Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in the process of selecting suppliers for its long-rumored electric vehicle, according to a report from Korea's ETNews.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-triad.jpg

The report claims that Apple representatives visited South Korea in December last year to meet with local suppliers, following a preliminary visit in the summer of 2021. In particular, Apple is said to be looking for a number of vehicle electronic parts manufacturers with experience in mass production to provide core components for the vehicle.

Apple's interest in Korean manufacturers has purportedly led to a heated battle to secure a place in Apple's supply chain, and some suppliers are said to have formed a "Task Force" to actively respond to Apple's requests. Sources claim that Apple offered equity investment to at least one local electronic parts manufacturer in return for doubled production capacity.

Suppliers have purportedly not been given exact information about the vehicle's specifications due to discussions still being at an early stage. Even so, suppliers are said to be conscious of the need for confidentiality with Apple's vehicle project, with there being concern that leaks would likely lead to the company being removed as a supplier candidate.

Apple is reported to have a special interest in Korea's battery manufacturing capabilities and discussed electric vehicle batteries with LG and SK. Apple has allegedly insisted that it wants to develop and manufacture Apple car battery materials directly and requested intense secrecy. Some suppliers have refused the opportunity to work with Apple due to the high level of control it demanded.

After initiating face-to-face contact with some of the suppliers, Apple plans to continue discussions via online meetings. Apple is expected to complete the selection of suppliers for its vehicle by the end of 2022, followed by the initiation of full-scale development, public announcement, and mass production within the next two to three years.

Article Link: Korean Companies Battling to Enter Apple Car Supply Chain

Last edited:

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
Coordinating suppliers for a finished product is what Apple excels at…kind of like assembling suppliers for an iPhone 15 years ago it’s just the product is bigger now. Then eventually bringing in-house all the major pieces.

Reactions: jeffirl

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Looking forward to all the humorous stories to come in a few years:

“the latest carOS update bricked my car and I can’t get to work this morning!”

“The new carOS update is so buggy, the thing won’t display its charge status and the windshield wipers randomly come on”

Fun times ahead.

Biro

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
One has to assume that Apple is still deluding itself that it can provide meaningful autonomous driving sometime in the near future. That is something in which I have no interest. Even without such technology, I would prefer to stick with products from companies with a long history of building vehicles.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
One has to assume that Apple is still deluding itself that it can provide meaningful autonomous driving sometime in the near future. That is something in which I have no interest. Even without such technology, I would prefer to stick with products from companies with a long history of building vehicles.
That’s what they said about Apple and smartphones…

sonsofnarcissus

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Why is apple entering this market? 3 billion isn't enough?
Let's ignore autonomous driving for argument sake as that's probably more than a decade away. So then if we look at the auto trend - it's all about EVs and people will view automobiles as a tech product with wheels that gets you from point A to point B. From a quick google search, profit margins for auto manufacturers is 13-21%. Nothing spectacular but from AAPL's perspective it's probably a way to capture these low margins but more importantly entice people to get more entrenched in the ecosystem while having CarPlay in non AAPL vehicles. Just my 2c...could be way off. Never understood why they wanted to get into such a capital intensive business. Maybe they'll expand to auto insurance as well.

w5jck

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2013
And lawyers everywhere are eagerly awaiting the release of the 2020-something Apple iCrash. It should be interesting to see how it drives with minimal controls and using mostly convoluted hand gestures on a windshield that has a notch for the rear-view mirror! Good luck charging that puppy up with Apple's proprietary charging port that no recharging station in the universe, other than their own, can plug into. And don't even get me started on the super buggy crashOS versions 1 through infinity...

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Apple isn't stupid. If they are actually pursuing this to market, then they must believe they have a game changing vehicle. I highly doubt it is full autonomous because I think we are decades away from that in areas outside of controlled places like campuses and specially built neighborhoods. But if they believe that they can build a battery and powertrain that is technologically ahead of anything on the market and provide full integration of the apple ecosystem into the car, they might have a winner. Imagine if they develop a car with 500 mile range and luxury build quality (which is the exact opposite of the crap Tesla produces), AND every feature and function is fully integrated with your watch and phone, driving could become an extremely enjoyable experience

Reactions: DCW and newyorksole

now i see it

macrumors G3
Jan 2, 2002
Narrative goes from prospect after prospect bailing out on getting involved to now everyone is scrambling to get a piece of the pie.

