Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Just happened a moment ago when I tried scrolling on another website...no scroll as if not receiving my finger input.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Going through warranty can result in getting another problematic device.

I’m buying another retail iPad Pro before this month is up. Looking for the right deal on a 1TB/6GB version sealed on eBay right now. Hoping I get a good one. My current iPad 11” seems ok for now, but I am selling it to recoup some money spent on the 1TB model.

I personally require a iPad Pro, it is such a versatile system, with really good battery life on top of stupid CPU power.

I need more storage space anyways, we will see how it goes.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
I’ve gone through the factory reset which seems to be working so far. Not ideal but will see how it goes.

Cancel that, spoke too soon :(

Unfortunately it usually comes back after factory reset. Seems like a hardware issue that develops itself over time. Happens on iPad Pros 2017 and 2018. Also some regular iPad models are affected. I'm not buying any iPads from Apple until they admit the problem and guarantee they fixed it. Otherwise it's just a year of an expensive device usage until you run out of warranty with a broken hardware having mysterious problems.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Mine does this as well. Debating to take it in to Apple Store or not. I do have a Media Devil Screen Saver on but is this happening with no screen saver on?

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Mine does this as well. Debating to take it in to Apple Store or not. I do have a Media Devil Screen Saver on but is this happening with no screen saver on?

Yes. I have the problems and have never put a screen saver on, since, for ‘some reason’ there still isn’t a screen saver that I trust to work. Which to me points back to a hardware or iOS problem to begin with.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
I'm on my 3rd iPad Pro and all of them have this problem. It happens most when the battery is low and it is plugged in to recharge and when the iPad feels warm or hot. It makes competitive games unplayable when the screen locks up all the time. Especially pubg when opponents come near there is a spike in cpu and network activity that causes touchscreen lockups right when its time to face opponents. If you got the iPad Pro to play games on, you're going to have a bad time. You have to stick with turn-based games where it will not make you lose if the touchscreen locks up.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I'm on my 3rd iPad Pro and all of them have this problem. It happens most when the battery is low and it is plugged in to recharge and when the iPad feels warm or hot. It makes competitive games unplayable when the screen locks up all the time. Especially pubg when opponents come near there is a spike in cpu and network activity that causes touchscreen lockups right when its time to face opponents. If you got the iPad Pro to play games on, you're going to have a bad time. You have to stick with turn-based games where it will not make you lose if the touchscreen locks up.
Did you take it to the Genius Bar?

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

I don’t have those issues at all. My issues are only with typing, and it is very minor, and only occasionally at that.

I can assure you though, something is up with your iPad Pro.

I game a lot on my 11” iPad Pro, and it is a lot of fun too. It’s always smooth. And I never have touch issues while gaming, not ever! I play Ark survival, PUBG, GTA SA, and Grid. I’m good at any of these titles. I just played 4 hours straight in GTA SA, butter smooth experience. And it’s the same experience with any other game too, never have a touch screen issue.

Here’s my last 10 days battery usage lol. I’ve been murdering this thing with heavy heavy gaming. I love it that much, it’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a device this much.

I’ve been home everyday for 2 weeks lol. Fun fun fun.

Last edited:

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Here’s my last 10 days battery usage lol. I’ve been murdering this thing with heavy heavy gaming. I love it that much, it’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a device this much.

I’ve been home everyday for 2 weeks lol. Fun fun fun.

I’m truly happy about your experience. I believe there are those including you who do not experience systematic hardware problem with the touch screen. But this thread is about us, people who are having this problem.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
I’m truly happy about your experience. I believe there are those including you who do not experience systematic hardware problem with the touch screen. But this thread is about us, people who are having this problem.

Lol. I was just in my way to the Apple store to play around with the iPad Pro and decide between the 11 and 12.9” and came across this thread.

Stopped my purchase in its tracks.

Can’t be dealing with this on top of potential bend risks too.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’ve noticed this on a few minor occasions since upgrading to iOS 12 (1st gen 12.9 which has never previously exhibited the issue). Basically you go to tap a link or something and it doesn’t register that you’ve done it, sometimes you can try it 2-3 times and eventually have to scroll so you’re pressing the link on a different area of the screen to get it to go. As this is a recent issue on a previously flawless device I’ve had 3 years from new I would say definitely software related.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
I’ve noticed this on a few minor occasions since upgrading to iOS 12 (1st gen 12.9 which has never previously exhibited the issue). Basically you go to tap a link or something and it doesn’t register that you’ve done it, sometimes you can try it 2-3 times and eventually have to scroll so you’re pressing the link on a different area of the screen to get it to go. As this is a recent issue on a previously flawless device I’ve had 3 years from new I would say definitely software related.

Yeah! Same on my side, it did definitely start with iOS 12. But the fact that the problem doesn't go away even after a hard reset and some people experience it and some don't makes me think it's a hardware issue that develops over time and iOS 12 update is coincidental.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah! Same on my side, it did definitely start with iOS 12. But the fact that the problem doesn't go away even after a hard reset and some people experience it and some don't makes me think it's a hardware issue that develops over time and iOS 12 update is coincidental.
Interesting, I've gone back and read the link for my model you posted in post 9... so it's an issue that's been ongoing since iOS 11. To my knowledge my unit has only been doing it since I've updated to 12, and still only very infrequently, but I will have to keep an eye on it and see if it worsens at all.

