Keyboard Problem again - advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbanda, Oct 14, 2018.

1. macbanda macrumors member

Hello everyone, I have a 2016 MacBook Pro (15") purchased at the beginning of 2017. I developed the infamous keyboard problem many of you know - keys hard to press or completely non-respondent. After a visit to the Apple store, they replaced my keyboard but now, 2-3 months later I'm having the same problem with different keys on my keyboard. I will certainly be making another appointment to have it assessed. MY question is, any recourse that I can take? Obviously I'm beyond frustrated about having paid so much for this computer which I like, but to have the keyboard go out on me twice in less than a year is absolutely unacceptable.

Look forward to any advice or information on this issue.

2. chabig macrumors 603

3. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

there's really no advice to give in this situation. you just have to take it back to Apple and have it repaired again. My guess is you are hoping someone will tell you you deserve a 2018 replacement unit. Ain't gonna happen until Apple exhausts all other options to get you back up and running. Good luck.

4. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your response. No, actually I read there are two types of keyboards used - the one I have and the newer ones which are supposed to addressed the issue. I would like to believe they may replace it with the newer keyboard. I do like this computer :)

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Can you no longer pop off the keys on these newer machines? Compressed air usually fixes it.

6. DarthVader! macrumors regular

DarthVader!

I believe the keys and too delicate

7. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Back to Apple.

Three replacements and they might swap you to a newer version.

8. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Hasn’t Apple announced a four year coverage program for this issue?

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There are three generations of butterfly keyboards. But they always replace with the same kind.

10. tangfish macrumors regular

tangfish

I had mine replaced 3 times in 9 months before I caved in and just traded up to the 2018 version, eating $2,000 in the process. Thankfully my AAPL stock during the timespan more than makes up for it

11. tangfish macrumors regular

tangfish

On the third replacement of my 2016 model they actually replaced the keyboard with the 2017 version.

12. matram macrumors member

My 2016 model had one keyboard replacement with the 2017 keyboard.

13. 537635, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

537635 macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the club.

They will keep replacing the keyboard until your warranty expires in 2021. Or if you succeed after a couple of replacements in convincing them to replace the whole
    laptop.

After 3 replaced keyboards they replaced laptop on the 4th failure.

14. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

I had my 2017 top case replaced 3 times in 9 months and Apple sent me a brand new 2018 i9 model as a replacement.
    No money wasted in the process. ;)

15. 537635 macrumors 6502a

But quite some time. For some of us that also means money.

Until now I selected Apple also because of reliability. And with these laptops they went from the top to the very bottom.

16. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

It was a quote to the guy saying he paid 2000$ in the process to upgrade to newer model.
    Time means money for me also, but i have a backup 2015 MBP that i could use while this was in for repairs and Apple compensated me well for the time wasted with the repairs.

Happy about the situation and that such a premium computer failed so badly? No.

But i got an upgraded i9 2018 MBP as a replacement + compensation for all the weeks without my computer, hours on the phone and trips to AASP's.

I am happy that Apple customers service is still top notch.

(Forgot to add, Tim Cook called himself and left a voicemail because i was at work and then an Executive Relations advisor got in touch and sorted me out)

17. 537635 macrumors 6502a

I absolutely agree with you.

I sold my precious 2015. Although I never imagined needing the backup so desperately as I did with 2016 model.

I am happy with Apple replacing it for a 2018 model but still apparently it is only a matter of time before this one fails also.

18. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

Honestly, im not too worried.
    Its definitely more reliable than the '16/17 models as with those the keyboards issues were all over the place shortly after release.
    This 2018 keys feel much like an improvement and even if they were to fail, Apple would add it to the extended repair program, so im not too concerned about it.

19. tangfish macrumors regular

tangfish

Yes, I read about some lucky people getting a 2018 as a replacement but didn’t pursue this myself because those accounts seemed to come from Australia where I guess they have some strong consumer laws. Also, I had already spent a lot of time dealing with my three top case replacements and as the other poster said, had lost more than the $2,000 already in lost productivity and opportunity costs (the first replacement my machine was gone a month). Sometimes in business you just have to eat whatever *ish you’re being fed to just plough ahead. I’m not saying it’s right or fair, but it happened and I sure hope this 2018 model doesn’t develop the same problems.

20. 537635 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but now I need a backup. What should I get?!?! Air, overpriced 2015, obsolete 12''?

I do dream about a Bionic A12x iPad Pro, running MacOS and FCPX.

21. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

You can get older ones as a backup and very cheap, like a 2013 retina, same design as the 2015 model.

The 12" is useless, not to mention the 1st Gen Butterfly keyboard that fails the most, so i couldn't call this one a backup.

Air is a good choice if you dont need much power and don't mind the sh!tty LCD panel that it has.

22. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There is no '2017' butterfly keyboard. The 1. generation is from 2015, the 2. generation from 2016, and the 3. generation from 2018. Which ones are you guys talking about?

23. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

The 2015 12" MBP and the 2016 models are 1st Gen, 2017 is 2nd Gen, 2018 is 3rd Gen.

24. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Tim Cook called you because you had MBP issues? Colour me skeptical...

25. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

I posted a more detailed version of my journey with the 2017 MBP.
    I emailed him when i had issues the 3rd time and a week later i had a missed call and a voicemail, saying is Tim Cook and that would like to hear more about my issue with the macbook, next morning an Executive Relation advisor from Ireland (Helen? I think) called on his behalf.
    Whats so weird about it?
    He is known to reply to emails, thats why i reached out to him.