Kuo: Largan to Ship 'High-End' Camera Lenses for 'iPhone 12' From Mid-July

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming "iPhone 12" will feature "high-end" lens arrays in the rear camera to improve image quality, according to respected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a new research note seen by MacRumors, Kuo says Largan will supply the premium camera lenses to Apple for the phones from mid-July, although Apple has received the same components slightly earlier in the last couple of years.

Production has reportedly been delayed by four to six weeks in the second half of this year, which will see peak lens shipments fall between September and November, compared to August-October in the past.

Kuo doesn't mention the reason for the delay in his note, but the global health crisis is likely to have had an impact. Apple is still expected to announce the iPhones in September, but rumors have claimed that some iPhone models might not launch until October or November.

Kuo's latest note doesn't specify what kind of "high end" lens will be used in the iPhone 12, but in a previous note he claimed that the 6.7-inch iPhone model will feature multiple rear camera improvements, including larger sensors that capture more light for better image quality.

Apple is expected to launch high-end 6.7 and 6.1-inch iPhones with triple-lens cameras, and lower-end 5.4 and 6.1-inch iPhones with dual-lens cameras. Previously, Kuo has said he expects the 6.1 and 5.4-inch iPhones to go into mass production in September, while mass production on the larger 6.7-inch ‌iPhone‌ will be delayed until October because of its more complicated design.

Article Link: Kuo: Largan to Ship 'High-End' Camera Lenses for 'iPhone 12' From Mid-July

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: chris4565

dz5b609

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2019
Revolutionary. I thought they’d include low end camera lenses
If the rumors are correct though this will make all the now existing mobile phone camera sensors look like low-end, they're gonna put some massive sensors in them and at the end of the day the camera sensors have very little room for improvement except increasing the actual size of the sensor because generally bigger sensor = better quality.

ksec

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Interesting, So Apple will have its two years cadence with lens as well instead of whole camera module.

So Sensor improvement every two years, and Lens improvement in between?

To be honest I thought the Camera in iPhone 11 is already pretty damn good. The only thing is lacking is higher rate optical Zoom. Doesn't need to ridiculous Samsung style but at least something higher.

Reactions: ThaRuler

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I agree that zooming is where phone cameras need improvement. Optical zoom usually requires physical depth, which the super-thin iPhones don’t have. So far, digital zoom has been pretty underwhelming. It will be interesting to see if and how Apple can innovate in that area.

M3gatron

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
If the rumors are correct though this will make all the now existing mobile phone camera sensors look like low-end, they're gonna put some massive sensors in them and at the end of the day the camera sensors have very little room for improvement except increasing the actual size of the sensor because generally bigger sensor = better quality.
Yeah sure they will, especially in zoom noo?
Huawei's 1/1.28" sensor surely will be a toy in comparison.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I agree that zooming is where phone cameras need improvement. Optical zoom usually requires physical depth, which the super-thin iPhones don’t have. So far, digital zoom has been pretty underwhelming. It will be interesting to see if and how Apple can innovate in that area.
Which they say the pros this year will get 25-30x digital and 3x optical. With periscope coming in 2022

Zorori

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2017
If digital zoom is improved I could live without the lens on the 12. I'd prefer that they ditch the wide-angle instead though!

yurc

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Interesting. Currently many praised unsung hero Sony Xperia Mk II because it was met the hype as expected. Taking focus burst with smartphone is real deal.

Let’s see how it stacks once Apple release this new iPhone 12.

Reactions: Theyayarealivin

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
I can't wait. Photography is my life. And for the last five or so years my camera of choice is the one that's always with me, my iPhone.

Ocean Beach, San Francisco:
Dog at Ocean Beach BW.jpg

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Never heard of Largan. Is this a brand that mostly camera enthusiasts would know? How would they compare to other famous...quality brands?

Last edited:

Tozovac

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2014
Revolutionary. I thought they’d include low end camera lenses
Yeah. Thank God. My iPhone 8's potato cam photos look soooooooooooooooo bad.

But seriously, even though it's always great to see *real* innovations like this vs. things like the iOS7 unnecessary plastic surgery "improvement," I'd love to know the % of users who will know to find and use the upgraded functionality while paying for this phone's upgraded hardware. Not a month goes by that I don't introduce my fiance, her father, or either of our mothers to something "new" to them on their iPhone that they had no idea about since Apple "hides" so many features/functions in plain sight, discovered by random or by hearing about it from others or stumbling upon it online.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Yeah. Thank God. My iPhone 8's potato cam photos look soooooooooooooooo bad.

But seriously, even though it's always great to see *real* innovations like this vs. things like the iOS7 unnecessary plastic surgery "improvement," I'd love to know the % of users who will know to find and use the upgraded functionality while paying for this phone's upgraded hardware. Not a month goes by that I don't introduce my fiance, her father, or either of our mothers to something "new" to them on their iPhone that they had no idea about since Apple "hides" so many features/functions in plain sight, discovered by random or by hearing about it from others or stumbling upon it online.
tell me about it. No one I know is even aware of the multi tasking and all the swipe gestures on their iPads. The other day I was on safari and swiped left to answer an iMessage. Minds were blown 😅 probably also one of the reasons 3D Touch was removed. No one knew it was a thing

Reactions: Sasparilla

ericwn

macrumors 601
Apr 24, 2016
If digital zoom is improved I could live without the lens on the 12. I'd prefer that they ditch the wide-angle instead though!
Digital zoom is usually just a crop of the image. I’d rather keep the wide angle forever.

Never heard of Largan. Is this a brand that mostly camera enthusiasts would know? How would they compare to other famous brands?
Nice image!

tell me about it. No one I know is even aware of the multi tasking and all the swipe gestures on their iPads. The other day I was on safari and swiped left to answer an iMessage. Minds were blown probably also one of the reasons 3D Touch was removed. No one knew it was a thing
I can relate. It’s amazing how lazy a lot of users have become that they cannot even check out the Tipps app that would show how they can use the latest iOS features- and free at that!

Reactions: dz5b609

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
We pretty much hit the asymptotic curve for iPhone lens hardware a while back. Most all notable image improvements have come via software for several generations now. I think calling tiny plastic lens elements "high-end" is hyperbole.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Periscope zooms, which were on some compact cameras decades ago, allow zooming without depth. They are already on a couple of phones.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Unless some other current phone has flat edges a space gray version was definitely in one of the WWDC videos. I forget which one but you can see it on the desk of the guy talking.

Last edited:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
As a travel photographer who finds myself using the iphone pro more & more while traveling...word of camera improvements in the next iphone always get me excited.

Reactions: SantaFeNM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.