keyboard protector for coke addict

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mansanas, Jul 1, 2010.

1. mansanas macrumors regular

yes im a coke addict, coca cola that is, and im thinking of buying the moshi clearguard keyboard protector, or something similar.
    i would only use it while im drinking to protect my mbp from spills.
    but what about the speakers? im pretty sure fluids can go through the speakers as well, is there anything that covers the keyboard and speakers???

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about you just don't drink anything in the general vicinity of the laptop? Protectors don't do that much against a significant volume of liquid.

3. mansanas thread starter macrumors regular

thats what everyone says and thats what ive been doing, but come on, who doesnt like to drink coffee, soda, etc while browsing, watching videos, chatting? im sure a keyboard protector that also covers the speakers will help a beverage spill. im not gonna submerge it in a bucket of water or anything.

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

scotch tape.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

6. ihonda macrumors 68000

7. mansanas thread starter macrumors regular

its really not a matter of buying a keyboard protector or not, im want one for sure, but im thinking its kind of pointless if the fluid spills through the speakers anyways... man i shouldve gotten the 13...

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

^ that one looks better than mine

I'm not a fan of the sticky silicone
    [​IMG]

but I'm too cheap to buy a moshi

9. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah I have just ordered one off eBay about 5 minutes ago.

Was only £5 so if I don't like it or anything I have only wasted £5 instead of £25 which the Moshi costs.

10. dacapo macrumors 6502

Hurray for eBay! After spending over $70 in 'brand-name' iPhone cases, the one that I am most happy with is one that I picked up on eBay for........ 11 cents! And with free shipping all the way from Hong Kong. :eek:

11. mansanas thread starter macrumors regular

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The best keyboard protector for liquid spills is 10 to 15 feet of air.

13. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

There's really nothing you can since these "protectors" are designed to stay on top of what they're covering the whole time

speaker holes don't serve their purpose if they're covered

simple as that

14. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

This, or if you ABSOLUTELY have to...

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Uh, why don't you just drink it from a straw from a sealed bottle or even better:

Put the coke in one of those bottles that has a system that stops the coke from escaping (no, not baby bottles). They work really well!

16. uga2014 macrumors newbie

had a gift card to use so I went ahead and sprung for the clear moshi....I really like it. Fits perfectly and doesnt seem too tacky/sticky. And as a useless side note, it looks awesome in the dark with the back lit keyboard haha. :cool:

17. mansanas thread starter macrumors regular

for everyone who's been advising to just keep the drink far away or use a long ass straw, let me ask u a question.

whats easier, while using my mbp and drinking a beverage...
    a. set the drink 5 feet away and find and use a long ass straw and look like an idiot.
    b. set the drink 5 feet away and only take a sip when 3-5 feet away from the mbp, meaning its imposible to read and hold/drink my drink simultaneously. still with the possibility to forget and set the drink right next to the laptop cuz its so natural to do that.

or

c. buy a keyboard/speakers cover, so when i want to eat and drink while using my mbp, i just set it and forget it. then take it off after.

note how theres no option d. dont drink at all while using mbp.

my answer is C, but my only problem is i have a 15 inch and i need to find something that covers the speakers aswell.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You didn't take my idea into account: Use a bottle where the liquid can't spill out of the bottle!

19. mansanas thread starter macrumors regular

ok then
    or
    e. pour my beverage into a spill proof container everytime, if one exists, meaning i have to carry the container around with my mbp all the time. but still with the possibility of spilling while taking a sip of the beverage.

this would be my 2nd option after the keyboard/speakers cover.

20. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Just balance the Coke on your massive gut. That way if it spills your t-shirt will soak up most of it and give you time to react before it gets all the way down the hill to the computer itself.

21. Littlefields macrumors newbie

I really don't think there's an end-all solution to preventing any type of spill. The best you can do is get one of those keyboard protectors that were posted and keep your drink far away from your Mac. There's no way you're going to be able to protect your speakers. As far as I know there is no such product and it would make it hard for you to hear anything anyway. If you can't bring yourself to not drink around your computer then just accept that fact and be extra careful.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I thought this thread was going to be about doing coke of a Macbook.

Thank god the back of the iPhone 4 is glass! ;)

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Practical solution:keep the laptop elevated from the drink. If ot spills won't touch the laptop. Simple. :)

24. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Exactly. Even though I don't like to have a drink near my mom's 27" iMac, that is one thing I do love about it. No but seriously, I don't think that their is any practical laptop case for protecting against spills. Liquid spills are mostly unpredictable, and can enter your laptop from almost anyway. If you must have a drink near your MBP (which I do from time to time with mine), I normally use distance as protection for my laptop. Either on the floor, or a few feet away from my mac.