Konica m2300w and Yosemite

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JHahn7837, Oct 18, 2014.

1. JHahn7837 macrumors newbie

I have been running my Konica Minolta m2300w laser printer on OSX 10.9.5 just fine using foomatic, ghostscript, and the m2300w driver found here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/m2300w

Since upgrading to 10.10, the driver no longer works and I get a filter failed message in the print queue when printing. I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions in order to get this driver working again. Any help is appreciated.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try going to :apple: --> System Preferences --> Printer & Scanners --> right click in the white section and hit "Reset Printing System". Then attempt to re-install the printer from the driver you use currently.

3. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I have already tried resetting the print system, as well as reinstalling foomatic-rip, ghostscript, and the m2300w driver.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Would using the generic drivers included in OS X work?

5. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

There isn't a generic driver listed. A message under the driver selection says software for this printer isn't available from apple.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is a generic postscript printer driver included in OS X in the drop down menu when adding a printer.

7. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see that option when adding an IP (network) printer, but not when adding a default (USB) printer. My m2300w is USB connected.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do any other options appear?

9. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just "select printer software" and "other" - which allows me to browse the hdd

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try the Gutenprint package. I think there is a generic driver included in it.

11. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try that package earlier today. Generic drivers didn't work, unfortunately.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I think Yosemite brought some changes to the printing system. I suppose it is only go to Mavericks, see if you can hook it to the network, or stop using it. Do you have an AirPort as your router by chance?

13. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am thinking the same thing. I am using Time Machine so going back shouldn't be too painful.

I am going to look into maybe a jetdirect card and how that might work. Printer has USB and parallel connections.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I know if you plug a USB printer into an AirPort, PostScript drivers are available. Perhaps your router has that capability you can try.

15. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I don't have an airport router, and my Cisco router is on a different level of my house. I'll look into getting an airport as another possible option.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Even if it is a cheap old one. This is one of those things that "may work". A wireless print server may work as well. I know Linksys made some back in the wireless G days. Is this a business environment? If so the generic drivers may not be appropriate.

17. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just my home office. I'm eyeing a airport express on ebay for $30. Figure it's worth a shot.

18. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

Messing around this afternoon, I forced the install to use the mac universal postscript driver. It did not work :mad:

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Then the AirPort would afford you no further options.

20. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that Foomatic will need to be updated to be Yosemite friendly. Hopefully that will happen.

Frustrating that my perfectly good printer is useless because the only windows drivers available are for mostly obsolete OS's and the manufacturer doesn't care.

I got lucky that I was able to get Mavericks to print via Foomatic and Ghostscript.

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you have another printer that you can use in the mean time as Foomatic is being updated?

22. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a HP PSC 1315 inkjet to use if I need to print.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Then try waiting it out. However if you keep backing up the same Time Machine image, then it can't restore to Mavericks if needed.

24. JHahn7837 thread starter macrumors newbie

The original backup was mavericks, and I still have a most 1TB free space for time machine before it starts overwriting old backups.

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I just wanted to make sure you knew so that if you did have to downgrade you were not up a river without a paddle.