"Killer set up", which would you choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Apr 27, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Would really appreciate your input. I change my mind often but it's time for a final decision.

Considering the following points what would your choice be?

- Price is not a concern.

- It will get a LOT of use on my lap, couch, lazy boy, patio, coffee shop, used 8 to 12 hours a day, I bring my notebook 'everywhere' - work, home, cottage.

- reading and replying to 100+ emails a day, light concept/mechanical drawing, Sketchup, no Auto Cad, light video / photo editing, (photoshop), lots of net surfing, reading blogs, forums, no gaming, light entertainment, movies etc.

I'm considering:

17" MBP with 24" ACD and MacBook Air

15" MBP with ACD and MacBook Air

13" MBP with ACD and MacBook Air

17" MBP with ACD

15" MBP with ACD

13" MBP with ACD

I haven't quite decided whether or include the MacBook Air and work from two computers or if I'm best to settle on one machine rather than shuffling around two notebooks.

* I have the ACD already, in reality it doesn't get used much, I rarely work from a desk.

I have a desktop and only use it for storage, back up and server and don't enjoy working from a desktop as much as I do a notebook.

What would you buy?

2. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

This year I will be buying a 17inch Macbook Pro, ACD and a new macbook air whenever they are updated. The iPad is for novelty use.

The macbook pro gives me enough power to work around the house and gives me decent screen real estate when im on the move. I don't like being tied to a desk.

The macbook air is for travel/lounging around.

But really, if price wasn't a concern, i'd have a Mac Pro + ACD, 17inch macbook pro and a Macbook air. Just to give me a backup computer if my laptop dies.

I would say 17inch Macbook Pro, ACD + MacBook Air.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You don't need a MBP and a MBA. a 15" or 17" with an ACD should be good for your needs.

4. shadygrove macrumors regular

I vote for the 15'' i7 with SSD and 8gig of RAM. I see absolutely no reason to have two laptops. In fact I would see it as counter productive. I would only get a MBA if I didn't plan on getting a MBP and I already have a desktop. Either way I would spend the amount on upgrades rather than two machines...much more bang for you buck IMO.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

+1... I completely agree with this

6. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

My idea with the Air alongside the MBP is it would make for a nice computer to use when lounging around as mentioned by mintin8.

15" MBP owners - do you use your notebook as I do ... for work, also on lap, lounging around, taking it everywhere?

7. Kelt macrumors newbie

I think 13' MBP is quite enough for your everyday use.
    15 ' is much heavier and bigger, Also you will not use his cpu on 100% load.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

If you're planning on using the MBA like that, chances are it wont be used much. Maybe some other alternatives to consider: used MacBook or maybe even an iPad?

I also vote for the 15" with ACD. That's always the best setup IMO. You can get all the power from the 15" that you can't get from the 13", and you don't have to pay the extra for the 17" screen because you have the ACD for that.

9. vacuumtube macrumors newbie

I second this. I recently was faced with similar decision. Went with loaded late '09 uMBP 15" and haven't looked back. It goes everywhere I do: work, home, vacation. From my experience (and friends' experience) the 15" is the sweet spot. Big enough to do everything well but not too big to carry around.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is the MBA really that much smaller than the MBP now, seems like a lot of redundancy to have both. The air has and will always be a crippled computer and I don't even think Apple will be doing much with it anymore now that they have the iPad.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not a direct answer to your question but my mobile computing collection:

15" MBP -- stays at home. Too big to travel with. Unusable in coach. Usually rotates between bedroom and living room.

13" MBP 2.26 Ghz w/ 128GB Corsair P128 SSD -- de facto travel machine. Not light but not heavy. Very comfortable in coach; full array of ports and functionality unlike an Air + faster. Total cost including the SSD was less than low end Air. Not as sexy as the Air and a 1.5lb heavier but I would not be happy with a $1500 under-performing computer and I'm not that weak that an extra 1.5lbs is going to bother me. Never regretted choosing the 13 over the Air for one sec.

Also have an iPad now, which I travel with on short trips where I know I don't need a full computer.

12. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I think that's an excellent set up, I agree with your comments on the 13" MBP ... I actually have a 13" MBP that I was going to sell or pass on to my staff ...

I've decided the 15" MBP is the best to use as my main/work computer as well as around the house, I like the two extra inches of screen real estate, I learned that fast after working only on the 13" screen for a few long days, I was quite happy to get back to the 15".

So many people say it's crazy to have a 15 and 13" MBP ... well if it works and you can afford it the heck :)

For my 'portable machine' I've been deciding between the MacBook Air, the 13" MacBook Pro and the Sony ... now to decide between the three... and my computing decisions will be made for a while.

13. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I nearly bought a MBA, thank god I didn't.

I own a PC which cost me nearly 2 grand a year and a few months ago. I have a 360 and PS3, so I don't need anything else for games.

So when I decided to try using a mac I was captivated by the slender proportions of the Air. Luckily I thought about it for a while, and then asked some questions online.

I then decided to buy a MBP, golly I am pleased I did. I have only used my PC 2 or 3 times since I got the Mac, to set up a network and copy files about.

I thought originally I would only use my Mac when I left the house, so the Air's feature list, or lack thereof wouldn't matter.
    But now I own my MBP I use it all the time, in my study, lounge, bedroom, even occasionally on the toilet.

I would now be gutted if I had gone for the Air.

doris

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm setting up in a study pillow thing on bed happily surfing the web/MR using my 17" with no issues. I'm only running safari and adium and its not hot at all.

15. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

One note...

Regarding the SSD -- and since C$ is no object, I assume you will go this way -- remember to get an aftermarket Intel drive and install yourself.

The Samsung SSD that you can get as a BTO option is, it seems, not really an option -- at least not according to AnandTech....

16. danwellsvt macrumors newbie

What I'm doing is 17" plus display for certain uses plus iPad. An Air is too close in size to an MBP (if you want to go lighter for lounging, you want to be MUCH lighter - iPad)...

17. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You can see in my signature what I ended up settling on - the no compromise solution :D

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So you bought a Mac Pro, a 15" MacBook Pro, a 13" MacBook Pro, and an iPad?! :eek:

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Too much money on Apple's product IMHO :D
    I would rather do something else with it haha.

20. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

LOL, no no not all at once. I own my Company and buy Mac's for all my staff so I can pick and choose....

Had the desktop for some time now, the 13" MBP is from June '09 ... right now I'm trying out a '09 15" MBP, 2.8ghz and I really like it, (screen size).

Since I spend a lot of time on a laptop at home it's nice to gain the 2" over the 13" MBP ... nice enough to warrant me ordering a April/10 i7 MBP I'm not sure yet, I think I'd prefer an '09 2.8ghz with Anti Glare and 'regular' sized fonts :). I'd keep the 15" I'm using now but I've got staff needing it soon.

I had an iPad sent up from the States, it stays on the coffee table most of the time.

21. binary10 macrumors member

I own my own Company as well.. BUT.. if you're buying .. we'd make a hell of a team and spend spend spend - Denny Crane :p

22. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

What a waste.
    I am with one of the previous posters. Pop a large SSD and extra ram and have an uber laptop.

Screw this "multiple" laptop crap.
    Counterproductive and simply a waste of money. Get an uber laptop and an iPad if you need just a little browser for the couch.

Jeeze.
    ahah!

23. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Wow forming such a strong opinion with such little information makes me question the sense behind your post.

I have a Mac Pro in my office.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro at home where it get's used all over, home office, den, patio, kitchen table etc. I work a LOT from my home office, doing input tasks, technical design, email, pages many many hours are spent on my computer 7 days a week, the 15" MBP get's used the most. The iPad won't handle the work load, the 13" MBP is a little small for using long hours and the type of work I do, I could get an ACD yes, but that only works when you're at a desk, not patio, couch or kitchen table ....

I have a 13" MBP that replaces my MacBook Air for mobile use and travel. It handles better, travels on a plane better and has adequate power to do all my tasks on the road where the Air no longer does. For travels to the cottage I bring it along with my 15", as a back up notebook in case I have a hardware failure ... A computer and being online is crucial for me to run my business.

And, 'oh my' I just bought an iPad for entertainment and lounging around.

So, shoot me I have 3 computers :rolleyes: I'm a CEO they all play and integral part in my running of a reasonably successful company ... and I'm justifying myself to who :confused:

I understand the concept of using one computer for everything, it's a great idea and I've tried it in the past.

For me it was too many compromises and since money wasn't a concern why not buy the best tools I can to run my business. Doing this and with DropBox and logmein, (EXCELLENT software) I finally have a system that works for me.

24. binary10 macrumors member

maybe you forgot logistics of moving around a large property with a laptop strapped to you. I too have multiple computers dotted around the bounds of the house along with the multiple wireless coverage that goes along with it: Lounge, Loft, Dinning Room. Conservatory and My phone as the last resort browser.

But since the subject was Killer setup ... then I think it has to include all areas, including ones that you can just pull out from a hiding place using a suspension mechanism. Then you can include the specifications that those devices have to withstand : So your SSD argument is valid in those devices.