You get to choose which story you want to believe.

MacFabulous

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
That’s what they said obout Apple entering the phone market. I think they will revolutionize the Robot Taxi market together with Tesla. Apple knows they have to bring something unique and novel to the table, in order to please investors/shareholders. Plus… it’s in their DNA! Maybe they could start with having fleets of autonomous hubs driving passenger round in airports. Then when experience is gained from that project they could have them commute in city centers in big cities, in a matter that is more fluently and effortless than regular taxies. When these Robo Taxies communicate and functions as one big hive, the efficiency and time spend there, will be much better than with the old taxi system. Maybe wee could see old manual gas cars disappear from those traffic jammed city centers. One could only hope. A more fluid and pleasant experience when moving around in cities where parking spots are rare and taxies are not always available. Huge potential there!

suns93

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
Coordinating suppliers for a finished product is what Apple excels at…kind of like assembling suppliers for an iPhone 15 years ago it’s just the product is bigger now. Then eventually bringing in-house all the major pieces.
Don’t forget they first partnered with Motorola to make the ROKR. And Cingular was at least partly involved with the iPhone development.

So I wouldn’t be shocked if the beginning of the Apple Car has a decent bit of collaboration with other companies, with the long-term plan of it being an independent product, with eventually as many of the parts as possible made in-house, as you mention.

Reactions: decypher44

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2015
Suppliers have purportedly not been given exact information about the vehicle's specifications due to discussions still being at an early stage. Even so, suppliers are said to be conscious of the need for confidentiality with Apple's vehicle project, with there being concern that leaks would likely lead to the company being removed as a supplier candidate.
Lol at this entire paragraph, found on a rumor site.

suns93

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
Shopping in Korea. Nice if they would shop in the USA.
You don’t think Apple would purposefully choose a foreign manufacturer over domestic just out of spite, do you?

The American auto industry did not have the foresight to prepare and be in the position to partner with Apple today. They’re playing catch up and Apple doesn’t have time to wait around. Also, I doubt they would agree to Apple’s demands.

Reactions: DCW

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017
Looking forward to all the humorous stories to come in a few years:

“the latest carOS update bricked my car and I can’t get to work this morning!”

“The new carOS update is so buggy, the thing won’t display its charge status and the windshield wipers randomly come on”

Fun times ahead.

I mean, we’re already there with other manufacturers. Thanks to a software update, my Tesla’s climate control stops working when temps dip below zero… it’s not fun seeing your breath on the daily commute.

• Wow
Reactions: DCW

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2021
good. we need alternatives to tesla's bug ridden software and shoddily constructed cars. and before the stans criticize me - i own one.

Saturn007

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
As to “billion”, although the term is dated, in Britain it meant a million million, that is, a trillion.

Perhaps, that's the source of confusion…

As to an Apple EV, I agree and will wager that Apple can do a much better job of it than Tesla!

But, still, the jokes at Apple's expense are pretty funny… just think about the car's accessories that will become outdated when Apple switches from the Apple EV-USB-100-pin charging connector to the Apple EV-USB-C one.

And, then, when it decides to STOP ? including a charger with the car as an ecological move, claiming that “Everyone already has lots of chargers and Apple is making the move to help the environment.”

However, they will quietly list and sell you a separate charger for an additional $1,999.99!

Oh, and the Back to School Special will include a pair of cumbersome, large Beats headphones for back seat passengers…?

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
You don’t think Apple would purposefully choose a foreign manufacturer over domestic just out of spite, do you?

The American auto industry did not have the foresight to prepare and be in the position to partner with Apple today. They’re playing catch up and Apple doesn’t have time to wait around. Also, I doubt they would agree to Apple’s demands.
All about the profit, not spite.

Naraxus

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2016
And lawyers everywhere are eagerly awaiting the release of the 2020-something Apple iCrash. It should be interesting to see how it drives with minimal controls and using mostly convoluted hand gestures on a windshield that has a notch for the rear-view mirror! Good luck charging that puppy up with Apple's proprietary charging port that no recharging station in the universe, other than their own, can plug into. And don't even get me started on the super buggy crashOS versions 1 through infinity...
I'm sure that sounded alot funnier in your head than what ended up typed out.

That said, I'm curious how you have so much knowledge of something that hasn't even gone into production yet, much less having been announced

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.