Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
I'm "still" on a WiFi 6 router. Not the fancy 6E one. Just a boring standard 6.

I honestly don't know how I could push my router any further and I don't see how a 6E router would help me.
It is future tech being deployed at the time you bought it so there are many routers for future tech devices.

LinkSys' WRT54G was a G router with more throughput than DSL could feed into it. Years later it got saturated.

Reactions: james2538

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I won't be getting the Vision Pro so I can skip this update. In the meantime they downgraded the WiFi chips in HomePods, forcing upgrades again I assume?

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
I'm "still" on a WiFi 6 router. Not the fancy 6E one. Just a boring standard 6.

I honestly don't know how I could push my router any further and I don't see how a 6E router would help me.
This seems to be hinting that it may be more useful for point to point connections similar to Airdrop, rather than going through a router.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Well as I understand it there need to be quite some space between the two lenses in order for a VR (spatial) camera to work. Look at all the VR cameras that already exists. I think the iPhone lenses are too close to each other to create a proper 3D effect.
That is one of many questions for me on Vision Pro and whether I can justify it beyond the next tech toy in my devices. I had not thought about how far the lenses need to do stereo pairs but I think that is likely true. I have situations I would like to take pictures but sure in field as geologist but not sure I would take the vision pro out there.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Why should those of us who will not get the headset have to pay for a chip in an iPhone that we will ever use?

Why should those of us who don't use the bathroom on the plane pay for access to it?

The iPhone is a bundle of features.

Different iPhone models are slightly different bundles.

If you don't like any of the bundles, no one is forcing you to buy one.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
WiFi 7?

I thought most people were on 5 and 6 still? lol. 6E is only a small step up from 6.

It's good that they are preparing for future tech but seems a bit far off.

EDIT: i should read the article properly first lol. It's not until iPhone 16 so that means Pro/Max iPhones next year will get WiFi 7 and the rest will get it in 2025.

Seems reasonable.
Well for me still using my ole Airport Extreme attached to my Comcast cable modem (my own not theirs) so I do not get 6 either with my iPhone or gen 6 iPad Pro. But it has been fast enough so have not worried. I suppose eventually there will be needs for it when my devices function better but for now I am happy

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Wow! It makes me wonder if this will allow taking 3D images like the Apple Vision Pro.
Not sure if you read the discussion just before your post @TheYayAreaLiving 🎗️ I often miss things when the thread gets long. Anyway they talk about the spacing needed to take stero pairs ane that the close spacing of iPhones and such might not be far enough apart. I would love to see it work as I do not really want to take a 4K (with taxes and lenses) plus Vision Pro out in rugged field where I would love to take geology stereo pairs (one of my justifications for getting a Vision Pro for working with said images. Time will tell one advantage of having to wait til end of 2024 (or beyond) before I buy one. I can learn if this new tech can be actually useful or just a fun toy LOL

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
I think future iPhones (and perhaps even iPads) will be able to take spatial photos and videos for Vision. They showed a user taking them with Vision Pro but I’ll bet that won’t be the only way.
I wouldn’t be so sure: to achieve stereoscopy and immersive audio you need at least two mics and two cameras at the same width of eyes and ears. Perhaps Apple will find a way to simulate it with AI but it would very likely be different than a video shot with the Vision.
Moreover, it is one of the features that Apple will keep exclusive to the product to attract users. They sell already iPhone very well.

And we’ve learnt how Apple doesn’t care whether it is feasible or not… does the calculator on an iPad ring any bell? :D

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
But will it have Touch ID?

Clueless Cook knows that Touch ID is loved on Macs. He knows that many iPhone SE users buy it largely for Touch ID. Yet being as dense as he is, he’s OK with bringing so many new features to the iPhone 15 but not Touch ID.
faceID is vastly superior to TouchID. Not sure why anyone would want it back. I have never once since iPhone X and every model since had an issue being recognized. It just works. Except when we started wearing masks which has been fixed and is done anyway.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
It would be wild if you could pull out your iphone and do whatever “on the phone” except there’s nothing actually on the screen in real life… it does all the processing but the display is entirely generated by the Vision Pro

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Wifi 7!! I don’t even have 6e yet😲

Well, I still see a lot of wifi stuff that is only capable of 802.11n or 802.11ac. Especially a lot of the IoT equipment doesn't support 802.11ac/802.11ax and/or 5GHz. Even the current HomePod's don't use 802.11ax for crying out loud.😠

Wifi7 probably will do good though for crowded wifi space, 75% of the bandwidth will be used for retransmission. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.