Keyboard Guard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vito, Jun 14, 2012.

1. vito macrumors 6502a

Anyone going to use a keyboard cover for their MBP retina?

Like the Moshi keyboard guard or something similar.

Thanks,

2. lsh macrumors 6502

I Would like to try it. Do you know if the moshi is MBPR compatible?

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

It's the same keyboard, so they should still fit.

4. medulla macrumors regular

I thought the MBPR was slightly smaller in terms of its Width?

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well yeah the width of the laptop is smaller, but that has nothing to do with the keyboard. The keyboard layout is standard for all MacBook's except for the 11" Air.

http://store.moshimonde.com/clearguard-mb-us-layout.html

6. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have the Moshi? There's also the one by MediaDevil.

The only aspect which really irritates me is the company logo on the space key!

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The cover I had for my 13" MBP fits on my rMBP's keyboard, but it is slightly too long as it flexes up in the middle.

It's not the Moshi though, and the ClearGuard clearly states support for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display so you should not have any issues with it, and if you do have issues with it, you should be able to return it without any issues.

8. iRobby, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012

iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

The page says it fits the MPBR:
    [​IMG]

9. thetechteen macrumors member

how much does it take away from the feel of the keyboard? do you really get used to it and forget it's there? Is it mainly to protect from spills, or is it mainly to keep dirt/oil off?

10. Fynd macrumors 6502

I have the Moshi Clearguard, I used to use it with the 15" 2011 MBP. It fits the MBPR a little better, actually, and seems to stay down better. So on that front, it's perfect.

In terms of use and feel, don't be fooled. It's a great accessory, as it does protect the keyboard and stops the unsightly wear that happens on these keyboards (nothing looks worse than a fantasticly designed laptop with a greasy shiny ruined keyboard), but it is noticable in terms of look and feel. It's nothing too bad, and i'll continue to use it, but it is a little mushy, and the clear part of the name goes away pretty quickly.

Also beware of heat issues, as these machines vent heat through the keyboard and this cover restricts that.

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I have the Moshi cover on my 2011 15" MBP, too. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's much better than any of the other ones I've tried. You do feel it, and it might slow your typing down a little at first, but you should adjust to it pretty quickly. It's super easy to clean, which is why I like it...just take it off, give it a wash in soapy water and let it dry. I've had it since last September and it still looks good as new.

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I read somewhere (Amazon I think?) that it easily wrinkles compared to silicon so you can't wring it out like a cloth, but rather, need to just let it sit and dry- is that correct?

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I haven't tried wringing it out before...there's not much bulk to it, so I didn't think it was necessary. I usually wash it, wipe it down with a towel or paper towel, then let it air dry the rest of the way overnight (want to make sure all the little corners are dry before I put it back on). Then it's good to go. It is very thin, so I suppose if you folded it and kept it that way for a while it might crease, but I don't think doing it for just a minute or so would cause any problems.

14. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I just got mine today for my rMBP. It seems as if the it doesn't really fit on the keys to keep it on. It is cut good, but the don't like really stay on the keys. Is that how yours is too?

15. katmeef macrumors 6502

I got the marware keyboard cover they sell in store, initially it had a bit of a sticky feel but that seems to be wearing away with use. Found if I close the laptop entirely it tends to stick to the screen when opening, so I avoid closing it now..

16. ihasiphone macrumors newbie

17. hogsdill macrumors member

Wow, that is a great price. I will order it as well.

I also recommend Moshi's PalmGuard. I have it on my current MBP. It blends in with the color of the MacBook. Most people don't even realize that it is there.

18. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Go with Moshi. It is the thinnest one out there.

I've had mine for a couple years and it looks brand new. I clean it every two weeks because it does get grimy. :D
    I do remove it on occasion because I like the feel of the real keyboard.

19. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

On my 15" 2011 MBP it fits perfectly. It stays put, doesn't shift around at all.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been any air intake or exhaust vents through the keyboard on any Mac notebook. For all Mac notebooks except the MBP-Retina, both intake and exhaust has always been through the vents in the rear near the hinge. The new MBP-Retina has intake vents along the sides at the bottom and exhaust through the rear vents, near the hinge. This arrangement allows for venting with the lid open or closed (for operating in clamshell mode). There is a solid panel under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow.
    [​IMG]

21. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

It's hard to explain. It stays in place, but they there is space between the keys and the cover. It's not a flush fit.

22. Fynd macrumors 6502

I'm sure anyone that pushes their machines at all will tell you otherwise, though, despite this being the case. My RMBP gushes heat from the keys and it's amplified by the clearguard.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heat radiates in all directions and dissipates through the body, including the keyboard, but there is no venting through the keyboard.

24. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Would a clear guard hurt the dispersion of heat?