Kid jumps to death with a plastic parachute

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by haiggy, Apr 15, 2009.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Sad :(

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=w1560717031

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Oh my. Terrible.

Many of us farm kids experimented with homemade parachutes, wings, and other flying devices. But that was off a roof or barn. Not 13 stories up.

3. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I used to make parachutes using plastic grocery bags for my Army Ants, Ninja Turtles, siblings, etc. :eek:

5. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha me too, I'd drop them from the top of the stairs :)

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would take them and jump off my bed. I miss those days were we were all light enough that there would be a decent effect. :D

*cue the activists group blaming video games for this tragic death instead of the parents neglect for buying him that game( or failing to tell him that the things in the game are not reality, etc).....

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They can cue that all they want.

I would not call this poor parenting but a unfortunate accident. The parents might of just taken their eyes off the kid for a minute and that was long enough for him to try.

I know when I was that age I would jump off the top of my parents SUV with an unbrila or a plasitic homemade parachute made with a trash back thinking it would slow me down. I remember wanting to do that from the top of the roof. That idea did not fly to well with my parents and they said no. They where fine with the SUV but the roof was a no go.

As for where I got the idea. TMNT and GI JOE no video games. That was near 20 years ago. No matter how you cut it kids line of thinking has not changed. They lack the experince and the ablilty to see problems with their plans and they suffer from an unhealthy lack of fear.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Isn't that the truth.

Kids move quickly. :eek:

9. magamo macrumors 6502

This article says he was 11. Either way, it's a sad story.

My brother and I also used to do this when we were little kids.

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I like how they say he might have been trying to immitate a video game... Then go and say he played WWF Wrestling games......... Yeah that makes sense :rolleyes:

I don't understand why games are the first thing people blame when kids do stupid things?:confused:

11. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

When I was very young my dad stopped me doing this with a bedsheet out of my bedroom window. I'd circumvented the child safety locks so afterwards he screwed the windows into the frames with security screws (i.e. different heads) and they're still bolted shut to this day.

He also stopped me from, literally, throwing myself down the stairs. I'd had a dream that it felt like flying and you landed ok so I gave it a go, only to find I got pulled back from behind and a good telling off.

AppleMatt

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We used to do stuff like this during strong winds on the hill, never jumping off cliffs though. Poor kid.

13. Keebler macrumors 68030

this is tragic. i don't even want to think about his frame of mind (excited, caught up in the moment etc..), which made him try this.

ugh.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agree 100%.

It's just as bad to blame the parents as it is to blame video games. This kid didn't have enough experience in life, or knowledge of physical concepts that seem like common sense at our age, but what you said about the parents only gives the impression that you don't have enough life experience, or an understanding of reality to actually understand that "s*** happens".

Blame the young kid's imagination. Those existed well before video games.

I tried the "parachute" thing when I was 10. While I remember that I knew one garbage bag wouldn't allow me to float (I was such a smart kid :p), I figured the solution was to use more garbage bags, so that's what I did. I only did it from half-way up the staircase in our house. Nobody got hurt.

15. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah for real. longboarding down Flagler Drive (long newly paved road along the intercoastal in West Palm Beach) during hurricanes was da bomb

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wow, you guys have such a life! ;)

I never did anything close to dangerous when I was a kid.
    I think the most I did was ride my bike (In India) near the part where the road meets the grass. The road was like 5" higher than the actual ground, so when I moved onto the grass, I fell off my bike, got a scar on my knee.

I guess I was a smart kid.

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm just amazing that a 9 year old kid had the balls to do that.

18. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Sounds like he was pretty crazy. Tragic though.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

india? wow!

i still do a lot of crazy things. but it sure is fun when you don't heal as fast.

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yup, lived in India for 7 years, came to U.S on New Years of '01/'02

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That is tragic. Fear of something like this is what prompted me to have a chat with my son about video games vs reality. I don't know what I'd do if he ever tried something like this.:(

22. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Yeah, I done this off the top of our garden shed when I was very young. I broke my arm :).

23. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I would add to this, unfortunately so many parents try to prevent anything at all happening to their kids that they don't get the reinforcement of the pain that follows the act of trying to jump on your bmx bike, or doing things at the skate park on the skate board, etc etc. You do something silly, scratch your knee up etc and the next time around you might realize that umm maybe this isn't a good idea.

24. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Seems like we need to give out more and more Darwin awards lately.

25. Moocher macrumors regular

I'm not sure they are giving out more Darwin Awards, but we certainly hear about more instances that qualify than we did before the Internet. I agree this kid should be considered for an award this year, but it's a pity to give one to someone so young.

Favorite marker stone saying for Darwin Award winners should be: "His last words were, 'Watch this!'"