Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 13 will feature low earth orbit (LEO) satellite communication connectivity to allow users to make calls and send messages in areas without 4G or 5G coverage, according to the reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone-13-Dummy-Thumbnail-2.jpg

In a note to investors, seen by MacRumors, Kuo explained that the iPhone 13 lineup will feature hardware that is able to connect to LEO satellites. If enabled with the relevant software features, this could allow iPhone 13 users to make calls and send messages without the need for a 4G or 5G cellular connection.

The iPhone 13 reportedly features a customized Qualcomm X60 baseband chip that supports satellite communications. Other smartphone brands are apparently currently waiting until 2022 to adopt the X65 baseband chip necessary to implement satellite communications functions.

SpaceX's Starlink is a purveyor of LEO internet connectivity that some readers may already be familiar with, but the LEO satellite communication service provider that is "most likely to cooperate with Apple in terms of technology and service coverage" is said to be Globalstar. Qualcomm has purportedly been working with Globalstar to support the n53 band in future X65 baseband chips.

Kuo explained that the "simplest scenario" for providing LEO connectivity to users is if individual network operators work with Globalstar. This means that customers of a partner network operator could use Globalstar's satellite communication service on the iPhone 13 directly through their network operator with no additional contracts or payments required.

Kuo added that LEO satellite communications is a technology comparable to mmWave 5G in terms of its impact on the network industry and that Apple may leverage both technologies. Kuo says that Apple is "optimistic" about the trend of satellite communications and set up a specific team for research and development of technologies related to it "some time" ago.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported on the existence of this team in 2019, explaining that Apple was looking into new ways to beam data like internet connectivity directly to iPhones and other devices. Apple CEO Tim Cook reportedly made the project a company priority, with the main aim to beam data directly to a user's iPhone without reliance on wireless carriers and network coverage.

In 2017, Apple hired two Google executives with satellite expertise, who are believed to have been leading the team dedicated to satellites and related wireless technologies.

The company is believed to have plans to bring LEO satellite communications to more devices in the future to "provide innovative experiences." These may include Apple's mixed reality head-mounted display device, electric vehicle, and other IoT accessories, according to Kuo.

Article Link: Kuo: iPhone 13 to Feature LEO Satellite Communications to Make Calls and Texts Without Cellular Coverage

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Does the user have to pay for this access or is that service provided (paid for) by Apple and Globalatar

No way Apple and Globalstar would give free access outside of maybe 911 (or an S.O.S. / Emergency Locator Beacon if that functionality is possible).

I am sure to actually use the service normally one would need to be a Globalstar customer with a service plan.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Instant-buy for me if it has this. I still don't have cell service at my house or really anywhere that I ride my motorcycle around my area and into Maine. I'm paying for an InReach and would continue to do so but to have this work some times would be awesome.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I call total BS on this guess/prediction. LEOs are in a very low orbit and will only be in range for earth communications at any given point for a few minutes each pass, so perhaps 3 to 5 minutes if you are lucky. It would require a swarm of LEOs and probably a much bigger antenna, as in much bigger than the iPhone itself. I'm an Extra Class licensed amateur radio operator (ham) who has monitored several LEOs as they pass by, including the International Space Station. This simply cannot be done with an iPhone and the current state of technology built into them. Even with the proper equipment, it requires a lot of knowledge and a well placed antenna. Total bleeping BS!!! There is a reason we use GEOs (geostationary satellites at 36,000 km altitude). You have to get that far away to keep the satellite over a specific location on earth. A LEO orbits the earth at less than 1,000 km, and makes another complete orbit about every 1.5 hours (90 minutes). No way this will work today....

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Globalstar uses a constellation of LEO satellites along with ground-based gateways (all using CDMA) so the iPhone would not need the power to send/receive to GEO. It might not even need to reach LEO if it can connect to a terrestrial gateway which would then do the connection to/from LEO.

As for pricing, for existing GS-compatible phones looks like it starts at USD17 a month.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Call me a skeptic. Yeah. There isn't, as others have said, enough antenna to pull that off. So not thinking this is possible. What chip would they have to use to pull that off, and what would the power cost be.

Although the Iridium pager was small, and though spotty, seemed to work for many, although do they still offer one? But a bad analogy as it was sipping bandwidth, not gulping it like a phone would.

I'd rather get that Garmin device, the inReach Mini. I like toys...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I call total BS on this guess/prediction. LEOs are in a very low orbit and will only be in range for earth communications at any given point for a few minutes each pass, so perhaps 3 to 5 minutes if you are lucky. It would require a swarm of LEOs and probably a much bigger antenna, as in much bigger than the iPhone itself. I'm an Extra Class licensed amateur radio operator (ham) who has monitored several LEOs as they pass by, including the International Space Station. This simply cannot be done with an iPhone and the current state of technology built into them. Even with the proper equipment, it requires a lot of knowledge and a well placed antenna. Total bleeping BS!!! There is a reason we use GEOs (geostationary satellites at 36,000 km altitude). You have to get that far away to keep the satellite over a specific location on earth. A LEO orbits the earth at less than 1,000 km, and makes another complete orbit about every 1.5 hours (90 minutes). No way this will work today....
Ever heard of a mesh network/roaming/hoping onto another device?
Pretty sure you do.....but, I also have serious doubt this will work, really serious doubts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.