Known viruses for Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drossad, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drossad macrumors regular

I repeatedly hear from people and see on forums like these that there are no known viruses for Mac. The director of the IT department at the college I go to (and work for) just told me today that there are around 4,000 known viruses for Mac and that I shouldn't believe all the false statements and rumors. Is this old news? True? I was surprised. Anybody want to weigh in on this one?

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

There are no viruses for Mac. People will try however, to get you to install software without reading the information about it. But OS X requires a password to install anything on your HD so unless you're just installing random stuff you have nothing to worry about.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

There are thousands of known viruses/trojans for OS9 and plenty for the previous systems. There are plenty of viruses for OSX, but as the previous poster said, you have to approve them being installed, so as long as you never enter your password when installing something questionable (and especially for anything from an email), then you have nothing to worry about at all.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

no...

Your IT director is wrong and should be fired.

5. l'homme macrumors member

Maybe the IT guy was talking about Boot Camp/Virtual Machines ha, btw there are much more than 4k viruses for windows.

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

yep , ive had a long list of os8 & 9 viruses read out to me by IT guys,

7. dhm118 macrumors newbie

What about spyware/malware? I keep thinking I see my iSight camera light flash, like it's taking my photo or something. Anyone?

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

That's just the government.

9. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Yeah, I have been visiting my buddy here in Canada for 3 weeks now. His brother is one of those pro-Vista people (sick bastard).
    He keeps trying to find sites (that I have never heard of BTW) that say stuff like:

as of january 2008 there are ~160 known viruses for OS X.

I don't trust random sites that "claim" to have statistics. Everyone can make up statistics. Forfteen percent of all people know that!

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nonsense. The number of Macs-specific viruses I have is something like 26. Most of those date back to System 6 and System 7. There were maybe one or two MacOS 9-era Mac viruses. However, the Mac-installation of Office was vulnerable to the plethora of Microsoft Office macro viruses including VBA malware scripts. As for trojans, they were not a significant threat to MacOS 9 or any previous version of the OS.

A virus, by definition, must operate on its own once it is on your computer. No user intervention is required. What you are describing is not a virus; it is a trojan. There are not thousands of Mac trojans.

Symantec's SARC site used to list every PC and Mac virus and every other threat. Before posting nonsense like this in the future, please Google the topic of Macintosh viruses and post some real information.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're right. Don't believe the false statements and rumors. Like his. He needs to be fired.

12. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Next time you see the IT director, ask for the names of just 10 "known" viruses for the Mac by:

1) specific name or identifier

2) date when the Mac virus was identified and observed in the wild

3) method of incursion

4) Mac OS X code exploited and threat level (i.e., system compromised, file deletion, code injection, hijack, etc.)

5) number of infected/compromised machines.

13. drossad thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate everybody's feedback, but you need to calm down MisterMe, I was just questioning what I had heard. I thought maybe guys like you, who know everything about Mac, would have some feedback. I'd rather get that than search Google. It's called community. I didn't expect to be berated. Besides, if you thought it was such an unworthy post than you shouldn't have replied.
    Nonetheless, thanks for all your feedback.
    I will definitely be questioning my IT guy some more for specific threat info.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Um, MisterMe was responding to disconap's posts, not yours. So, let's all calm down? :eek:

15. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Trojans, sorry. I had a friend about ten years ago who had one of the beige G3 all-in-ones (which were rad) and he used to get them daily (he also downloaded tons of illegal warez/music, and actually he may have been running 8.5). I was barely online before OSX for anything other than mail/web browsing, so I've never had to deal with either.

16. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

17. drossad thread starter macrumors regular

My apologies MisterMe. Thank you dejo.

18. 2Shae macrumors 6502

You'll never encounter a virus.
    I would dare to say that you can visit any website on the net and won't be infected by a virus or spyware unless you download & give permission to install shady software. Which basically won't be a virus then.

It's nothing like Windows, where you have to fear everything you download.

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Agreed. He should be fired.

20. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. Your "friend" may have had some problems, but that does not mean that he had malware. The biggest problems facing Macs prior to MacOS X were conflicting extensions. Your friend sounds like someone who loved to see three rows of extensions dance along the bottom of his screen during startup. Assuming that the extensions were up-to-date, then MacOS 9 was fairly stable once the user forced his extensions to load in proper order.

21. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This will surely shut him up.

22. KingRocky macrumors member

Does anyone know of the latest accurate count of Windows viruses? The last I heard was back in 2005. Any newer numbers?

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.