Reactions: DragonX

Merrysman

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
Newest 12.9’” iPad Pro, 1 TB/6 Gb model running iOS 12.1.3., no Screen Protector applied. Seems to occur on all areas of the screen.

Screen freezes. Started cropping up just in the last few weeks, seems to be getting worse. Reacts as though the screen was very dirty or my finger isn’t contacting then screen completely. Interestingly, the freeze will sometimes stop when the iPad is changed from any angle to level. Also, sometimes if allot of finger pressure is used then the freeze is gone.

Mostly, there seems to be no problem at all, then the problem happens again out of nowhere.

Is this a common or known problem that will probably be fixed with an iOS Update? Is there a Setting to increase screen sensitivity to touch? Or should I use Apple Care and get it replaced?

Here's my speculation: I believe the LCD displays have a glue around them. Over time it's either the glue wears off that the LCD connecter moves a little off from the iPad. It is a very minor issue which should be fixed by Apple but their policy that ipads cannot be repaired are ridiculous. Now Apple is literally becoming one of those chinese brands where the things would stop working anytime. They provide warranty which is being useless as this issue happened to me right a month after warranty was gone. I have 2017 ipad pro 256 GB cellular. I went through their whole process and they told me it will be replaced for around 600 dollars (because I'm. Out of warranty) I'm highly disappointed at Apple and they don't care about a small amount of people. If major people had this issue apple would have cared. Shows how Apple is now self righteous thing .They don't care for some users. Their policies suck. They just wanna whore out all the money out of your pockets and that's their only goal now it seems.

Reactions: g75d3 and DragonX

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
Here's my speculation: I believe the LCD displays have a glue around them. Over time it's either the glue wears off that the LCD connecter moves a little off from the iPad. It is a very minor issue which should be fixed by Apple but their policy that ipads cannot be repaired are ridiculous. Now Apple is literally becoming one of those chinese brands where the things would stop working anytime. They provide warranty which is being useless as this issue happened to me right a month after warranty was gone. I have 2017 ipad pro 256 GB cellular. I went through their whole process and they told me it will be replaced for around 600 dollars (because I'm. Out of warranty) I'm highly disappointed at Apple and they don't care about a small amount of people. If major people had this issue apple would have cared. Shows how Apple is now self righteous thing .They don't care for some users. Their policies suck. They just wanna whore out all the money out of your pockets and that's their only goal now it seems.

Apple genius mentioned LCD glue when they replaced the iPad that had the worst non-responsive display defect. But they said it was a display defect not a touchscreen defect. When it gets bad enough you can see light bleed around the edges and it qualifies for a replacement based on visual defects not based on unresponsive touchscreen.

If you have the unresponsive touchscreen look for that light bleed in order to get the iPad replaced. My new iPad goes unresponsive all the time but does not have any light bleed yet I'm waiting for it so I can get this dumb thing replaced again. I wish they would just refund me because this is so exhausting, I really regret my iPad purchase.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
As I keep having this issue, I tried to be more careful about when it occurs and how. Here are a couple of things I noticed:
- screen is not always unresponsive; this goes on and off;
- when it comes up, the most common patterns are that it ignores all gestures (often on home screen) for 10 or 20 seconds and resumes to normal, or drops some of the touchscreen inputs, typically motion gestures (then it stays "mildly unresponsive" for minutes);
- when this happens, the pencil seems not to be impacted (so I often use the pencil instead of my own fingers, which is a bit annoying but much less frustrating than to fight to get inputs recognized).

Reactions: g75d3

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Apple genius mentioned LCD glue when they replaced the iPad that had the worst non-responsive display defect. But they said it was a display defect not a touchscreen defect. When it gets bad enough you can see light bleed around the edges and it qualifies for a replacement based on visual defects not based on unresponsive touchscreen.

If you have the unresponsive touchscreen look for that light bleed in order to get the iPad replaced. My new iPad goes unresponsive all the time but does not have any light bleed yet I'm waiting for it so I can get this dumb thing replaced again. I wish they would just refund me because this is so exhausting, I really regret my iPad purchase.
How did you test for light bleed? Thanks

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I had similar issues where the screen would just stop responding to touches for a few seconds. I never thought about it but it didn’t happen when the pencil was being used, or connected to it, now that I think about it. I figured it was a beta problem so I restored and set up as new on 12.1.4 and haven’t experienced any problems yet. Although I haven’t repaired the pencil with it. Makes me wonder if it’s a pencil issue.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
I had similar issues where the screen would just stop responding to touches for a few seconds. I never thought about it but it didn’t happen when the pencil was being used, or connected to it, now that I think about it. I figured it was a beta problem so I restored and set up as new on 12.1.4 and haven’t experienced any problems yet. Although I haven’t repaired the pencil with it. Makes me wonder if it’s a pencil issue.

My pencil is connected to the magnet all the time and I see unresponsive touchscreen probably a dozen times a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.