Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hululu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
So i got the 13 touch bar macbook pro, one of the early batch i guess, late november.

My keyboard feels louder on some keys and almost silent on others. I was wondering if that was normal?

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I just received my MacBook this morning and I'm noticing the same thing. The keys on both sides are rather quiet, the keys in the middle of the keyboard are louder. Anyone else?

Reactions: avnspb

hululu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
I just received my MacBook this morning and I'm noticing the same thing. The keys on both sides are rather quiet, the keys in the middle of the keyboard are louder. Anyone else?

exactly what im experiencing.

I dont mind it, just dont want it to be a defect of some kind

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
That probably has to do with the user adapting to the shortened key travel. Over time they shorten up their presses.

hululu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
not really, its just loud in the middle and not on the sides. you can press the keys one by one and you ll tell the difference

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Same problem here with my 13 inch touch bar, very annoying :(

I even got different sounds from the same keys, for example when pressing Q, W or E on the bottom of the key they sound very "clicky", the keys next to them don't. When I normal press then in the middle or top they sound like they should sound (low or hollow sound).

A, S, D and F do the same and even the whole last row from ~ till /

The keyboard itself is nice (still prefering my old 2012 air tho), but I want all keys sound and feel the same, this is not workable and very distracting when typing a lot.

A friend who has the 15 inch does NOT have this problem so that's why I am returning mine and maybe order a 15 inch as well.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Clever observation @hululu ! This seems true on my MBP 15" 2016 as well.

Maybe the intention was.... well I don't know what the thinking was...

OK after playing with it for another minute, it seems to be speed related for me.
If I type slowly its fairly quiet all over. But once I start typing 100wpm the sound differences appear.

This difference doesn't bother me. I just wish my mouse cursor would stop disappearing.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I have the issue on A-S-D-F as well. If I press on the bottom edge they sound louder. All other keys are fine.

Did this ever resolve by itself? On mine it started appearing after about 3 weeks of usage. I don't plan on returning it, just curious.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
This is not the first thread on this issue lol many people experiencing this, louder keys in the middle, almost silent outer keys. It affects both 13" and 15" 2016 models. It is too early to determine if Apple designed it this way or defect Apple may fix on next model, only time will tell.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Small update for you: I've been to the local Apple Store and I've tried all display models.

Result: *all* 15" models had the issue on the A-S-D-F keys (louder when pressing on the bottom edge). I tried 5 of them. Same thing on the 13" TB models.

The only 2016 MBPs not having the issue in that particular store were the 13" nTB.

nm1300

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017
I have this thing too, is it really an issue that I should return my laptop for or is it normal?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Imagine how dull life would be if every key sounded the same.

Let each key speak in its own voice!

Celebrate keyboard diversity! ;)

Reactions: macintoshmac

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I have this thing too, is it really an issue that I should return my laptop for or is it normal?

Not normal if it's a really big difference, as shown in videos in some other threads about this. Some people have been able to get repairs done at Apple Stores, others not.

avnspb

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017

i have just get my new MACBOOK PRO 15 inch 2017 (kaby lake) and there's the same thing! the keys in the middle sounds much louder then the keys on the sides....

avnspb

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
more over! I have replaced my new Macbook Pro 15 2017 for 3 times... and all of them have this issue. keys in the middle sounds much louder then on the sides... also some macbooks has loose touch id button... so nothing changed with this in 2017 models (((( it is very annoying when typing in silence... keys in the middle sounds like mini drums)))

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
i have just get my new MACBOOK PRO 15 inch 2017 (kaby lake) and there's the same thing! the keys in the middle sounds much louder then the keys on the sides....
This won't change until a whole new chassis design is put in place. If it remains thin and goes thinner this may always be there. I still believe they did something under the key caps for 2017 as its not as loud typing than the 2016.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I never really noticed a difference in how my keys feel but if you press the bottom edge of the A and S key on my keyboard they are louder than the rest of the keys. Honestly not that big a deal to me and not something I notice on a daily basis.

avnspb

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
This won't change until a whole new chassis design is put in place. If it remains thin and goes thinner this may always be there. I still believe they did something under the key caps for 2017 as its not as loud typing than the 2016.

2017 sounds exactly the same loud! 2016 had some pitching sound

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.