Kickstarter project for plugging in USB devices without adapter cable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PDFierro, Mar 27, 2015.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

3. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

I don't need it.....but just by curiosity, does this company got their hands on the new MacBook?? Because they seem to have one one they're picture..??

4. newellj macrumors 601

Thanks for the link. It's elegant, though the adapter alone is the same price as the Apple USB C to USB A dongle. The adapter is a whole lot more attractive, though!

I think this is early evidence that USB C is likely to see wide adoption, unlike some earlier Apple interface ventures. :eek:

5. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't see it getting funded, though. But it's a neat idea.

6. newellj macrumors 601

No, they're way short. Maybe I'm unduly optimistic, but I still see that as a positive sign.

7. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

8. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

it's the start of something good, adapters for apple products that don't require licensing proprietary connections.

am sure we'll see more good stuff, especially as usb-c starts showing up on more products.

9. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Waste of money I need a port and charger at the same time for my money.

10. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

$49 is way too steep for this thing. And it doesn't let you connect DisplayPort monitor and a wall charger.

At this point - Apple $79 digital A/V adapter is a better buy. Still good to see USB-C accessories starting to pop up.

11. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Wish them luck, equally they are only shipping to two countries, so the audience is limited as is function.

Q-6

13. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Looks Photoshopped to me.

Regular retail price they claim will be $98? Wow...

14. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

It's dumb. It doesn't solve any problem with just one port. Also, there is no reason a project like this should be on KickStarter. It is a very simple item that requires virtually zero development. You could basically call up a Chinese manufacturer with a spcification and order them yourself. Order a small amount first if you don't have the capital, and they will almost guarantee to sell out, but larger volume with the proceeds. Make a tidy profit.

Develop an elegant and efficient dock/hub with 2 USB-A and 2 USB-C out the front, and 1 Ethernet, 1 mDP, and 1 USB-C for charging out the back - now that would be a solution that satisfies a need. Get it down to about the size of a Snicker bar, offer it in the Macbook's colors, and match Apple's $79 price, and you've got yourself a real winner.

Maybe have a couple of versions, for HDMI instead of mDP or something.

15. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I'd buy your device for sure!

16. oGu macrumors member

I really don't get it why it's not out yet. Also how long till we get a display that does all of this. I would buy any of these items in a heartbeat.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure you can use the 29W power adapter to charge up the MB. It doesn't seem strong enough - Tbh, I'm just guessing, since the MB isn't even out yet.

Interesting kickstarted but once apple releases a lightening/usb-c cable,wouldn't that more or less mitigate the advantages. I'm sure flash driver makers will be rolling out usb-c drives as well (albeit expensively at first).

18. MyopicPaideia, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

I would hope 29W is enough...that's what's included in the box with the Macbook... ;)

19. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

And one already exists now.

20. Dubba macrumors regular

21. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

It looks rather cumbersome to me. I'd like a docking station instead that combined an Ethernet and DisplayPort connection with a bunch of USB connectors.

22. technosix macrumors 6502a

Ah yes, the thrill/cost/benefits of a closed ecosystem... :eek:

23. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

That's a good point. I'm sure for a lot of folks an external monitor with this array of ports would be a great solution. For me, I'd want the dongle hub I described, because I would want it both at my home office and out at my clients' offices (which covers three continents :))

24. newellj macrumors 601

Henge Docks. Go to the blog, scroll down to the Macbook post and enter your comments - they're listening.

25. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

I've sent them my product idea higher up in the thread. Hope they do something with it :p