Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
While being reported that more publishers are pushing amazon to drop the 9.99 price point for ebooks gizmodo Amazon still has a major advantage and apple has an uphill battle on the ebook front.

People out of habit go to amazon for their books needs. When you think of books, you think of amazon and so the kindle has a great resource that apple does not. While they've signed many of the major publishers, that may not instantly translate into massive ebook sales.

This makes no sense, how is this an advantage for Kindle over iPad? People out of habit go to Amazon to buy PHYSICAL copies, not ebooks. Kindle owners go to Amazon because it's built right in, where else would they go? Same for iPad, they'll go to iBooks if it's built in. Neither has an advantage over it.

How about this instead, people buy applications, music, videos through iTunes all the time, why would they want to go to Amazon web site through Safari to buy ebooks when they can just go to iTunes on their iPad or iPhone? Apple already have a large number of iTunes paying customers who might just rather buy books through iTunes than Amazon.

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Whats in it for Amazon?

Its been widely reported that Amazon has been taking a hit on ebooks in order to sell at the $9.99 price.

Why?

Is it to sell more Kindles? If so why are they giving Kindles way to preferred customers?
Is it to sell more ebooks? If so why would they be willing to take a hit on each ebook?

I think someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Amazon wanted to lock up the ebook market. I believe this is why they are willing to take a hit on ebooks and give "some" Kindles away. With Apple entering the market and disrupting the plans Amazon had things will have to change. Amazon will not have the motivation to take a hit on ebooks or give away Kindles.

So in my opinion the iPad will not kill the Kindle...the fact that Amazon will not have a stranglehold on the ebook market will kill the Kindle (or at least the $259.00 US dollar Kindle). Maybe a $159-$199 Kindle will fill the gap left by those who want to read a real book and those who are willing to pay $499 for a multi function device.

Me, I will be keepig my Kindle, but dont think for a scond that I wont be reading on my 64gig 3G iPad;)

sumzero

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Forest Lake, MN
While being reported that more publishers are pushing amazon to drop the 9.99 price point for ebooks gizmodo Amazon still has a major advantage and apple has an uphill battle on the ebook front.

People out of habit go to amazon for their books needs. When you think of books, you think of amazon and so the kindle has a great resource that apple does not. While they've signed many of the major publishers, that may not instantly translate into massive ebook sales.

Advantage its apple... apple says buy and people buy

Advantage, you never have to leave your home just get it on itunes

Advantage, Color

Advantage Text book companies starting to develop apps for ipad

Advantage companies already pulling away from amazon.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
What? You can't be serious. It's a friggin ebook reader. That's all.

- 16 levels of gray
- no touch
- 3.3gb of storage
- has one function

(Well, now that we're talking specs 'n all.)

$485

And people accuse Apple of "overcharging"??

Once the iPad hits the shelves Amazon's Kindle fantasy is DONE. And all the suckers who coughed up $485 plus tax for these "ebook readers" can merrily eBay them for half price.

These folks are purchasing the Kindle not for the device itself, but to get access to Amazon's resources, digitally. Except that publishers are already getting behind the iPad in droves. Those resources are shifting. For the simple reason that the iPad and what it brings to the table is The Next Big thing. It's all about device convergence. Amazon's expensive ebook reader over a hot-sh*t iPad? LOL, not gonna happen. Not only is he iPad already destined to be the King of Content, but in terms of its UI, online experience, more powerful apps, backed by an ocean of developers looking to cash in all over again, it's like candy.

And guess what, Apple is taking aim squarely at the education market. And they'll take that, too. Easily. Think of the music industry and iTunes. Now apply the same thinking to ebooks and other print media that's gone (or will go) digital. Beautifully simple.

Apple in one fell swoop just destroyed the single-function ebook reader market. Expect that segment of the industry to fold into iPad-like multifunction devices. Hopefully this is the direction in which Bezos is taking Amazon. Otherwise it won't even be a game of catch-up for Amazon, but there will be no game at all.

I don't know what you are smoking but you are delusional. This will not kill the true ebook reader market. Actually, I think it will strengthen it. The iPad has NOTHING on a true ebook reader.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
That may be so, but that still only converts to only ₤3.53 or €4.02. Once the Kindle UK or Kindle Germany/France/etc. stores are open, that price is likely to be ₤4.25 or €4.25, is it not?

That may or may not be the case. I can't really predict that. However my main point was, that Amazon was only really starting with an advantage in North America. The rest of the world they are really starting on an equal footing. If Apple manage to get the iPad and iBooks out in the rest of the world, before Amazon bring Kindle and Kindle books to the other local sites, I'm not sure how Amazon can win the race.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I don't know what you are smoking but you are delusional. This will not kill the true ebook reader market. Actually, I think it will strengthen it. The iPad has NOTHING on a true ebook reader.

I agree with your comments about the other post, it's similar to other people who says MS is going to die cuz of Apple.

But I do want to clear up on the rest of your post.

There's no true or false ebook reader, e-ink != ebook. E-ink readers are not in any dangers of being killed, there'll always be some small market for it.

