Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple isn't prepared to debut its own first-party wireless charging accessory for the upcoming iPhones, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus are all expected to support inductive wireless charging when they are announced later today, so in the interim between the smartphones' launch and the launch of a first-party Apple wireless charging pad, users will have to purchase third-party accessories.

Apple isn't ready for the launch of its own wireless charging accessory because it has "higher requirements for wireless charger RF specifications," according to Kuo. This means that there is currently no definite timetable for the mass production of Apple's accessory, and it's unclear when such a device will launch. Apple might even be waiting for certain "technological breakthroughs" before ramping up production.

qi-charging.jpg
An example of a Qi wireless charging pad

Apple's own-brand wireless charger is not expected to debut at the media event, which we believe is primarily because Apple has higher requirements for wireless charger RF specifications, so there will be no definite mass production timetable prior to technological breakthroughs. However, the new iPhone models supports the WPC standard, so we think users will be able to purchase and use non-Apple WPC-compliant wireless chargers with the new iPhone models.
In the same report, Kuo said that Foxconn is planning to see a significant ramp-up in production on its 5.5-inch LCD iPhone assembly line, by as much as 70-80 percent. This falls in line with previous reports that said Apple plans to boost production and availability of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, while the OLED iPhone X will be particularly difficult to come by early on.

We're now just a few hours away from the official unveiling of the tenth-generation iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, Apple TV 4K, Apple Watch Series 3, and more, all taking place at the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park. MacRumors will follow all of the stories and news coming out of the event today with a live blog, articles, video recap, and more. Follow our @MacRumorsLive Twitter account ahead of time to see live tweets as Apple breaks news during the event.

Article Link: KGI: Apple's Own Wireless Charging Accessory Will Not Debut at Today's Event

xalea

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
If this is true it will overshadow a lot of the news/discussion about the phone itself. How do you not have a design change for three years, with the resources of Apple, and not be able to ready your own charging station? It would be really nice if this affected some kind of leadership change at Apple as this is just a symptom of a larger problem, but I doubt if that will happen.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
most people won't care, they'll just buy a third party charger if they want it.

edit: wireless charging isn't the must have feature to me anyway. I'll probably get the Apple charger when it's released but for now I'll be fine with lightning cables. I like a lot of the things we've heard about iPhone X but I'm disappointed about TouchID likely being removed. I'm going to watch the keynote though and then make up my mind as to whether I'm an iPhone 8 or iPhone X user.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
If this is true it will overshadow a lot of the news/discussion about the phone itself. How do you not have a design change for three years, with the resources of Apple, and not be able to ready your own charging station? It would be really nice if this affected some kind of leadership change at Apple as this is just a symptom of a larger problem, but I doubt if that will happen.
Makes me wonder if Apples device will be a wireless at a distance charger with Qi cross compatibility. I know it's very unlikely, just might be a reason Apple hasn't finished the puck yet? I'm really just spitballing here.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'm not really sure the upside of inductive charging, but my wife told me this morning that this could be her favorite feature on the phone, so I guess I'm just not the target audience.

I don't give a damn about inductive charging now, but it is a good addition to the iPhone.
Sooner or later charging pads will be everywhere and you'll just leave your cable at home. Eventually they'll get rid of the cable and that would be the only way to charge the iPhone, but you'll be able to do it at home, at office, drinking coffee at starbucks, in your car and so on.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Feels like this launch is quite disorganized.
What's disorganized are the rumors around it. We haven't seen the launch yet.
[doublepost=1505217772][/doublepost]
That's odd - - you'd think a pixellated view from various disconnected third-party sources would be as accurate you can get.
Beat me to it. Special lol.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
Feels like this launch is quite disorganized.
I agree. It feels like they're trapped in the annual improvement cycle, and a year wasn't enough this time. Apple always gets credit for actually releasing when they announce, but this time it seems like they're releasing the best they could get in time, without it being fully complete.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
It continues: Last year the AirPods weren't ready. This year it is the charger. Wasn't the CEO himself a supply chain guy? ;)

Yeah, he is a supply chain guy. That's probably why he missed the fact that the TECH was just not ready. Airpods were delayed because beats couldn't get their act together and apple had to fix their design problems and were delayed. I'm guessing apple just couldn't work out the details to the inductive charging dock before the deadline.

Jolson247

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
It'll be announced today as "Available Later This Year" and finally be available to purchase in December only to trickle out slowly to Apple Stores and then other stores. The AirPod fiasco all over again.

Why go with new technology or even announce a new product if it's not going to be widely available for 9-12 months? Something isn't right. Are these guys just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks and then scrambling to manufacture stuff? That seems like a silly way to do things.

Update: Available next year?!? Holy balls!!

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah, he is a supply chain guy. That's probably why he missed the fact that the TECH was just not ready. Airpods were delayed because beats couldn't get their act together and apple had to fix their design problems and were delayed. I'm guessing apple just couldn't work out the details to the inductive charging dock before the deadline.
Not to mention he's probably too busy CEOing to worry about the supply chain personally ;)

Reactions: wyarp

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Wake me up when they have real wireless charging. I feel apple is doing this just to have it like everyone else but it's nothing great. What ever happened to them making a area within a certain range can charge your phone wirelessly. No pad.
I'd rather use a cable 95% of the time than this.
I would use this for the pot holder I use in the kitchen to hold my phone though :] that's about it though

Reactions: dan110 and LiveM

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I know QI is meant to be a standard, but I'm sure I've seen reference to the iPhone potentially only working with Apple's QI charger (or Apple-certified third party QI chargers). Does anyone know if the QI standard would allow this (in terms of technically and contractually)?

I threw out several QI chargers a couple of years back thinking I'd never have a use for them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.