Keyboard cover for MBA 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vazelos, Aug 24, 2011.

1. vazelos macrumors member

Whats a good keyboard cover under $10 or so that will not block out the light?

2. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

How would that work, it would touch the screen and give smudges of finger-grease onto the screen?
    I'm happy the keys don't touch the screen on this one.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

"Good" and "under $10" usually don't belong in the same sentence. :D

Good is this.

Under $10, well, I'll let someone else go there.

4. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

well excuse me :eek:

Does that smudge the screen like the poster above you mentioned?

5. geekygeek macrumors regular

I have a 13" MacBook Air, too. I have a screen protector, a speck clear case (sent them a complaint yesterday or scratching my air) moshi palm guard and A KEYBOARD COVER. I have one that is 5.99. I bought one off ebay, the first one was black with the keys already imprinted but it was for the previous generation so I emailed the guy and he sent me a clear one instead. http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEAR-Silicone-...193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b21ee309
    This doesn't not leave any keyboard markings on my screen. I had the problem 1-2 times, but not very often. I try to press the lid while it is closed but still no markings on screen I would really recommend that one.

6. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

ty for the link but it states it's for the macbook and theres no mention of the Air but there is for other models... can you provide me with an amazon link as I much prefer to do transactions through them, especially with the prime free 2 day shipping or $4 for next day

7. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Keyboard covers make Air's run too hot.

8. vazelos thread starter macrumors member

I`ll poke some holes in it :p

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

LOL, that will be great spill protection, well done!

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Don't know, haven't received mine yet. Will let you know as soon as I try it out.

11. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

He's right. Hot air vents through the back and through the spaces between the keys.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

And they are uncomfortable to type on.

Bought many, save your money.

Now if you are prone to splilling liquid on your MBA...like so many here...get one.

13. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Tried the marware and moshi, keeping the moshi.

1. Marware too thick, sticky, makes typing too difficult; effects my accuracy.

2. Moshi is thin, not tacky (sticky), doesn't interfere with typing. Does want to come off a bit more easily than the marware. Also can't wring out or abuse it while cleaning like the marware.

Both seem to leave key smudges on the screen, but I figure it's easier to clean that rather than the keyboard.

Not really a problem with running hot with either on my 13" i7. And it's clad in carbon fiber skin.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

16. richlee111 macrumors regular

I have been a big fan of the Moshi skins for many years on my Macbooks and Macbook Pros. Just like clyde2801 said, the Moshi's are thinner and more responsive then cheaper generic ones. What do I mean by responsiveness? Basically, its the ability of the skin to be able to "bounce" back quickly once you have pressed down and let go. For me, its really annoying to have that stuck key feeling when I am touch typing.

With my current 11" Air, I finally found a skin that IMO is better then Moshi's. The company is called Rearth. Given the 2 weeks that I have being using this thing, I give them high marks for the following:

- It is not too expensive. About $13
    - Super thin. Even thinner then the Moshi
    - Is engineered to be very responsive with the tops of their keys being angled
    - Has small, gutter-like holes on the side for venting of heat
    - Has both white and black outline colored skins that allow for the backlit keyboard lighting to show through

Check them out here.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

I just bought the Moshi and plan to use it primarily when I'm on an airplane because of the spill risk. I also took out a $40/year accidental damage insurance policy on it, but if a $25 piece of silicone will save the hassle it would be worth it.

18. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Just wear latex or latex-free nitrile gloves or apply small circular band-aids (like the ones you use to cover a zit) onto your fingertips before typing. :)

----------

In all seriousness, I use the Moshi which is more than $10 but is awesome.

19. Hai1242 macrumors member

This says it is not for MBA made after Oct 2010. Don't they have the same keyboard?

20. KPOM macrumors G5

The 11" has shorter function keys.

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I always worry about this so haven't used one.

22. geekygeek macrumors regular

I have the same one and it fits my 13" MacBook Air perfectly. I know it says MacBook but it still fits the air.

Mine doesn't run hot with the keyboard cover

but I did poke holes in mine. Just around the WASD keys, not because I'm a gamer but because people say its hot around there.

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

One thing to consider... I took your suggestion and went to their site, watched a reviewer from You Tube that I subscribe to, and decided to get one for my 13".

Only problem, despite what the drop down menu says, they actually haven't made the cover for new 13" Airs yet. When you order, it defaults to a MB keyboard cover. I sent them an email saying I somehow must have ordered the wrong cover. They responded by saying they don't make the cover yet, it's an error, and promptly cancelled my order. They hope to have the covers in the near future.

24. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I bought a tpu cover from eBay. $6. I wasn't going to spend more when I don't know if it causes eat issues... And frankly it looks just like the noshing and is made from the same material. I doubt there's much if any difference.

25. jpl6 macrumors member

I use a Moshi keyboard cover with a Radtech cloth on top of it (for when screen is closed).

Minimal heat increase even with screen closed. Definitely worth the money spent.