KGI: All iPhone X Colors Will Have Black Bezels to Ensure 'Better Aesthetic Design'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has a new prediction about how Apple will design the front of the "iPhone X." Kuo believes that no matter the color of the device's casing, the front bezels will be black. This will ensure "better aesthetic design," hiding the front-facing camera sensors on the iPhone X's notch, which would otherwise stand out as little black dots on a white bezel.

[​IMG]

This means that instead of white bezels on a silver or gold iPhone X (as seen above), Kuo argues that black bezels on every version of the new smartphone will better blend into the 5.8-inch OLED display and sensor notch. The iPhone X is expected to come in a limited number of colors, including silver, "blush gold", and black.

The same report highlights the "biggest selling point" of the new OLED iPhone X -- 3D sensing -- including a break down of all the components that will be working together on the front-facing sensor bar. From left to right there's the structured light receiver, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, front camera, and structured light transmitter. Kuo noted that the ambient light sensor is not directly required for 3D sensing, although it can help to improve 3D sensing performance in some capacity.

The report further breaks down these sensors, and offers an analysis of the source of each module. The structured light transmitter module was made by LG Innotek, includes a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser designed by Lumentum, and has half a dozen other individual components: epitaxial wafers, diffractive optical element, wafer level optical, filter, and active alignment equipment.

The report closes with predictions for some of the most popular and "important" applications for 3D sensing: using facial recognition software to replace fingerprint recognition, and a "better selfie user experience." The official reveal of the iPhone X is just three days away, with Apple's event in Cupertino set to kick off at 10:00 a.m. local time on September 12.

Article Link: KGI: All iPhone X Colors Will Have Black Bezels to Ensure 'Better Aesthetic Design'

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

As I and many others have said, and having a white bezel wouldn’t make sense and would look terrible. Its why I’ve been annoyed at the persistent use of the white bezeled iPhone dummy, it’s misleading to people just as calling it the ‘iPhone 8’ was.

3. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Just like it would have been better on the white iPhone 4 - 7. Loved the white 3GS.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Hopefully this means that one day I can get my dream combination: Product Red without the white front.

5. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I've had a white bezel phone since I got my first iPhone when I was 11. But I understand this if this is true. The notch would not look good with a white bezel.

8. berrymetal macrumors member

berrymetal

I know one thing is that I'm freaking going to buy this 1000$ iPhone. For sure.

9. AngerDanger, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017

AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Awesome! It'll also be interesting to see what color the Apple logos and camera bumps are.

There's an image floating around in which all the camera bumps are black and all the logos are white (regardless of the device's main color) which I modified to look more like what I'd like to see:

[​IMG]

Although it occurs to me that if they're going to keep the bezels black on all devices, they'll probably do the same thing with the bumps to better hide the cameras, mic, and flash.

10. Aussi3 macrumors regular

Aussi3

If this is the case gold/Black is for me !!! :) Or full on black!!! :)

11. Jakewilk macrumors member

I don’t know why I even get on Mac Rumors in the weeks right before an event, it always just ruins the surprises or gives me anxiety... haha

12. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Black and gold? My current favourite colour scheme. Hoping this is indeed true, and can absolutely see it being.

13. Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

One rumour I'm glad to see confirmed. I know it truly isn't 'confirmed' until Apple themselves confirm it but I trust Kuo more than any other. I'm going for either the silver or blush gold. Nice to finally have colour options that all have black fronts!

14. V.K. macrumors 6502a

V.K.

one of the most important application of 3d sensing is a "better selfie user experience." SMH.

15. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

I'm not hot on the color but I feel like it will be the least popular at pre-order so it might be the way to go if you want the X before January 2018 :)

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

To be expected like with the Samsung phones

17. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

The Silver iPhone X will be the best throwback to the original iPhone having a black front instead of white:

[​IMG]

18. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

Wouldn't that invite reflections on the inside of the glass covering the cameras though?

19. Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

I keep telling myself that I won't read anymore rumours. I told myself just yesterday: "Right! That's it now, no more reading these rumours until the event", but here I am...

20. DamoTheBrave macrumors regular

There might be more surprises for the 8 than the X

21. Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

Where's this from!? It's the only realistic and most likely to happen render I've seen. Looks great!

22. Brian Clifford macrumors regular

Brian Clifford

Great news! I always wonder why those ugly white bezels are used in devices? Most of the time we can trust in Apple's design. ;)

23. anshuvorty macrumors 6502

anshuvorty

24. Sunny1990, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

"Black Front" as it looks more uniform and will hide that notch better. In black, the notch disappears into the display when switched off.
    3FE5741E-C503-4055-BF2D-7BA90B3025C6.png
    Silver with black front
    04A1C572-2F6B-4B93-BD15-1F0A25D4ED98.png
    Blush Gold with black front.

25. meaning-matters, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Let's hope/assume the status bar background is also kept black.