Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Are you kidding? You are referencing to the FSD beta that is not available to the general public. The car in question did not have that version installed.
You said "AP in it’s current state cannot leave its lane". The current state of AP can. That argument goes flying out the window.

Now you're changing the argument to "AP version at the time of when the video was recorded" which is "not current" since it's an old version.

Regardless, AP with Nav on AP turned on actually self switches the lane for the driver without the user to intervene. This has been live since 2019, way before that clip was recorded. https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-more-seamless-navigate-autopilot

Example (@ 3m25s):

Either way, you're completely wrong. That car did have a version installed that can move off the lane and it's dangerous to the public for you to lie in order to put irrational fear into technology that could a million lives every year.

Nothing of what I say is going to change your mind (maybe you're a $TSLA short or work for legacy auto), which means this discussion is pretty much dead, so I'm going to end it here. See ya.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
They’ve been working on this car for far too long. I wonder if people even care anymore.

We don’t know any details on their research or what their goal is at this stage. Besides that, regular people don’t read up on Apple so he’s, those regular consumers will be interested for sure.

Reactions: Techwatcher

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
You said "AP in it’s current state cannot leave its lane". The current state of AP can. That argument goes flying out the window.

Now you're changing the argument to "AP version at the time of when the video was recorded" which is "not current" since it's an old version.

Regardless, AP with Nav on AP turned on actually self switches the lane for the driver without the user to intervene. This has been live since 2019, way before that clip was recorded. https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-more-seamless-navigate-autopilot

Example (@ 3m25s):

Either way, you're completely wrong. That car did have a version installed that can move off the lane and it's dangerous to the public for you to lie in order to put irrational fear into technology that could a million lives every year.

Nothing of what I say is going to change your mind (maybe you're a $TSLA short or work for legacy auto), which means this discussion is pretty much dead, so I'm going to end it here. See ya.
Are you kidding again?
The current version on my car cannot leave its lane. Only an unreleased closed beta release can.
Switching entire lanes is possible but it is currently not possible to drive over the lane markings on AP unless it’s a complete lane change. That functionality will come when the FSD Beta is released to the public.
currently 99.9 % of the cars on the road can’t do this.

you need to calm down. I realize you are obviously a diehard fan but claiming that “maybe you're a $TSLA short or work for legacy auto” just because I don’t agree with you is ridiculous.
Contrary to your believe I have actually been long TSLA since early 2019.

this is the exact kind of talk that makes people dislike Tesla drivers. Absolutely unnecessary.

Last edited:

MrTSolar

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
This is a Fake Video. AP in it’s current state cannot leave its lane, even for crash avoidance.
Very irresponsible of you to post something like this.
Tesla fanboys are really getting crazier by the day and I say that as a Tesla driver.
If this is a fake video, then a lot of different Tesla drivers all react the exact same way. Another vehicle gets about 2 feet away, the car snaps left, and then snaps back right almost as hard. I've seen hundreds of videos with the exact same maneuver in the same manner, so the odds of it being the computer avoiding the collision are, I'd say, good. Most human drivers that don't get sideswiped would slam on the brakes, move over a complete lane, or fishtail and spin out.

I had a truck cut me off the other day. I hit the brakes and moved to the edge of my lane. A week or two before that, I watched somebody try to merge into the side of a pickup truck. The truck dove off onto the shoulder, hard on the brakes, then came back into his lane behind the car that nearly hit him.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
If this is a fake video, then a lot of different Tesla drivers all react the exact same way. Another vehicle gets about 2 feet away, the car snaps left, and then snaps back right almost as hard. I've seen hundreds of videos with the exact same maneuver in the same manner, so the odds of it being the computer avoiding the collision are, I'd say, good. Most human drivers that don't get sideswiped would slam on the brakes, move over a complete lane, or fishtail and spin out.

I had a truck cut me off the other day. I hit the brakes and moved to the edge of my lane. A week or two before that, I watched somebody try to merge into the side of a pickup truck. The truck dove off onto the shoulder, hard on the brakes, then came back into his lane behind the car that nearly hit him.
Read the manual. It cannot leave its lane unless it’s a complete lane switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.