Ming-Chi Kuo: 2018 iPhones Will Have 'More Complex' Metal Frames for Improved Cellular Signal Transmission

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the iPhone X launched just three days ago, we're already starting to hear rumors about what to expect from next year's models.

[​IMG]

Specifically, oft-reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said he believes iPhones released in 2018 will feature a "more complex" metal frame design and casing assembly for the purpose of improving data transmission quality.

An excerpt of Kuo's research note with KGI Securities, obtained by MacRumors:
    Kuo said Taiwanese suppliers Catcher Technology and Casetek have won orders from Apple for the new metal frames, including two models with stainless steel frames, which likely includes the iPhone X and so-called iPhone X Plus.

Kuo has previously said that Apple will likely expand Face ID to all iPhone models in 2018, with a complete abandonment of Touch ID. He also said 2018 iPhones are unlikely to gain a rear-facing TrueDepth camera system.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo: 2018 iPhones Will Have 'More Complex' Metal Frames for Improved Cellular Signal Transmission

2. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

me to x: "Well x, we've known each other for few days now......."
    x to me: "NO!!! Don't leave me!!"

3. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Would be nice to see the iPhone 9 incorporate some of the technology from the iPhone X like the enhanced battery and not cost $1,000.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

5. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I can only imagine what will be in next year’s iPhone.

In the meantime... I’m going to enjoy my X and can’t wait for Apple Pay Cash and iCloud iMessages to release. And HomePod. And AirPower.

Nice stuff to look forward to.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

7. Stiss macrumors 6502a

The X has been out two minutes and we're already reading into what the next model will feature.

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

I’m in for an X Plus. Current X is too small

9. decimortis macrumors 6502a

decimortis

Will the iPhone 9 become the new PowerBook G5? ;)

10. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

A plus version of the X would have a monster sized screen on it. That'd be cool to see.

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This article seem to suggest there is a problem with the cell reception and they are going to make an improvement.

12. Oldfash33 macrumors regular

Oldfash33

13. SashJ macrumors regular

Chances are their wont be an iPhone 9.

14. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

15. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

Do any of this guy's words actually come true lol we always have some "experts" who claim that the iPhone will have ..., or will be ... and etc but in the end 50% of the things they've said don't happen at all.

16. SashJ macrumors regular

The notch probably wont be gone for at least 3 years. Might be time for you to make the switch.

17. waigx macrumors member

waigx

Let's predict Kuo's prediction in following months:
    1. 2018 iPhone X will likely have the same design but enhanced hardware
    2. 2018 iPhone X will improve the Face ID accuracy and wider sight angle
    3. 2018 iPhone X will have new color choose
    4. iPad with Face ID won't have the notch
    5. 2018 iPhone X will have improved battery life
    6. 2018 iPhone X sale will not as good as 2017
    Can you just stop being boring? :rolleyes:

18. goshya macrumors member

goshya

I’d much rather have an iPhone X ‘minus’.

Formfactor of an iPhone SE without bezels for a comfortable one handed handling.

The iPhone X is a tad too long...

19. Allbridge macrumors newbie

Allbridge

I didn't buy the X thinking that (after 1.5 years of Plus owning) I am going to hold off for the X Plus. I Love the Plus but I am using my iPhone less and less and really liked how the X felt in hand, not just in size but the weight felt good old iPhone 4 days (which is still my favorite iPhone of all time). The only thing holding me at this point would be FaceID 2.0 and potentially the adittion of the Gold colour back.. (the new "gold" on the 8 sucks though). Decisions, decisions

20. sigma7 macrumors regular

sigma7

I'm ready for the iPhone Notch Plus.
    Notch will come in red e blue colors lol.

21. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Isn't this the same idiot that said supply of the iPhone X would be incredibly limited and most wouldn't get their phones until 2018?

Now this is the, "Forget I was totally wrong about the last guess I made and believe me again this time!"

22. Jbusick7944 macrumors regular

I agree the X feels a little small.
    The notch is a non-issue and FaceID is seamless.

But as for Ming? Is this the same Ming that said if you didn't order in 2 minutes you wouldn't get an X until 2018?

23. SashJ macrumors regular

I dont get this comment. You could apply this to every single company and it would be just as accurate.

24. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    My guess: A confirmation for purchase at about $1299 to cover Apple's innovation of "more complex metal frames" plus new aniemoji.;)

And hopefully they will kick the camera and/or battery out to an add-on accessory item so they can make it "thinner & lighter"... like everyone wants so badly.:rolleyes:

25. waigx macrumors member

waigx

True, so that's the feeling when I see most of Kuo's predictions - including this "2018 iPhones Will Have 'More Complex' Metal Frames"