As for Kindle DX, it'll get affected the most by iPad. People will now have a much harder time justifying Kindle DX over iPad. Amazon will most likely be dropping price on K2 and DX fairly soon. They'll hold the prices till the iPad releases.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

When hardly anyone will want a "true" ebook reader for $480 . . . LOL, sure, we don't have to use the word "kill." How about: Negative retail situation? Or unanticipated diminished sales growth?

If something *can* be done on the iPad, even if not quite as well as on a dedicated device, consumers will still choose the iPad, and wait patiently until the iPad can perform that function on par.

Here's the magic formula: Take all the good things about the iPod Touch, now throw in a larger screen and a renewed platform with more capability, and you've got a winner.

The iPad will do to other ebook readers what the iPod did to other mp3 players.

Amazon is just Zuning it now.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I agree with your comments about the other post, it's similar to other people who says MS is going to die cuz of Apple.

But I do want to clear up on the rest of your post.

There's no true or false ebook reader, e-ink != ebook. E-ink readers are not in any dangers of being killed, there'll always be some small market for it.

As for Kindle DX, it'll get affected the most by iPad. People will now have a much harder time justifying Kindle DX over iPad. Amazon will most likely be dropping price on K2 and DX fairly soon. They'll hold the prices till the iPad releases.

By "true" ebook reader, I meant single function device. The Kindle can do two things. Display ebook and play audio books. Period. If all someone wants is to read ebooks, then why would they go to a glossy screened device that is more money and requires a monthly fee for 3G access.

Although the DX may get hit harder, it will only be by the market who was on the fence about buyig one in the first place. Like me. I was going to get a DX for Christmas, but then the rumored Apple tablet was supposed to be announce at the end of January, so I waited. Now, I'm glad I did. The iPad is the device I was looking at.

My wife loves her Kindle DX and would never move away from it. Not just because she has money invested in her Kindle, but she doesn't see the need to all the other features. She has her iPhone and iPod Nano for occasional web browsing and gym music.

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Am I the only one that see the humor in the big a$$ Kindle ad at the bottom of this thread lol

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I don't know how anyone can already decide that the iPad will not be a comfortable and easy reader. You have not actually seen it or touched it yet. How can you tell it will not be a good experience?

When SJ presented the iBook, I immediately guessed that Apple designed it following a model of one of the iPhone's application - Classics. The lighting is subtle and easy on the eyes. When you read the book, you flick the bottom right of the page to go to the next page with no effort. You can also go back by flicking the bottom left, pretty much as if you are reading a real book. When ever you leave the application, it bookmarks it to where you left.

I think everyone should reserve their judgment until they see the actual iBook.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
lol so wait, are you saying that just because you think of Amazon when you think of eBooks, that's a big advantage?

Don't get me wrong, Amazon is a fine store, I just don't really see that as a advantage, not a good one anyway.
People like new things, most of them do anyway, so therefor, they'd be willing to try the iTunes book store. I actually wanna see what it would be like.

I'm more than sure that the iPad will not kill of the Kindle in anyway, even though there will be competition, both will do fine. If anything, I think that as a eReader, the Kindle will actually do better, just because people like E-ink.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
its a ebook, if active display is that good, laptop/desktop/netbook would have taken over books already.

the feeling of "reading a book" is a strange thing, there is few technical advances on paper, but is always important for an ebook reader.

Laptops/desktops/netbooks never had a chance in the market because of their format. All of them have widescreen displays and because of the clamshell format you can't move them around like you can with a book or Kindle. The iPad isn't the first tablet device, but it is one of the thinnest, lightest, and has one of the best lcd's.

Now I own a Kindle and it is great for reading most of the time, the problem is on cloudy days the lighting in my apartment is weak and it makes it hard for me to read. I have a booklight but it has too much spread for the kindle, it lights most of the room behind it. The iPad won't compare to a Kindle in good lighting, but in all other situations the iPad will be more functional.

The thing is, the iPad can be used for much more and people who didn't want to buy a kindle for its single purpose will find the iPad more appealing and 'affordable' ($259 for a single function device vs $499 for a multifunction device).

One more thing: the Amazon store on the Kindle is not fun to use at all. I usually use my laptop or iPhone to send books to my Kindle because browsing the store takes so long.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The Kindle isn't going anywhere. Period. And even if iPad dominated the marketplace for eReaders - it still wouldn'.t And any "death" wouldn't happen the day the iPad is launched. It will easily take a 1-2 years before it was even a consideration by Amazon to pull the plug. Which they won't.

I'm not a fanboy nor am I bashing the iPad or praising the Kindle. But seriously - anyone that think the iPad is going to crush every other product to death is delusional. Not everyone wants or can afford an iPad. And the iPad wouldn't even hit critical mass for well over 1 year anyway....

Before some of you start digging graves for products which aren't even direct competition - learn some basic business and economics. Your "predictions" are laughable.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
while the iPad has a screen that is to be found on cheap laptops, admittedly with a layer of multitouch sensors.
Actually, very few laptops have IPS screens; nearly all of them are TN panels.
Expect apple to say all e-book reader apps on iPad are a no go especially the Kindle Reader.

Makes zero sense for Apple to introduce agency publishing for publishers and then introduce a method on their own device to get the exact same content from someone else for the exact same price and not get any of the money.

