Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the iPhone X launched just three days ago, we're already starting to hear rumors about what to expect from next year's models.

iphone-x-angled.jpg

Specifically, oft-reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said he believes iPhones released in 2018 will feature a "more complex" metal frame design and casing assembly for the purpose of improving data transmission quality.

An excerpt of Kuo's research note with KGI Securities, obtained by MacRumors:
Orders for 2H18F iPhones are market focus; both Catcher and Casetek have won new orders. We believe the metal frame of 2H18F iPhone models will be composed of more parts (iPhone X has four parts) for improving data transmission quality. We believe Apple will need more metal frame and casing assembly capacity and new suppliers because of more complex metal frame design and casing assembly, while models equipped with AMOLED and stainless steel metal frame will increase to two (vs. only one -- iPhone X -- in 2H17). We expect Catcher will obtain stainless steel metal frame and casing assembly orders. If Casetek can pass certification in late 4Q17 or early 1Q18, it also may win aluminum metal frame and casing assembly orders.
Kuo said Taiwanese suppliers Catcher Technology and Casetek have won orders from Apple for the new metal frames, including two models with stainless steel frames, which likely includes the iPhone X and so-called iPhone X Plus.

Kuo has previously said that Apple will likely expand Face ID to all iPhone models in 2018, with a complete abandonment of Touch ID. He also said 2018 iPhones are unlikely to gain a rear-facing TrueDepth camera system.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo: 2018 iPhones Will Have 'More Complex' Metal Frames for Improved Cellular Signal Transmission

Reactions: Avieshek

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
The X has been out two minutes and we're already reading into what the next model will feature.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This article seem to suggest there is a problem with the cell reception and they are going to make an improvement.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Do any of this guy's words actually come true lol we always have some "experts" who claim that the iPhone will have ..., or will be ... and etc but in the end 50% of the things they've said don't happen at all.

Reactions: myscrnnm

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
Let's predict Kuo's prediction in following months:
1. 2018 iPhone X will likely have the same design but enhanced hardware
2. 2018 iPhone X will improve the Face ID accuracy and wider sight angle
3. 2018 iPhone X will have new color choose
4. iPad with Face ID won't have the notch
5. 2018 iPhone X will have improved battery life
6. 2018 iPhone X sale will not as good as 2017
Can you just stop being boring? :rolleyes:

Allbridge

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2016
new york city
I didn't buy the X thinking that (after 1.5 years of Plus owning) I am going to hold off for the X Plus. I Love the Plus but I am using my iPhone less and less and really liked how the X felt in hand, not just in size but the weight felt good old iPhone 4 days (which is still my favorite iPhone of all time). The only thing holding me at this point would be FaceID 2.0 and potentially the adittion of the Gold colour back.. (the new "gold" on the 8 sucks though). Decisions, decisions

SashJ

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2017
Let's predict Kuo's prediction in following months:
1. 2018 iPhone X will likely have the same design but enhanced hardware
2. 2018 iPhone X will improve the Face ID accuracy and wider sight angle
3. 2018 iPhone X will have new color choose
4. iPad with Face ID won't have the notch
5. 2018 iPhone X will have improved battery life
6. 2018 iPhone X sale will not as good as 2017
Can you just stop being boring? :rolleyes:

I dont get this comment. You could apply this to every single company and it would be just as accurate.

Reactions: yunzan

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I can only imagine what will be in next year’s iPhone

My guess: A confirmation for purchase at about $1299 to cover Apple's innovation of "more complex metal frames" plus new aniemoji.;)

And hopefully they will kick the camera and/or battery out to an add-on accessory item so they can make it "thinner & lighter"... like everyone wants so badly.:rolleyes:

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
I dont get this comment. You could apply this to every single company and it would be just as accurate.

True, so that's the feeling when I see most of Kuo's predictions - including this "2018 iPhones Will Have 'More Complex' Metal Frames"

Reactions: rGiskard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.