Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has a new prediction about how Apple will design the front of the "iPhone X." Kuo believes that no matter the color of the device's casing, the front bezels will be black. This will ensure "better aesthetic design," hiding the front-facing camera sensors on the iPhone X's notch, which would otherwise stand out as little black dots on a white bezel.

iphone8dummy2.jpg

This means that instead of white bezels on a silver or gold iPhone X (as seen above), Kuo argues that black bezels on every version of the new smartphone will better blend into the 5.8-inch OLED display and sensor notch. The iPhone X is expected to come in a limited number of colors, including silver, "blush gold", and black.

The same report highlights the "biggest selling point" of the new OLED iPhone X -- 3D sensing -- including a break down of all the components that will be working together on the front-facing sensor bar. From left to right there's the structured light receiver, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, front camera, and structured light transmitter. Kuo noted that the ambient light sensor is not directly required for 3D sensing, although it can help to improve 3D sensing performance in some capacity.

The report further breaks down these sensors, and offers an analysis of the source of each module. The structured light transmitter module was made by LG Innotek, includes a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser designed by Lumentum, and has half a dozen other individual components: epitaxial wafers, diffractive optical element, wafer level optical, filter, and active alignment equipment.

The report closes with predictions for some of the most popular and "important" applications for 3D sensing: using facial recognition software to replace fingerprint recognition, and a "better selfie user experience." The official reveal of the iPhone X is just three days away, with Apple's event in Cupertino set to kick off at 10:00 a.m. local time on September 12.

Article Link: KGI: All iPhone X Colors Will Have Black Bezels to Ensure 'Better Aesthetic Design'

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Awesome! It'll also be interesting to see what color the Apple logos and camera bumps are.

There's an image floating around in which all the camera bumps are black and all the logos are white (regardless of the device's main color) which I modified to look more like what I'd like to see:

iphone-8-leak-recolor-gif.715075

Although it occurs to me that if they're going to keep the bezels black on all devices, they'll probably do the same thing with the bumps to better hide the cameras, mic, and flash.

Last edited:

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Awesome! It'll also be interesting to see what color the Apple logos and camera bumps are.

There's an image floating around in which all the camera bumps are black and all the logos are white, regardless of the device's main color, which I modified to look more like what I'd like to see:

iphone-8-leak-recolor-gif.715075

Although it occurs to me that if they're going to keep the bezels black on all devices, they'll probably do the same thing with the bumps to hide the cameras, mic, and flash better.
Wouldn't that invite reflections on the inside of the glass covering the cameras though?

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I don’t know why I even get on Mac Rumors in the weeks right before an event, it always just ruins the surprises or gives me anxiety... haha

I keep telling myself that I won't read anymore rumours. I told myself just yesterday: "Right! That's it now, no more reading these rumours until the event", but here I am...

Reactions: Sandstorm

Brian Clifford

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Great news! I always wonder why those ugly white bezels are used in devices? Most of the time we can trust in Apple's design. ;)

Reactions: Sandstorm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.