Kingston SSDNow V200?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Tomales, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Tomales macrumors newbie

Hi'

Have just ordered my Mac Mini (2,3 i7) and plan to install:

Lightroom 4 (images placed on a NAS)
    Office for Mac

Would like to use an old Kingston SSDNow V200 120 GB.

But do I need a bigger a SSD and will the Kingston SSD fit in the Mac Mini ?

Thank you in advance.

// Tomales

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Should fit, OWC's data doubler kit says any 2.5" SSD up to 9.5mm height, and that drive is 9.5mm

As to whether it's big enough, well that depends on how you'll use it. If it's just straight SSD boot drive you'll be OK as long as you're careful what goes on it. If you fuse it with the hard drive then you'll be fine.

3. Omnius macrumors 6502a

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

if you pull the drive and swap or if you get a doubler kit matters.. Do you want to add the ssd as a second drive or do you want to swap it with the oem drive? Adding a second drive is harder then making a swap. It is also harder to set it back to stock. Since it is more labor and more parts I usually use the biggest ssd I can get. ie 180gb and up.

this is a 250gb for 169;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147189.

If I make a swap it is easier and I only need the ssd not other parts. So If that was my machine. I would not buy a new ssd or any parts and just swap drives.

Unless I had the money for a bigger ssd like the one I linked. plus the money for this kit.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

there is another reason I would not use the kingston if I double the drives. It is not as reliable as the samsung. so doing the harder more costly install I would want a trouble free ssd. (samsung)