Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Anyone else here think Apple has hired someone to sit on this forum as well as Appleinsider/Thinksecret and monitor every information coming, so as to alert for any mishaps on the site and inform lawyers of threatening rumors?

Whoever you are i know you're here

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
Remember how everyone complained that Apple had dropped the ball over Octocore Macs since they took so long to come out and people wondered what the delay could be, and then it turned out that the "delay" was Apple waiting for 3GHZ models to be available. i.e there was no delay, just Apple was waiting for the right time to ship the right product.

Well I think we are going to see a similar thing here... Apple could have brought out iLife anytime now, but they realised that they might as well wait a few months and call it 08, rather than put it out as soon as its ready and have it look out of date after 6 months. They figured they would give it a couple more months of polish and give it a forward looking name rather than put it out as soon as there was an option to.

Mekgek

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Still... iWork should work on windows to really be in the market.

Maybe they will release iWork for the iPhone?????

Maybe they will port iWork to Windows for the same reason they ported Safari?????

Maybe not?????

:eek:

rhomsy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Actually, inside sources suggest that the new iWorks '08 will be included with the Powerbook G5. ;)

Where's the new iWorks already?

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Well this is very good news. It reminds me of the time Apple accidentally mentioned the 8-core Mac Pro before release.

Also, this suggests that Apple will adjust its branding. Instead of Keynote 4, we'll have Keynote '08. That makes much more sense in my opinion, because it will be clear which version of iWork was purchased.

I hope your rationale is correct and iWork is released soon. If it is indeed updated, I hope the spreadsheet program actually comes to life. For personal use, I then can finally dump my MS Office 04. :D

happylittlemac

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Scotland
Well it could be a typo, I don't own iWork but iLife 06 is still more than up-to date and better than most other competitively priced products.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Actually, inside sources suggest that the new iWorks '08 will be included with the Powerbook G5. ;)

Where's the new iWorks already?

I can't wait for the PowerBook G5... it's quite late you know.

I want a new iWork! I love the suite and could do with a new iWeb and some cool iPhoto features. iMove could be a bit more pro now too.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Just keeping up with the Joneses...

Unless Apple is timing software releases like car models (ie begin selling '08 MY in '07), I think this is all wishful thinking...

mainbackBG.jpg

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I hope they make a bing improvement on pages I don't like the layout... make it more itunes or aperture'ish. Now keynote I love personally.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I think they will release iWork with Leopard and just call it iWork 08 or iWork Leopard (however this would sort of force apple into releaseing updates with each new operating system)

0racle

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Everyone makes mistakes, however Apple's QC is usually above average, which makes this more likely than usual for me. That being said, it is kind of a no-brainer in my mind that the next iLife/iWork apps will be branded as '08 releases - it wouldn't make much sense to release '07 versions in October with Leopard with only 3 months being left in the year. :p ;)

So, the only question is will Apple be holding off releasing the new suites until MWSF '08 or will they take a page from the auto industry and release their new "models" with numbers reflecting the upcoming year instead of the year of release? ;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Server 2008 isn't supposed to be released until 2008, so exactly what point are you trying to make?

Maybe the *announcement* is 27 Feb 2008, but you can download it today ( Beta 3 - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/audsel.mspx ) and the hype machine is already under full steam. I'd expect a release candidate of Server 2008 and Vista SP1 about the time that 10.5 ships.

Wouldn't it look rather dated for Apple to be hawking "Software '07" when the big guys are talking "Software 2008"?

Besides, like Shard says "it wouldn't make much sense to release '07 versions in October with Leopard with only 3 months being left in the year".

And finally, did you forget to recharge your sense of humour?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I don't really expect anything to become available until after Leopard ships, as I expect Keynote, in particular, and iWork, in general, to be dependent on CoreAnimation and other 'under-the-hood' improvements in OS X 10.5, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I start teaching again in September, and I'd love to be going 'on-stage' with the next generation of presentation software.

Truth be told, no software can make a bad instructor good, but good software can make a good instructor better.

Cheers

I have never really agreed with this view point. This would severely limit the possible market for iWork. Maybe there will be features that will only be available under Leopard, but to make the programs dependent on Leopard? No. I don't see that happening.

Wouldn't it look rather dated for Apple to be hawking "Software '07" when the big guys are talking "Software 2008"?

Yeah, I agree. Many, if not most, software titles that use the year to indicate version release the newest version with a year number of the upcoming (often not yet arrived) year. One example that jumps immediately to mind is Solidworks. The current version is 2007, which was released last fall, while the new version, 2008, is being hyped right now, and will probably be released in another month or two. So, based on industry trends, it actually fits that the new version of iWork would be iWork '08, and it would be released some time within the next couple of months...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Actually, I wish Apple would drop the 'Year' from it's software titles. I don't think they will be able to continue to provide enhancements or improvement EVERY year - especially if future versions are dependant on new features / capabilities / technologies built into the OS or hardware changes.

On the Windows side there was Office 97, Office 2000 (?), Office 2003 (aka Office XP), and now Office 2008. (Followed on the Mac side by Office 98, Office v.X, Office 2004 and soon Office 2008.).

Not realeasing every year makes certainly sense but one can still name using years.
Matlab has a new release every six months even, called R2007a and R2007b.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
On the Windows side there was Office 97, Office 2000 (?), Office 2003 (aka Office XP), and now Office 2008. (Followed on the Mac side by Office 98, Office v.X, Office 2004 and soon Office 2008.).

Close.

Office 95: August 1995, coinciding with Windows 95 and the start of MS's year craze. Version number 7.0
[edit: 1995, not 2005, stoopid!]

Office 97: December 1996. Version number 8.0

Office 2000: January 1999. Version number 9.0

Office XP: May 2001 (Contained "Word 2002", "Outlook 2002" etc.) Version number 10.0

Office 2003: November 2003. Version number 11.0

Office 2007: January 2007. Version number 12.0

Office ???: Rumoured to be in 2009. Version number expected to be 14.0, due to superstition.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Anyone who believes any of these things are accidental are a lot more naive than I had ever believed. When things are leaked and then the actual product turns up it's obviously no accident.

That made me laugh, for the wrong reasons obviously.

I'm in a harsh mood, so i'll also add that naiive has two 'i's.

I think it would be okay to announce an iWork 08, but if they are going to skip the odd year wouldn't it be better to lose the double digit anyway?

MA.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
And being that I'm in a bastardly mood (as I always am), I'm happy to point out that you are completely wrong and owe Ireland an apology. :p

Well, that's a little too harsh, isn't it?
Webster's Standard English Dictionary acknowledges both 'naive' and 'naïve'.

Ditto for the Oxford University Dictionary.

So that looks like one area where the British and Americans can agree.

If you look at the French origins of the word, only the 'naïve' form is acceptable.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Where's a Microsoft Works converter? Surely, they could license it from MS or DataViz for '08.

It's a very common format on a PC. BTW-it is now up to v9.

Also what about support for ODF or Office 2007 XML based files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.