Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I literally typed “Apple GAN Charger” into Google and got the result from here at MacRumors. I didn’t think that “knowing what to type into the search field” was that much of a “skill” per se, but perhaps it is.
Again see my post above.

Did you read those links did you actually see 'GAN' mentioned? No you didn't you just looked up the charger on Goglel which I did I went to the macrumors article and the link within and that other article with a link that requires a subscription.

you googled searched but you didn't properly reference or research.

Klapper.cz

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2022
At 30 watts, I'm guessing this is aimed at phones and iPads, not at MacBooks. Still, USB-C seems likely.
30W is included with Macbook Air M1, so making the same 30W adapter smaller for all devices makes sense. But it still should be 45W for the Air to maximize it's charging potential.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
See my latest post.

nothing specific in that above link I posted that just before you did.
it's mentions someone else stated Apple confirmed, no actual confirmation directly from Apple.

Here you go, a teardown with actual pictures (guy who runs the website also has a Youtube channel with video of the teardown).

And those two are enhanced GaNFETs, which come from GaN Systems, withstand voltage is 650V.
This should be the first time Apple uses GaN chips in their chargers.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Again see my post above.

Did you read those links did you actually see 'GAN' mentioned? No you didn't you just looked up the charger on Goglel which I did I went to the macrumors article and the link within and that other article with a link that requires a subscription.

you googled searched but you didn't properly reference or research.
They all did, including one performed did a teardown that I thought was interesting. Anyway, as I’m not the one saying it’s NOT GaN, I’ve no more research to do. As you’re resistant to the facts, there’s really no data out there that will convince you anyway. :)

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002

Here you go, a teardown with actual pictures (guy who runs the website also has a Youtube channel with video of the teardown).
BUT, you see, Apple still didn’t tell me directly it’s GaN though! For all we know, the folks at chargerlab could have PLANTED those chips in there just for their teardown! To make it LOOK like it’s GaN when it can’t be because Apple didn’t say it was. Yeah, see? No proof at all /s :)

Reactions: jaytv111

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

thank you. This completely shows GAN.
They all did, including one performed did a teardown that I thought was interesting. Anyway, as I’m not the one saying it’s NOT GaN, I’ve no more research to do. As you’re resistant to the facts, there’s really no data out there that will convince you anyway. :)

no those links to Apples site says nothing about “GAN” in any case sensitivity. Search on apples product page. It’s not listed. I checked moments before you posted in reply in my post on previous page. Both articles said GAN stating Apple confirmed and point
ed to digitizes source statement yet nothing specifically stated GAN from an Apple source just a “mention as in reference aka ‘ apple says gan and pointed to source which didn’t say whom either‘ which is verbatim not a source. That was my boggle with the claim (not you, just the statement).

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
The design of the charger is so bland and uninspired, the absence of Jony Ive is truly felt.
I put little smile stickers on the sides of all of my chargers. They seem to work better after doing that.

• Love
Reactions: CarlJ

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
So apple maintains they removed chargers to save the planet (and not for profiting even more) but then release a new slightly different charger every year. Sure, we all believe they’re being honest -.-

• Disagree

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
So apple maintains they removed chargers to save the planet (and not for profiting even more) but then release a new slightly different charger every year. Sure, we all believe they’re being honest -.-
There’s no need to BUY a new charger every year. Do you throw out your Mac or iPhone every year and buy a new one? Buy a new machine when you actually need one, and then, if your old charger isn’t compatible, then get a new one.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just want Apple to release a charging solution that can charge my MBP, iPad Pro, iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods Pro all at the same time. I don't care if it's a little brick, I want it for travel and I haven't seen a product that can do it all effectively in one package. Basically need five USB-C ports on a small brick that has a three foot wall cord, along with some mini cables for each device. Would need 100W for MBP, 45W for iPad Pro, 30W for iPhone, plus however much you need for fast charging Apple Watch and charging up AirPods Pro. So maybe around a 200W USB-C charger?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
no those links to Apples site says nothing about “GAN” in any case sensitivity. Search on apples product page. It’s not listed. I checked moments before you posted in reply in my post on previous page. Both articles said GAN stating Apple confirmed and point
For those curious about whether or not the 16” MBP charger was GaN, if they’d ever done a search for “Apple GAN charger” between November of last year and today, they’d have found the chargerlab link (same as I found earlier today). Not only that, there’s a good semiengineering link as well, all of which 100% agree with the Verge article (and the other articles you’ll find on the first page of results) stating the same. I wouldn’t even call “first page results” googling “research”.

Might have been late finding out, but at least now you know. :)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I just want Apple to release a charging solution that can charge my MBP, iPad Pro, iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods Pro all at the same time. I don't care if it's a little brick, I want it for travel and I haven't seen a product that can do it all effectively in one package. Basically need five USB-C ports on a small brick that has a three foot wall cord, along with some mini cables for each device. Would need 100W for MBP, 45W for iPad Pro, 30W for iPhone, plus however much you need for fast charging Apple Watch and charging up AirPods Pro. So maybe around a 200W USB-C charger?
With the latest updates to the PD standard, up to 240W is possible, but getting all of that in a smallish package that won’t overheat yet still provide 200W of power distributed to connected devices may take a little while to solve. I doubt Apple would release anything like that, though. That’s what the MFi program’s for.

Klapper.cz

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2022
Don

Can't see Apple releasing product like this.
I'd just start with something like this:
and add one Nano II 65W/45W for backup or when you just want something light for walking around to be sure:

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
You can pick up this charger: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hyperjuice-245w-usb-c-battery-pack-gan-charger#/

Or this one: https://satechi.net/products/165w-usb-c-4-port-pd-gan-charger

The Hyperjuice provides 245 watts of power and up to 235 when split between the 4 ports, the Satechi 165 watts. Some people don’t like Hyper as a company, as evidenced by them promising to ship early units in December/January for later preorders, and now it’s March and they’re now preparing to ship. And the Satechi is out of stock with no sign of shipping soon either.

The big drawback to those is that they are limited to 100 watts to one port, since they are PD 3.0 and not 3.1. If you want 140 watts from one port you could be waiting a while for PD 3.1 chargers.

As for Apple, they don’t seem to be on the same page with multi USB chargers. There’s no sign of them preparing a new charger with multi USB ports. Maybe they don’t think they can do better than the above chargers.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
As for Apple, they don’t seem to be on the same page with multi USB chargers. There’s no sign of them preparing a new charger with multi USB ports. Maybe they don’t think they can do better than the above chargers.
I think it’s more that they have the MFi program and Apple limiting what they make creates a wide open field for their licensees.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I think it’s more that they have the MFi program and Apple limiting what they make creates a wide open field for their licensees.
I don’t think there’s MFi USB-C power supplies. Lightning cables, yes, MagSafe yes, but not power bricks.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
definition:

Neither Apple‘s 140W,

Nor the 96W charges on their product page states either is a GAN charger.

edit:

links to

links to

without a subscription to the final link not once is there a proper confirmation by Apple in print stating either is a GAN charger just a statement that 1 source confirmed yet said source is not linked to show from the horses mouth. I have issue with this type of reporting.

Apple confirmed that this is a GaN changer when contacted by the Verge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.