Kickstarter Project Aims To Make MacBook Air Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 28, 2011.

1. yongren macrumors regular

I'd pay $40 for this piece of plastic... not $200

2. superman23 macrumors regular

so would most people

but you guys just have no idea of the costs to manufacture a product in small quantities

3. tekcor macrumors member

HengeDocks should make an air-compatible model and blow this one out of the water.

4. 341328 Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They need thunderbolt support. And support for 2560x1600 instead of only 2560x1440.

5. ZipZap macrumors 603

Dah!

----------

Perhaps because its not meant for 2011 MBAs.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

I recommend everybody to check the comments on the Kickstarter page of this product. It has very clear details about why there isn't Thunderbolt yet. It is not because the licensing is $1000, that is a misinterpretation by someone in this thread. The $1000 price was about the average price of a Thunderbolt product. I think they only looked at what the Promise RAID box costs.

This dock seems a bit better engineered, it looks more sturdy and it looks like it has a higher quality to it. That is a big must if you look at the very high price tag of $200. They could be a bit more expensive than the Hengedock because it does more than simply patching the ports on the notebook, it has an internal usb nic, usb hub, etc. which are more costly. For the $200 price tag I'd rather have it in aluminium (think Just Mobile Cooling Bar). This makes the product look cooler but it mostly makes it much more durable. If you dock and undock quite a lot this becomes a must.

Whatever they do I hope they get the Thunderbolt license and make a Thunderbolt dock. I also hope they make docks for the other notebooks from Apple. I think there are quite a lot of MBP owners who'd want something like this too.

7. subsonix macrumors 68040

Perhaps, but then that is even more odd IMO, especially since not all older MBAs have two usb ports.

----------

There is no licensing for Thunderbolt AFAIK.

8. dyn macrumors 68030

There IS definitely Thunderbolt licensing as it has been copyrighted, registered, etc.

9. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I'm not sure if this is the perfect one for me, but I sure would love to have a dock of some sort.

10. subsonix macrumors 68040

Of course it's intels property, but that does not mean that there is a license fee on top of the actual asking price of the controller. This is what Anandtech wrote about it a while ago.

Not that it's the absolute authority on the matter but.

11. Heavertron macrumors regular

This is just awful! Put $200 towards a TB display. Cheap looking, additional psu, limited to 10/100mb Ethernet, terrible.

12. superman23 macrumors regular

set them up with several million $ so they can hire engineers, management, and pay for an advertising campaign. oh yeah, and get those licenses handled. then all they'll need is a Chinese sweatshop and you'll have it on the shelves at Best Buy.

13. reden macrumors 6502a

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Talk about plastic pieces of junk...

As mentioned, Thunderbolt is not easily licensable right now. The resolution limitation is due to the Minidisplay port, not the dock. Unless you expect them to build in a active dual-link dvi adapter...

15. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

What's your point? If they can't make it right because they don't have the money/engineers, are we supposed to buy it just to make them feel better about selling an expensive USB hub?

16. sportsfan macrumors regular

It needs to dock on both sides so the secure lock will work. Just docking on one side will not secure the laptop.

17. Kid A macrumors regular

f'ugly. :eek:
    go back to the drawing board...

harsh, perhaps. but it's the damn truth.

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't have any use for it but I know a lot of others will love it, it's a great idea!

19. dyn macrumors 68030

There is a huge difference between licensing and a licensing fee! You are mixing those up which you really shouldn't. I was only responding to the part for having a license to use it and for that you have to because it is registered, copyrighted, etc. You also need a license to use the SDK (which is crucial if you want to create thunderbolt products) and/or to log into the official thunderbolt website. So yes, you do need a license in every aspect. You nor I said anything about fees, that's what you are talking about now. If you want to know more about that I suggest contacting Intel via the link to the official website.

It needs to dock on both sides because on the left is power + usb + audio (and sd card on the 13"), on the right there is usb + thunderbolt or mini DisplayPort. Docking on both sides also makes it more sturdy and in this case it also looks good imo.

20. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I have supported a number of kickstart projects, and I would like to like this one, but I just can't. It is over priced and feature poor and really just doesn't look that great. Sorry.

21. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Very nice design but 4 USB ports and ethernet sharing the same bandwidth? Products like this need thunderbolt. There's really only 3 ports to be connected on the MBA, if you're not going to expand the current functionality, I'm not sure what the point is.

22. subsonix macrumors 68040

Yes, but a fee could act as a barrier of entry which is why it's not unrelated to this discussion at all. It's not uncomon that you have to register for developer accounts or to get information about a technology, basically signing the terms of usage.

23. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

Isn't Belkin making a docking station using thunderbolt?

24. superman23 macrumors regular

well it's not for you then. wait for something on slickdeals for $9.99. for someone who likes this project and is willing to spend more to help invest in a company who may do greater things in the future, $200 might be what they make in a few minutes.