Keyboard leaving marks on my MacBook screen when closed. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Platinum0285, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Platinum0285 macrumors newbie

I've noticed that every time I open up my AluMacBook the keyboard keys have left an imprint on my screen. It's not noticeable when I turn on my screen but when the MacBook is powered off the keys are clearly marked on the glass screen. I'm curious to see if this is common and if I should try to get my MacBook replaced because of this. Scarred that this might come to scratch my screen someday. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

This was also a pretty common problem on the old MacBooks. I don't know if that is a sign of a defective model with the new ones, but maybe you should get a protective cloth to place on the keys for when you close the screen. That'd be a temporary fix at least.

3. MGLXP macrumors regular

It's normal.

4. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I had that on my previous MacBook on which I used the keyboard quite a lot. I also noticed this after a year and half. I've not noticed that on my current one yet. I got it in May 2008, and have been using an external keyboard for 90% of the time. So, I would say yes, this is probably normal. Regardless of how much we wash our hands, there will always be some "oil" on our fingers.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This is a common thing with any glossy screen - the display touches the keyboard. That's why I have a Marware protection pack on my MacBook that comes with a microfibre cloth for the keyboard.

6. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

DEFINITELY not normal. Take it to Apple and have them check it out.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Had this on my 1st aluminum MB. Had to wipe it EVERY time I opened the lid. The oil collects into a small line, and refracts the pixels underneath. It looks like a scratch. Drove me nuts. Took it back. Replacement does not do this.

9. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I had this on my IceBook but have not seen it on the new MacBook. I also vote to take it back. I think that Apple designed the keyboard with a deeper "dish" so that the keyboard does not leave marks under normal circumstances. There's one possible scenario, though, and that is if you pack your MacBook really tight in a case or something. :confused:

10. Platinum0285 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do place my MacBook in a neoprene Case Logic sleeve. The sleeve is designed for the MacBook and therefore the fit is snug. I'm going to wipe off the screen and leave the laptop unprotected tonight and I'll see if tomorrow morning it still has the imprints without being in the sleeve.

I'm normally not one to complain about small defect on products but having to wipe off 77 key imprints 5 times a day from a laptop that cost me $1600 is very frustrating. Not to mention the fact that in the long run it might affect the screen.

11. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

You should just put a microfiber cloth between the keyboard and screen when it's closed, look at shaggymac.com.

12. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I use a "Radtech screen savrz" with my laptops. Love it!!!

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree. They are the best IMO. They also got some other great products. I have used them for years.

14. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Oo I like the color choices there better, the purple one would look great with my plum incase hardshell :)

15. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

Yeah, that was my issue. I had it in a computer case that was a little too tight with all the other stuff I carried with me. Got a bigger bag, now it doesn't happen anymore. Pretty simple really.

16. jblock macrumors regular

I just use the thin foam insert that came with the Macbook to protect the keys and screen.

17. Philflow macrumors 65816

Same here.

18. ibizaboi24 macrumors newbie

how do i remove it? i have it 2. i tried a damp cloth

19. danvan21 macrumors regular

Had the same problem with my blackbook. They then replaced the entire lower body but it wouldn't go away until last week when they sent me a new aluminum macbook. Call and complain a lot and then ask for a new one.

20. ibizaboi24 macrumors newbie

i'm sure there not going to send me a new on...

21. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

No it's not normal, take it to the Apple Store and get a replacement.. mine does NOT do this, that would annoy the hell out of me.

22. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

With the screen off (or notebook off) and the right light source on the screen I can see nearly all of the keys on my keyboard on my screen. I think (I haven't tested this yet) that it's just the oil from your fingers/hands leaving imprints on the screen. It is rather annoying though.

I did have a Dell Inspiron 5200 with the red mouse 'nub' on the keyboard that eventually marked up the screen on that notebook.

23. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

That should of been fixed in the new aluminum macbook so u should take it back

24. eba macrumors regular

Normal. That's why I always keep the plastic insert that ships with the packaging.

25. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I use the ShaggyMac cloth. The ones they make for the new MacBooks are thinner than those that they sell for the old MacBooks. They are great, and keep the screen clean.