Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Well as I understand it there need to be quite some space between the two lenses in order for a VR (spatial) camera to work. Look at all the VR cameras that already exists. I think the iPhone lenses are too close to each other to create a proper 3D effect.
You can get the same effect with different cameras that are close together but have a very different depth of field. If you throw in LIDAR, you can likely get away with only one camera.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
You can get the same effect with different cameras that are close together but have a very different depth of field. If you throw in LIDAR, you can likely get away with only one camera.
Curious how will the LIDAR help this would be cool if so then I can use my iphone to take pictures and Vision Pro for what I want to do with the geology outcrops and such I envision doing stereo for.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
faceID is vastly superior to TouchID. Not sure why anyone would want it back. I have never once since iPhone X and every model since had an issue being recognized. It just works. Except when we started wearing masks which has been fixed and is done anyway.
Many people who are still concerned about their health, and the health of others, still wear masks. It's possible to include both Touch ID and Face ID in the same device and give users a choice. Let's quit making excuses for Tim Cook's mediocrity.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Many people who are still concerned about their health, and the health of others, still wear masks. It's possible to include both Touch ID and Face ID in the same device and give users a choice. Let's quit making excuses for Tim Cook's mediocrity.
It’s possible but it’s an unnecessary complication to an already expensive device for a very small segment of the population.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Apple never adopts new wifi standards. They always wait 2-4 years.

It’s been 3 years since 6E went mainstream and we still don’t have a 6E iPhone. I think it could be another 3 iPhones until we see 7.

I say this entire report stinks.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
faceID is vastly superior to TouchID. Not sure why anyone would want it back. I have never once since iPhone X and every model since had an issue being recognized. It just works. Except when we started wearing masks which has been fixed and is done anyway.
I was a big Touch ID fan, until I changed to Face ID.
now I would never use it again

Reactions: PantherKang

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023

It’s been 3 years since 6E went mainstream and we still don’t have a 6E iPhone. I think it could be another 3 iPhones until we see 7.

I say this entire report stinks.
They're likely waiting for the tech to improve or material cost to go down.

IIRC AMOLED displays came out as early as 2008(?) but it took Apple nearly a decade to adopt it.

I have yet to hear of any recall for the 1st iPhone X over AMOLED burn-in.

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
I think future iPhones (and perhaps even iPads) will be able to take spatial photos and videos for Vision. They showed a user taking them with Vision Pro but I’ll bet that won’t be the only way.
You will need two iPhones and a Belkin accessory to join them together.

urmaster

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2016
They're likely waiting for the tech to improve or material cost to go down.

IIRC AMOLED displays came out as early as 2008(?) but it took Apple nearly a decade to adopt it.

I have yet to hear of any recall for the 1st iPhone X over AMOLED burn-in.
We’ve got a bunch of iPhones used for testing at work and the OLED ones have the homscreen icons burned in. It’s not normal usage mind; we tend to have screen lock times either very generous or disabled.

Reactions: Longplays

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
We’ve got a bunch of iPhones used for testing at work and the OLED ones have the homscreen icons burned in. It’s not normal usage mind; we tend to have screen lock times either very generous or disabled.
I hope anyone seeing this has a reading comprehension level higher than a hamster.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I think future iPhones (and perhaps even iPads) will be able to take spatial photos and videos for Vision. They showed a user taking them with Vision Pro but I’ll bet that won’t be the only way.
To produce spatial photos on an iPhone, you’d need to add a camera module at the bottom of the phone, because you need as much distance between cameras as you can get. Doing this with an iPad would be even better, as there would be more space between cameras, allowing for more of a dimensional image.

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
So I guess this effectively just added £1000+ to the cost of the Vision Pro, though I suppose prospective buyers would also likely be annual iPhone upgraders anyway.
Well, those trillions don't grow on trees.
Thinking of it, to secure another trillion they'd need $1000 per capita inside a 1b buyer base. That's why they prioritize value enhancers over popular expectations such as better battery time or more affordable phones. Pro is for profit, same for Max and Ultra.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
The display on my X is doing fine after five and a half years.
This is in contrast of the 2015 Google Nexus 6P I got and experienced burn-in within 12 months.

It was cheap for a reason and those also include bad battery, boot loops and rather short software support.

And yet Apple's dumb for the Apple tax. 🤷‍♂️

Go.

Figure.

• Love

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

They used to. MacBook Pros got the draft versions of 802.11n way back when. They were reasonably quick about 802.11ac adoption as well. Once they killed off the Airport line they just stopped caring.

The iPhone should have gotten 6E last year. It's guaranteed to get it this year after the iPad Pro/MBP updates got it.

I also think it'll be iPhone 17 before we see WiFi 7. The standard hasn't even been finalized yet, not due until early 2024. Then you've got to wait for chips to adopt the final standard. Apple may just want to wait until they release their own combined 5G/WiFi chip.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe

FaceID can be very handy and quick, but its speed causes problems too when you don't have a case or a case that doesn't cover the front sensor.

I've had quite some moments where faceID promptly unlocked my iPhone when I had no intention to unlock it. On many occasions I just wanted to look at the lock-screen for a notification or a widget, but then it unlocks too. This caused me to press the lock button so often that it sometimes re-activates the screen again and faceID too leaving the phone unlocked again. Every now and then it happens that the phone slides in my pocket in an unlocked state - making calls, deleting stuff and so on. Yes, it should not happen, but it does. This never happend on my previous iPhone with touchID. So many moments where the "slide-to-unlock" was even better.

Also... it is a bit of a security issue: if you get a text message it normally can't be read on the lock screen, but when the phone is on the desk where you sit and you look barely a second second in its direction and it unlocks and shows the message immediately. Not something anyone wants at work for example. I had to disable this in the settings.

It would be good that faceID gets an adjustable delay before it activates.

Reactions: ThomasJL

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Curious how will the LIDAR help this would be cool if so then I can use my iphone to take pictures and Vision Pro for what I want to do with the geology outcrops and such I envision doing stereo for.
LiDAR gives you range data for each point on the image. It might not be down to the pixel level, but it is a Z map. If you take several pictures of the same object from different angles and you know where the camera is for each of the images, you can even build a decent 3d model of the object.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.