Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Hyundai subsidiary Kia signed a memorandum of understanding last year, agreeing to pursue cooperation in eight sectors, including electric vehicles, according to a new report from South Korean news site Chosun Biz, cited by Reuters.

kia-featured.jpg

Earlier this month, following weeks of rampant "Apple Car" rumors, Hyundai and Kia in regulatory filings said they are not in discussions with Apple to co-operate on development of a self-driving electric vehicle. This came just weeks after Hyundai released a statement indicating that Apple was in talks with a number of automakers, including Hyundai, regarding development of autonomous electric vehicles.

Today's report suggests a partnership may still be possible for Kia, claiming that negotiations with Apple "are not completely canceled," although the talks are said to be "experiencing difficulties." The scope of the negotiations is "wide" with room to grow, according to the report. Apple and Kia could end up partnering on "last mile" transportation with Kia's electric scooters, for example, rather than a full-out vehicle.

In any case, the "Apple Car" is believed to be years away from release, with estimates ranging from 2024 all the way to 2028.

Article Link: Korean Report Says Kia Partnership With Apple Still Possible

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Of course it's still possible. Apple won't decide on a partner until the next few years. Keep in mind this vehicle isn't coming until 2027 or later.

AppleDesig.n

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2021
Apple has no time to waste. Kia is supposed to be the best choice. Autonomous cars are the key features of the future cars, which means software/codes and the computing IC are more important than other attributes. Kia needs Apple too.

Ken88

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2020
It’s kind of like your exGF..she kept coming back..she might not like you but she knows the sex is awesome?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Hyundai/KIA were given a time out and made to think that Apple could pick someone else because they broke the sacred first rule of Apple Club that you don’t talk about Apple Club.

In the end, Tim Cook will make the best decision for the company and if that’s KIA, then he’ll call them back after they’ve had their time out.

frozen220

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Kia has proven itself to be a competitive and reliable car company, especially in the last 5 years. Most People who speak ill of Kia clearly haven’t had one in the last 10 years. They’ve come a looooong way. Reliability and design is now among the top. Take a look at the Telluride, and the new 2021 Sorento. This isn’t your grandmother’s Kia.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Like obviously they aren’t gonna admit they’re talking to Apple. They’re gonna say no like they’re supposed to. It’s very possible the relationship is ongoing.

vicviper789

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
Friend had a Kia. She was driving down the highway when a piston connecting rod broke. The car had 40,000 miles on it.

Company I was working for rented a Kia soronto for me to drive. It felt dangerously slow getting on the highway and going up mountains was terrifying.

I rather buy a Hyundai than drive another Kia that feels like the space shuttle Columbia

Reactions: qoop

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
And in other news:

Hyundai will recall 82,000 Kona EVs to replace batteries​

Problem seems to be bad LG Chem batteries.

Chevy in November recalled 70,000 Bolts due to bad LG Chem batteries too.

I don't see this as a direct problem with Hyundai/Kia themselves, but rather bad parts/supplier. It's no different than the tens of millions of cars that had to be recalled due to bad Takata air bag inflators.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Friend had a Kia. She was driving down the highway when a piston connecting rod broke. The car had 40,000 miles on it.

Company I was working for rented a Kia soronto for me to drive. It felt dangerously slow getting on the highway and going up mountains was terrifying.
What does this anecdotal evidence tell us? No car is 100% perfect.

Even Toyota/Lexus, which are renowned for their reliability, can have problems.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Haven't they learned anything from the debacle a few weeks back? Why are they still issuing memos on the subject if talking about it was exactly what got them in hot water with Apple in the first place?

BigMac?

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Erlangen, Bavaria
Yeah, KIA-Hyundai Corp is a great choice.
another possibility could be working with Magna Corporation (they are building high quality cars for many different carmakers like:
  • Jaguar E-Pace, since 2017.
  • BMW 5er (G30), since 2017.
  • Mercedes-Benz G-Klasse, W463, since 2018.
  • Jaguar I-Pace, since 2018.
  • BMW Z4 (G29), since 2018.
  • Toyota Supra, since 2019.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.