Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeshanros

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
Bonkers. I remember my Palm Pre in 2009 coming bundled with a little charging puck that worked just fine. Of course it was a thicker device and batteries were much smaller then... still.

I had a Palm Pre and Pre 3. I really enjoyed inductive charging then because when at work I could pick my phone up and just drift it back onto its charging puck. It's not as big a deal now that the bulk of my notifications come from my watch. Still seems insane if they're having issues with inductive charging at this late date.

Reactions: rumz

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
These are classic Apple mind games. They will blow everyone out of the water with true innovation just like they did 10 years ago.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
It is a little odd to have so many Apple products pre announced and not available for months and months. iMac Pro, The Airpods, HomePod, this wireless charger.

I understand it’s a good thing to have supply line issues as you are pushing the threshold of existing tech, there will always be barriers to break etc. But still, 6 months is a little much.

Reactions: dontworry

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
These are classic Apple mind games. They will blow everyone out of the water with true innovation just like they did 10 years ago.

I'm keeping the faith. This story doesn't help BUT Apple execs have been more brash than usual this week. Either they are in denial or they have cards in their hands we don't realize they have.

GOAT4521

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
VA
If Apple hits us with the iPhone X being available "later this year" I will be disappointed. I am also waiting to hear about battery life. If this new iPhone X sucks the life out of a battery during moderate use I will stick with my 7+ or get the 8+.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Why should Apple be ashamed here? It made no promises regarding inductive charging availability. It's just something that has been in the rumor stream. Why should consumers that wait be ashamed? If it's something they want and they are not sacrificing their kid's dinner to buy it, who cares.

Because this was a feature and accessory everyone expected. Now I'm gonna have to tell my baby sister who loves iPhones that she won't have the wireless charger for the time being but maybe I will let her use one of my samsung wireless chargers if it works lol.

Tekzilla

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Shoreham, NY
Whats the point of Inductive charging? Is it faster than Lightning Cable charging? If the device needs to be on something how is that different than needing a wire into it?

Reactions: tooloud10

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I've never liked any of Apple's phone docks anyways. Third parties will have better solutions.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It is a little odd to have so many Apple products pre announced and not available for months and months. iMac Pro, The Airpods, HomePod, this wireless charger.

I understand it’s a good thing to have supply line issues as you are pushing the threshold of existing tech, there will always be barriers to break etc. But still, 6 months is a little much.

It's not that odd. They did it with the first Apple TV, they did it with the first iPhone, they did it with the first AW. Apple does pre-announce products that are a new category for them since it doesn't undercut current product sales but does undercut competitors sales.

Also Apple has not announced any new inductive charging products or any wireless chargers at all (Inductive charging and wireless charging are two separate technologies.

jeshanros

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
Something just doesn’t add up. I mean short of Apple holding out for actual short range wireless charging (as in, no contact whatsoever) as was rumoured some time ago. Are we really suggesting that one of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world couldn’t knock out an inductive charger?

Something they already have on one of their products, something an engineering intern could have knocked up for them in the space of a few weeks. Something they had to have had internally to test the feature if it exists.

So yeah, even if the technological breakthrough part is Apple’s primary goal, such as the aforementioned truly wireless charging. Why on earth wouldn’t the, we want all of your money company, put out an own-brand inductive charger in the interim? It just doesn’t make sense to me. But then I am easily confused at the moment..... Back to Pink Floyd I go :D
My money is on a later launch of a short range wireless charging device or they'll have their own traditional inductive charging hardware ready to go today.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Because this was a feature and accessory everyone expected. Now I'm gonna have to tell my baby sister who loves iPhones that she won't have the wireless charger for the time being but maybe I will let her use one of my samsung wireless chargers if it works lol.

Right but that is on the people that assumed those rumors were 100% solid. That is on them, not Apple. Apple made no guarantees here. They didn't even say it would be a feature. It was something we believed would happen. Not everything happens as hoped. But Apple didn't lie or mislead here. I don't see why it would be shameful.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
A big benefit of Apple has always been its strict control and management of the Apple universe to maintain quality and usability. This seems way out of character with one of its core philosophies.

Cpk

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2017
Some of the Toyotas have built in QI charging pads. It would be cool if you can just...charge your phone with no adapters.

Reactions: big-ted

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I've never liked any of Apple's phone docks anyways. Third parties will have better solutions.

Oh come on. Really? Why? Is it because apple never thinks we will use a case and a dock at the same time? Or is it because they can't be tilt adjusted? Or is it because they cost to much and are hard to find offline?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Why should Apple be ashamed here? It made no promises regarding inductive charging availability. It's just something that has been in the rumor stream. Why should consumers that wait be ashamed? If it's something they want and they are not sacrificing their kid's dinner to buy it, who cares.
You've got to love/laugh at the armchair CEOs/supply chain gurus...

It's the same every year and they never fail to entertain me!

Reactions: tooloud10

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
It'll be announced today as "Available Later This Year" and finally be available to purchase in December only to trickle out slowly to Apple Stores and then other stores. The AirPod fiasco all over again.

Why go with new technology or even announce a new product if it's not going to be widely available for 9-12 months? Something isn't right. Are these guys just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks and then scrambling to manufacture stuff? That seems like a silly way to do things.

Relax, it's not that important. I'd rather Apple release the wireless charging dock when it's ready rather than release something that will burn my house down. Apple are not Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.