Kickstarter Project - Hub+ for Retina Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lostboyz, May 6, 2015.

1. lostboyz macrumors member

lostboyz

2. Mixpower macrumors member

Mixpower

3. JTToft, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

JTToft macrumors 68040

Looks nice, but the lack of specifications for especially the mDP port (which I assume it is, even though it's actually not stated anywhere - also a bit strange) is disconcerting. And the USB-A ports are only 2.0 - what's up with that?

And I'm pretty sure they're showing an Apple Thunderbolt Display in their video attached with a TB cable to the hub, which definitely will not work (or with the rMB in any way for that matter).

The people behind seem a tad goofy to me, too:

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This actually seems like a kickstarted that will take off b.c it is not hard to produce. My problem is the lack of HDMI.

5. Mark Kappert macrumors regular

Mark Kappert

My question is totally off-topic but when I back a project do I need to pay it directly or later on?

6. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

can we connect our good old original VGA-mDP adapter here ?? :rolleyes:

7. Mixpower macrumors member

Mixpower

Your creditcard will be credited once it's pledged as far as I know.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Provided the port on the hub is a proper mDP, yes, but they don't mention if it is. They just show a very ambiguous "Display" label.

9. jido macrumors regular

It says "mini Display Port"
    http://www.nonda.co/

Also the FAQ mentions a MST display hub for multi-display.

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Ah, I missed that.
    Still, some specifications with a DP version and maximum supported resolutions and refresh rates would be nice.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

This seems useless.
    Only USB 2.0
    USB-C only for charging as you need 3 ports to do any this else while charging.
    No explanation of bonus adapter
    Missing hdmi
    Network?
    Why do i need a battery?

$80?

12. lostboyz thread starter macrumors member

lostboyz

They did explain the the bonus adapter is a USB c to USB a

13. royaldaylight macrumors newbie

royaldaylight

14. JTToft macrumors 68040

I'd say so, yes. You can cancel your backing before the KickStarter project ends on May 16.

15. Dayv macrumors 6502

It's *almost* good. If it had USB 3.0 (or higher) and HDMI, I might have considered it. Ethernet would be nice too, but not as much of a deal breaker for me.

They should include both DP and HDMI. If they can't run both at once, make one port dominant so that the other is disabled if both are connected, no need for a physical switch.

Also, people need to start including some additional USB-C ports on these hub designs instead of two ports just to pass power through. USB-C is the future.

16. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

They've posted in the comments of their Kickstarter page that the reason why USB 3 isn't supported is "because there is no stable chip set to support USB-C to USB-A 3.0".

At least they are upfront and honest about it. It makes me question the reliability of the Chinese knockoffs on ebay. It may work one day, then stop working the next.

I'm guessing that's the same reason why there's no USB-C to multiple USB-C hubs out yet; could be the same issue of reliability. Given that USB-C is still relatively new and bleeding edge, all we can really do is wait until the product matures for more products to come out.

17. JTToft macrumors 68040

And there's an update on the mDP, too: It's version 1.2, so full support of whatever resolutions and refresh rates the rMB can do. Nice.

18. leman macrumors 604

This hub looks so much better than all the other stuff I have seen so far. It certainly sounds like a winner on paper. Of course, no USB-3 is a bummer, but their explanation is reasonable I guess. It shouldn't take too long however until suitable chips will come out.

As to my personal notes: I'd prefer it to have an ethernet port (we have some offices in the department where WiFi connection is only subpar) and I don't really understand why an internal battery is necessary.

19. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Not really, within the first 24 hours they sold 9 out of 10 24 karat gold hubs that cost $3999 that pushed them well over the funding threshold. :/

20. leman macrumors 604

For which they have a quite reasonable explanation. I don't think this is a scam, in contrast to many other USB-C products I have seen. At any rate, so far this is the only products that really looks solid, usable, well designed and though out. Scammers usually don't go into such a length.

21. No-Me macrumors 6502a

The explanation is a bit weird especially because of the absurd amount. 9 out of 10 gold hubs makes $35991 while the goal was $35000, that's pretty convenient so I still have my doubts. :)

22. headcase, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

+1. I'm hoping someone will release a mini-hub that includes USB-A 3.0 and Ethernet.

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

I did not see it. or it was not there when I posted.

----------

WHats Apple using?

Without USB 3 this dock is useless.

24. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

25. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

if it had USB3 and ethernet, i'd be all over it.