such as the brightness, volume, and other special keys, that are different from machine to machine (unless all of yours are just a couple years old).

For the OP, try opt-shift and the brightness keys. You will find 4 levels lower than the normal minimum. The key combination also works for fine adjustment of volume and display brightness.

5. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I meant it as tongue-in-cheek. But I find it's better to memorize where such keys are. The brightness is the second and third keys from the top left corner and the volume is second and third keys from the top right corner.

btw, That's a cool feature about micro adjustment!

6. PowerBook-G5 thread starter macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Thanks for the Option-Shift trick, it works great! As for learning to type properly, I'm currently learning to do so, but I still need to have the backlight on for some things, such as when typing special characters and such (haven't memorized where all of them are yet). Thanks for your help!