Kills iPhone battery life

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BrandonPrice31, Apr 26, 2015.

1. BrandonPrice31 macrumors member

Huge flaw with the watch.. You have to keep Bluetooth connected in your phone all day.

My iPhone 6 Plus battery is at 40 percent by 2:00 in the afternoon and I usually get close to 10 hours screen on time.

What do you guys think? Is the Apple watch even practical?

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Right, people say it saves iPhone battery because you're using the Apple watch instead it, but the iPhone Bluetooth is always on and constantly sending info to the watch draining it's battery

I can't even imagine how bad the iPhone 6 battery is with an Apple watch, good thing I have the 6 plus so it won't be dead by 5pm

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I have a mophie case with my 6+, hopefully when my watch arrives it will be good

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth is very low energy. Something else is going on.

5. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I always had Bluetooth on anyway, so for me I am getting better battery, less iPhone usage for sure.

6. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Agreed, my battery life went way up on the iP6 when I started using my Pebble, rarely have any screen on time now...

7. jjlannoo Suspended

I'm not noticing a difference but I keep Bluetooth on all the time anyways

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I've noticed a slightly accelerated battery drain on my iPhone 6, but since I keep my phone near a charger at my desk I don't really have a great sense for before vs. after. Some of this might be fixed in software (for instance, if it isn't making good use of the Bluetooth LE profile, or is "pinging" too often).

9. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

Not really noticed anything. Battery is now at 46% and I've been connected all day, even watched a few things on my phone etc. (iPhone 6).

I've always got my bluetooth on anyway so maybe it's not much different for me.

10. iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

If you're a person that always had bluetooth turned off and now you have to turn it on for the watch of course you're gonna se a decrease in battery life. Can't blame the watch because you can't use your battery saving technique any more

11. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I have a Bluetooth headset connected all day on my 6+ and no battery issues. Has to be a wayward app or apps that need optimizing.

12. David R macrumors 6502

My iPhone battery drained really quickly the first day to the point that I had to use my "emergency external battery pack" by mid-afternoon or my phone would have died. However, levels remained normal all day yesterday (and today so far.)

13. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

And another reasonable possibility

14. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

Bluetooth 4.0 is Low Energy (BLE) both Apple watch and iPhone use it.

15. lakekj macrumors newbie

Not getting it...

I'm just wondering what the OP is doing for 10 hours of screen on time. My phone has BT on all the time and I get at least a full day of use (usually 2days before I need to charge the phone.

16. Branskins macrumors 65816

This should greatly improve when native apps are available later this year.

It might actually help the watch battery too? Very much looking forward to WatchOS 2.0

17. BrandonPrice31 thread starter macrumors member

Wow some of you guys really surprise me with lack of knowledge.. There is a difference between having Bluetooth on (low battery) and Bluetooth on and connected to a device (high battery usage).

18. Slim Boy Fat macrumors member

I have my Garmin Vivosmart connected via Bluetooth constantly and don't run into these problems.

19. Branskins macrumors 65816

Don't forget, with the way WatchOS 1.0 works, the parent app on your iPhone is doing all the calculation and sending it back to the watch app.

The Apple apps are probably native apps, but any third party apps you use could drain your iPhone battery depending on what the parent app is requested to do.

The parent apps will run in the background and you will not notice. I bet those seeing high battery drains are using 3rd party apps a lot

20. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

If it was a hardware issue I'd be worried but software can always be optimized with future updates.

21. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

When I first got my Pebble Steel months ago I noticed that watch faces that had any sort of weather reporting drained my iPhone's battery much quicker. I assumed it was because the watch was always pinging the phone for weather updates. Once I broke the connection to weather reports the drain on iPhone became more reasonable and really wasn't an issue any more.

I wonder if the same is happening here with the Apple Watch. I've noticed my iPhone battery is draining a bit more than usual again. Perhaps turning off weather would have a similar effect? Just a thought ...

22. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Mophie case on a 6+, that would be gigantic, how much battery do you use? I can only kill the battery with crazy amount use

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I had my Pebble watch connected to my 6+ along with bluetooth headphones that were on all day long and there was no significant battery impact. Same applies with the Apple watch.

There is no "flaw".

24. philipk macrumors 6502

Heavy battery use the first day due to the following.

1. Initial setup of watch

2. Transfer apps.

3. Sync apps.

4. Personalized setup of settings.

5. Transfer of music.

6. Transfer of photos.

7. New toy syndrome.

8. Please add what I am missing.

25. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I don't think I've ever turned Bluetooth off and get excellent battery on my 6+. Battery drainage to that extent suggests something else is going on. Perhaps the Watch is attempting to pull information in low signal areas?