That makes zero sense as a business decision, and for a business you are trying to build from the ground up it is even worse.

It is like wal-mart putting in a little mini grocery store inside each of their stores that sold the same stuff they did for the same price, but did not pay any rent or give any money to wal mart. Why on earth would they do that.
I'm not sure about this, myself. Apple is going to have to start treading a little more lightly with some of their anti-competitive policies as they basically control the PMP market. Amazon would have a good case against them using their market position in portable music/video players to bully people out of the eBook market (which they are new to). Think MS and IE 10 years ago, or whatever.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
The Kindle is NOT available Worldwide.
It has NO advantages at all in New Zealand as Amazon will not supply it to us.
So no ifs or buts ~ the iPad will win hands down..

A Kiwi ....... fed up with hearing about the kindle... :)

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
Its been widely reported that Amazon has been taking a hit on ebooks in order to sell at the $9.99 price.

Why?

Is it to sell more Kindles? If so why are they giving Kindles way to preferred customers?
Is it to sell more ebooks? If so why would they be willing to take a hit on each ebook?

I think someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Amazon wanted to lock up the ebook market. I believe this is why they are willing to take a hit on ebooks and give "some" Kindles away. With Apple entering the market and disrupting the plans Amazon had things will have to change. Amazon will not have the motivation to take a hit on ebooks or give away Kindles.

So in my opinion the iPad will not kill the Kindle...the fact that Amazon will not have a stranglehold on the ebook market will kill the Kindle (or at least the $259.00 US dollar Kindle). Maybe a $159-$199 Kindle will fill the gap left by those who want to read a real book and those who are willing to pay $499 for a multi function device.

Me, I will be keepig my Kindle, but dont think for a scond that I wont be reading on my 64gig 3G iPad;)

I think amazon's motive was to get the ball rolling on electronic books. Long term Amazon will make more if they can sell books electronically than to sell and ship physical books. Look for Amazon to get into the publishing business too.

I don't think they had anticipated competition like this from Apple, but at the end of the day, just like their MP3 store, Amazon benefits long term by being one of the big players in the market.

Look for Amazon to open up their ebooks to all devices (non-DRM) in the next year in addition to me thinking they might start their own electronic only press.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010

I see your point but I disagree. People are going to choose to buy iPads instead of Kindles for the simple reason that the iPad can do *alot* more than their Kindle. web browsing, photo, video, access to thousands of games and apps, music/movies + itunes, and ofcourse the e-books.

You might argue that netbooks can do all of these but netbooks are inconvenient when you have to boot/shutdown it every time you want to use it, viruses/malware/etc, performance issues, crappy display, etc.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
plus, the $250 version of kindle has a smaller screen. The $485 version has the same size screen. Kindle is way over priced.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
The Kindle is NOT available Worldwide.
It has NO advantages at all in New Zealand as Amazon will not supply it to us.
So no ifs or buts ~ the iPad will win hands down..
You do realise that right now Apple won't give you iBooks either. It may come later, but so might Kindle. Seems more like a 0:0 draw to me.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
You do realise that right now Apple won't give you iBooks either. It may come later, but so might Kindle. Seems more like a 0:0 draw to me.

But the iPad will let them watch movies/videos, surf the web, download and use 140K+ apps, play games, etc.

So no, this is not a draw. the iPad 1, Kindle 0 (in NZ at least)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But the iPad will let them watch movies/videos, surf the web, download and use 140K+ apps, play games, etc.

So no, this is not a draw. the iPad 1, Kindle 0 (in NZ at least)

In YOUR opinion perhaps.

The iPad can do a lot more. It's not a dedicated eReader. Some people JUST want an eReader. They have no need for all the bells and whistles. They don't need to spend twice as much to get what they want.

Is the iPhone the only smartphone? No.
Is the iPod the only MP3 player? No.
Is the Mac the only desktop computer? No
Is iTunes the only place to buy MP3s? No
Is iTunes the only place to rent/buy movies/tv? No.

Why? Because people have different wants, needs and budget.

Love the iPad all you want. The iPad will take its place in the market and even if it dominates it - that doesn't mean anything or everything else will fail or have to disappear.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
In YOUR opinion perhaps.

The iPad can do a lot more. It's not a dedicated eReader. Some people JUST want an eReader. They have no need for all the bells and whistles. They don't need to spend twice as much to get what they want.

Is the iPhone the only smartphone? No.
Is the iPod the only MP3 player? No.
Is the Mac the only desktop computer? No
Is iTunes the only place to buy MP3s? No
Is iTunes the only place to rent/buy movies/tv? No.

Why? Because people have different wants, needs and budget.

Love the iPad all you want. The iPad will take its place in the market and even if it dominates it - that doesn't mean anything or everything else will fail or have to disappear.

I agree with you that some people might just want an e-reader, but that market will eventually shrink once the Kindle gets more competition. Even amazon realizes they have to make the kindle more versatile if they want to compete with the iPad and other tablets out there.

-they just release the kindle sdk to encourage people to develop apps for the Kindle.

-Amazon just acquired a startup specializing in touchscreen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.