Keyboard cover... are B$

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MrXiro, Jul 11, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I bought an MCover case for my MBA and it came with a keyboard protector/cover... ugh... I hate it.

Wondering what everyone else' opinion on these things are. Does anyone actually like having one of these sticky/ugly things on their beautiful Macbook?

2. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I have the Moshi ClearGuard keyboard cover and it’s been pretty great. It takes a little while to get used to, but it’s very thin and not only protects your MBA from spills, but also from your keys getting shiny and worn down. While I still prefer the typing experience without a keyboard skin, for me it’s worth it to keep my MBA in pristine condition, which will help the resale value a little. The only complaint I have with the Moshi cover is that after a while it starts to turn foggy, but it goes back to near perfect condition if you wash it with some warm soap and water. Anyway, if you want to ensure your keyboard is in perfect condition I’d totally recommend a cover.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I had the Moshi cover as well and I didn't like having to wash it all the time because it became cloudy; eventually it wouldn't wash off.

So I've moved to the iSkin cover; this one seems to work well. I use it because I sometimes eat greasy food (ie: chips, etc.) while typing and the keyboard cover is easier to clean than the keyboard keys themselves.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

I could have used these a while back when computing under a tree when I used to smoke. Periodically, a bug would land on the keyboard and crawl under a key before I had time to shoo it away. :eek:

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I hate these covers too, but is there any alternative way to protect the keys from excessive use? Or maybe a source for replacement keys? I can predict I would need replacements for ASDW keys in the future if I didn't have a cover.

7. philxor macrumors regular

I've been using the Moshi cover for about 4 months now and it has worked pretty well. It does get cloudy so I end up cleaning it every few weeks, but I have yet to encounter a case where it does not get clear again. I've gotten used to typing on it although it is definitely not as good as typing on a keyboard without it, it's worth it to keep the keyboard area clean. The iSkin one looks nice and if it doesn't need to be cleaned periodically may be a better option than the Moshi.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I just dont worry about the keys - these things are meant to be used, not kept in museum quality - at least thats how I look at it.

9. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I have iSkin covers on my wireless keyboard and on my White MacBook and they've worked very well. I just bought a Moshi for my new MacBook Pro, but it hasn't been delivered yet. If I don't like it as well, I'll end up purchasing another iSkin cover.

10. molala macrumors 6502a

I've had the Moshi cover since 2009 and I've gotten used to it, I do wash it every month or 2. It's not just the greasy fingers, it's the accidental liquid spill that worried me, so I got it. Only problem I ever had was I nearly lost it outdoors one windy day.

11. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I had a Moshi one last year and didn’t like it. It seemed sticky and hindered my typing. I then bought an iSkin one (with the black keys and allows for the backlit keyboard to ‘shine’ through) which I like a lot more. Like another poster said, I do prefer the feel of typing without the cover, but it is worth it to keep the keyboard looking new.

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Use/enjoy your MBA... keys are meant to be typed on, so what if they show a little of how much you loved typing on them? :apple:

13. DrDomVonDoom macrumors 6502

DrDomVonDoom

I agree, my wireless Keyboard I noticed has a few keys that have rubbed the matte finish too much and it now has a glossy look to them in the light. I don't mind its kinda my little reminder to how much I use my Mac. :D

14. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

15. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Exactly. Why protect something from being used as its meant to be used?

On a side note, I also don't get why people (myself included ironically and possibly hypocritically) feel the need to protect their laptops nowadays as if they're super fragile. Before buying my first MBP a few years ago, I never bought any protection for my laptops (cases, skins, covers, etc) other than a carry bag/briefcase. Now, I feel like I'm going to ruin my MBA or MBP without adequate scratch/bump/whatever protection. I even feel the same way about my iPad. I couldn't even use it naked (it, not me) until I got it in a case and a screen protector out for fear of scratching it....

16. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I too have a moshi because I occasionally eat breakfast in front of my computer (or on a plane) reading the NY times etc. I just don't want muffin and OJ in there :rolleyes:

When I'm really layin' into the board though I whip it right off and set it aside because you can tell it's there (kind of like other latex products).

17. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

It's pretty normal to want to protect your device when you first get it. That whole "new purchase euphoria" can have that effect... kinda like maintaining that new car smell. :)

I used to worry about resale value but since switching to the Aluminum enclosures, I've found it HARD to cause any damage. As far as a little shine on the keys goes, I've never had a single comment on when selling my machines. New buyers just see a Mac...

REAALLLY though! If it gives peace of mind, cover it. :apple:

Mmmmmmm... muffin.

Lol... and like other latex products, it's harder to feel what you're doing... :)

USE LATEX ANYWAYS

18. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

I've never understood covers, to me the product looks good and I want to see it and show it off, so why hide it with a cover, i know its going to keep it from looking greasy but then it takes away from whole aspect of it being a nice looking product. To each his own though.

19. Typswif2fingers, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

When I bought my MBP, for the first month or so I used it without any cover, however I noticed that the keys especially the right hand half of the space bar, "a" and "s" keys have become fairly shiny.

After this I purchased the Moshi clear guard.

Have to say that I have not been able to decide to stop using it. As much as I hate the feeling of typing with through the cover, I also hate having shiny keys... Hence I am kinda stuck.

I never owned the older MBPs with that metallic colour keys, silver, gold.. sorry not sure what colour were... But I was wondering if people who used them had "problems" with shiny keys.

Note: I understand that shiny keys aren't really a problem in a technical manner of speaking.. I am just obsessive compulsive when it comes to the cleanliness of the screen, shiny keys etc...

20. emailsfh macrumors member

Keyboard covers are not for looks. They protect against real, sometimes fatal damage to your computer/keyboard. Everything from hair, lint, bugs, buggars, crumbs, etc., to much more serious situations. In my case, it also buys you an extra minute to save your computer in case of a spill. This happened to my wife's MBA last week. Without the keyboard cover and some very quick action on my part, it would have been death by coffee. So unless you never take risks with your computer, they're definitely worth it. If you think they're ugly, you could just plop it on when you're drinking or eating or whatever.

21. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

They need to make them spill proof, other laptops are why has this not been made a standard, especially with macs as we pay to have an above average product.

22. philxor macrumors regular

I didn't have a problem with shiny keys with the old metallic keys, but I did wear the paint off of them...

23. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I don't care much about the looks... it's more the typing on this squishy mushy material... feels kind of gross.

24. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

The moshi clear guard does feel significantly different from the rest, though

25. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Does the Moshi keyboard protector for the 2010 MBA 11" also fit the 2011 MBA 11" model?

BTW, I have one for an MBP 17" and think the Moshi has the right balance of compromise in protection and resistance to the keys being pressed..