known problems with the new 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barebackbadger8, Mar 10, 2011.

1. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

just looking on bestbuy uk, and i have a 10% off voucher code and can earn 8% cashback aswell on the mbp 13". bringing the price of it down to £830 (uk normal price £999)!

ok so im hearing mixed reviews/problems with the new mbp 13"

anyone who as purchased one, what are the issues your having if any with yours?

2. NewToMac11 macrumors member

only issue i've had with mine is now i cannot stand to use the PCs at work anymore. :D

3. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I've had mine for 5 days and have no had any issues with it. I love it.:D

4. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

thanks for that lol

i finally decided on the mba 13", but for £270 less i can get the mbp!
    i know about the whole ssd vs hdd etc

so im just looking for issues with the new mbp's, if there isn't any/many ill get the mbp next weekend (my 30th birthday :D )

EDIT: hey aimee, how you finding the fan noise? heard it can get quite noisy

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

6. ramo macrumors member

lol at this thread.

If you are worried about problems so much, you should just go buy a PC, because I'm sure they dont have any problems, and you'll probably save some money

7. rossmadden macrumors member

had mine for 3 days, absolutely love it.
    7-8 hours battery life is amazing.
    I opened up about 10 programs earlier, including office 2011 and all of ilife, safari and itunes, which only then used 11% of the CPU, so it's more than powerful.

Any tests you'd like me to do?

8. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

My i5 is great...under moderate workload, it runs, on average, 10 degrees C warmer than its predecessor but I guess power comes at a cost doesn't it.

9. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The graphics are a step down from the Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro models that these models replace, but in every other way, these new ones are better.

10. mehanika Guest

On some tasks..

11. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I don't think it's noisy. My HP was noisier. I have noticed a difference in the sound from the HP to the Mac (not louder, just different), and I think that has more to do with plastic vs metal body than the fan itself.

12. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

according to anandtech and other reviews its only worse under windows 7 but the same and slightly (and i mean slightly to the point not even worth noting) in OSX.

mine runs perfect and have had no issues with it what so ever.

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Why do the kids seem to have such an issue with manners and being so rude online? If you aren't a child then grow up.

14. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

thanks for your input buddy!

i'm sensing a bit of sarcasm in your post though!
    "buy a pc, because i'm sure they don't have problems" yea right :D

thanks to everyone else for your replies. i think ill get the 13" mbp!
    not that bothered about graphics. sam and max, BTTF, angry birds are the most likely games ill play. nothing to intensive got a ps3 for that

ill prob swap out the 5400rpm drive for a 7200rpm drive or even the hybrid seagate one (just off to read some reviews on that now)

had a MBP before and had to sell it (had it for one week) and because of the discount etc its a no brainer really.
    ive then got a year to save up for applecare in case of any future problems

thanks again guys

15. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

gutted had a 15%off voucher code for bestbuy, went to reserve/order online earlier but they are all out of stock :(

16. SolidSnak3 macrumors member

No issues here, the only thing thats kinda annoying is that when i play a game the fans turn on rather quickly and the sound is kinda annoying, other than that its perfectly fine ;)
    Also i love garageband ;)

17. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Had my i5 for three days and no issues whatsoever. The HDD is extremely quiet, I've been putting it through its paces and it doesn't get that hot. I love it :D

18. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

to be fair, while i was in bestbuy i checked out the 13" and 15" mbp (i have only normally looked at the MBA's) and they were quite hot around the trackpad area and they were the 2010 mbp, i know because the 13" had the core 2 duo in and the 15" only because it had the geforce gpu in it!

so im pretty happy to spend my money on the new mbp, just waiting for bestbuy online to allow me to reserve online so i can use my newly found 15% voucher!

19. scmarcos macrumors member

20. moosaur macrumors newbie

I got the cheapest 13in mbp the day they came out. It's my first mac and I love it.

I can play starcraft 2 on low, and it does get pretty hot -- but I haven't noticed any annoying fan noise (but I'm coming from a pretty old beat up Gateway, so my standards aren't great). With anything else, I haven't noticed much heat/fan noise at all.

21. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

22. ozred macrumors 6502

Mine was just fine.

Although I do have 20/20 vision, if I used it for more than 45 minutes the mirror like glass display is too shiny, produces lots of glare, and that's using it inside an office with no windows to make it worse.

Apple is the only company that seems obsessed with shiny displays.

I now have a glossy Sony VAIO S, and it's dull compared to the Mac. It's quite nice to use. I also saved $355 on the price.

23. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

internet lol
    its for the uk bestbuy, the code is: comp15

that is for 15% off any laptop over £599!

24. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Awesome thanks

I'm not looking to buy now, I'm saving the pennies for the 2012 refresh

25. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

The new MBPs are great they double as a heater for your house. Just turn it on and go to a flash website or type a document in pages and instant heat! Don't leave it on over night though your house will burn down