Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
One thing I just discovered that worked for me is manually adding a keyboard shortcut on my Mac. On my phone all of them keep disappearing until I restart my phone, except the one that I added on my Mac. Not exactly ideal but maybe this is a workaround of sorts.

Has this been fixed with 8.1?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Has this been fixed with 8.1?

I don't know if I should say it's been fixed by 8.1. But I can say that after about 12 hours of running 8.1 my shortcuts are all still there. Before they didn't last more than a couple hours after a restart. So far so good I guess.

GeoFan49

macrumors member
One thing I just discovered that worked for me is manually adding a keyboard shortcut on my Mac. On my phone all of them keep disappearing until I restart my phone, except the one that I added on my Mac. Not exactly ideal but maybe this is a workaround of sorts.

I have experienced just the opposite.

Keyboard shortcuts always cease to function after rebooting (iPad Air, iOS 8.0.2) and they come back after a few hours, sometimes, or otherwise, maybe, after toggling OFF/ON the iCloud Drive or the Predictive Keyboard.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Shortcuts work on my devices but synching between them has now stopped.

Synching in iOS7 was done here: “Documents and Data” setting in iCloud.

That feature is missing in iOS8.

I wonder if this is the cause of the problems?

GeoFan49

macrumors member
iOS 8 and the Keyboard Shortcuts problems?

Synching in iOS7 was done here: “Documents and Data” setting in iCloud.

That feature is missing in iOS8.

I wonder if this is the cause of the problems?

“Documents and Data” has been replaced by “iCloud Drive” in iOS 8.

Lately, since the iOS 8.1 update, the keyboard shortcuts remain visible in the list, but they don't work, whenever I reboot my iPad, until I wait an hour or two. Then they begin to work again, until the next reboot, when they seem to disappear again. Maybe toggling OFF/ON the Predictive Keyboard will cut the time down from hours to minutes, sometimes... It's random and intermittent, though, indicating some iCloud server bug or delays... perhaps?

So many workarounds have been offered, which work for some, some of the time, but not for others, most of the time.

The more who report, the sooner it may be fixed? http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Last edited:

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris

Same here

EDIT : I noticed today (11/15)that my shortcuts had synced !
Actually not all of them but it's getting better ;-)
This was driving me nuts , so I just tried deleting 3d party keyboards I tried out , syncing to iCloud and now all shortcuts are the same on MBP , iPhone & iPad . I hope this is going to last !

Last edited:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
In 8.1.1 the keyboard shortcut synching issue seems partly fixed.

New shortcuts sync between iOS devices but only sync FROM Yosemite to iOS and not the other way round.

Editing a shortcut name on one device seems to cause a duplicate name on another device.

Great testing Apple.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2006
Any update on this guys?

None of my iPhone, iPad (both iOS 8.1.2) and iMac and rMBP (10.10.1) sync with each other, never have since the release of iOS 8 and iCloud Drive.

Doing my tits in big time.

If I do a search for 'userdictionary' in Finder, select show System Files; I then delete all the UserDictionary folders and UserDictionary.db files - hoping to 'reset' the database... makes no difference.

Tried disabling predictive text on iOS as some forums suggest trying that, nothing.

Am considering setting up a second Apple account to see if that makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.