Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's first entry-level Mac to feature mini-LED display technology will be a new MacBook Air due to launch next year, according to TFI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Flat-MacBook-Air-Feature-1.jpg

From his latest investors note, obtained by MacRumors:
We expect that the new MacBook Air will adopt a mini LED in 2022, increasing MacBook's mini LED adoption rate. In contrast, only high-end iPad models will use mini LED displays, and the overall growth momentum may be lower than that of MacBooks.
The 2022 MacBook Air will also feature Apple Silicon, according to Kuo. The analyst believes that Apple will be able to offset the increased cost of using mini-LED panels in its Macs precisely because the cost of ‌Apple Silicon‌ chips is significantly lower than that of Intel processors.

Kuo said last year that he believes a mini-LED MacBook Air is due to arrive in 2022, and also said he expected Apple to release two redesigned MacBook Pro models, both equipped with mini-LED displays, in the second half of this year. In today's note, Kuo underlined how much suppliers can expect to benefit from Apple's wider adoption of mini-LED as a result.
We expect the new MacBook Pro will boost the shipment of mini LED displays in 2H21 because the new MacBook Pro will equip with mini LED displays, and MacBook's mini LED display is less challenging to produce than the iPad. We forecast that mini LED display shipments in 2021 and 2022 to be 10 million and 20–30 million, respectively.
In addition to Apple silicon and Mini-LED displays, Kuo expects the new MacBook Pro designs to feature a flat-edged top and bottom, an HDMI port and SD card reader, classic MagSafe charging with a magnetic power cable, and physical function keys instead of the Touch Bar. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has corroborated many of these details, and he was first to report that an SD card reader is returning.

Today's note from Kuo also said that Apple's first mini-LED 12.9-inch iPad Pro will enter mass production in the second half of April, and that the iPad Air would adopt OLED displays in 2022, positioning mini-LED as a display technology exclusive to iPad Pro devices in the company's tablet lineup.

Article Link: Kuo: MacBook Air With Mini-LED Display Still on Track for 2022 Launch

Last edited:

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
Apple really should make it habit to update EVERY Mac model YEARLY, just like back in the Steve Jobs days. It's ridiculous that we are now consistently waiting a couple of years for Mac updates for the past ~5-6 years. Just look at any Mac model and the slow pace is stupid. 16" MacBook Pro? Last update was in 2019. iMac? It's been around a year now. Mac Pro? 2019 again. And now MacBook Air is gonna be 2 years away from an update, not to mention it was so neglected in the 2016-18 era.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It's just a shame they decided not to proceed with the 15" MBA, the 13.3" display size is looking a bit archaic (like the iPhone 5s in 2014) as the wider industry shifts towards putting larger 14" screens into 13" class chassis. You could almost fit a 15.0" display into the footprint of the old MacBook Air, which hardly has a reputation for being bulky or unwieldy.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
If this site stopped reporting MCK briefing notes, the number of posts would halve.

He has about a 25% hit rate, mainly because he seems to report things that are obvious or add to previous rumours, never seems to get called out for being wrong unlike Gurman and others; while tweeters like l0vetodream are treated with a bit of disdain. I really have no idea why his reports are treated as if they are leaks from Tim Cook's office.

ian87w

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apple really should make it habit to update EVERY Mac model YEARLY, just like back in the Steve Jobs days. It's ridiculous that we are now consistently waiting a couple of years for Mac updates for the past ~5-6 years. Just look at any Mac model and the slow pace is stupid. 16" MacBook Pro? Last update was in 2019. iMac? It's been around a year now. Mac Pro? 2019 again. And now MacBook Air is gonna be 2 years away from an update, not to mention it was so neglected in the 2016-18 era.
You have to understand that there's the intel factor as well. Intel consistently failed to deliver their own roadmap in a timely fashion, and when they did, the delta improvements are not that significant. I cannot blame Apple to not refresh their lineup regularly.

I believe with Apple silicon, we would see a more consistent refreshes in the future since now Apple themselves know what kind of chips they're getting, since it's their own.

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
You have to understand that there's the intel factor as well. Intel consistently failed to deliver their own roadmap in a timely fashion, and when they did, the delta improvements are not that significant. I cannot blame Apple to not refresh their lineup regularly.

I believe with Apple silicon, we would see a more consistent refreshes in the future since now Apple themselves know what kind of chips they're getting, since it's their own.
They are probably going to get us into updating laptops every two or three years. Imagine ten years ago if someone said you'll get a new £/$1000 Phone, £/$1000 tablet and £/$400 watch every two or three years.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Intel was a factor, but AS doesn't guarantee regular yearly iPhone like refreshes. The iPad Pro lineup might be a better example, which usually gets refreshed at slightly over 12, but less than 18 month intervals (meaning there will be the odd year like 2019 where you won't see anything).

Reactions: AmazeSE and LFC2020

InGen

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2020
Too many leaks that mean nothing. I just want a timeline for upgraded Hardware. I’ll decide when I see it, whether it fits my need to upgrade. Other than that, this 'business' for clicks just wears me out.
Completely agree and I think the problem is there's no accountability. Whenever a leaker loses his track record for accuracy by making claims that end up being false, the onus is on Macrumors and other to no longer report on their claims until they can once again prove themselves with an accurate track record. New leaks spat out every week only to be forgotten a week later when the same person 'leaks' a new contradicting claim. It's all so tiresome.

asiga

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
This should really need to be a 15inch. We want big displays but lighter than the MacBook Pro (the MBP is great if you really need it, but there are plenty of scenarios in which you want a big display that you can carry with you without noticing its weight... and yes, the MBP has been made lighter with the years, but it's still heavy if you want extreme mobility).

And I don't care if a 15inch MBA would be prone to bending, not rigid enough, looks like plastic,... whatever... all I want is a big display light as paper, with NO fans, and running MacOS.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Here’s hoping for more pleasant PWM dimming than on the iPhone 12.

I can tolerate it on a phone, but on a big screen where there’s more eye movement, it would bother me enough to return the device.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Here’s hoping for more pleasant PWM dimming than on the iPhone 12.

I can tolerate it on a phone, but on a big screen where there’s more eye movement, it would bother me enough to return the device.
FWIW MacBook Pros have used PWM dimming for years, if you can get on with a current MBP display, hopefully the mini LED backlighting won't change that (if PWM is even still employed).

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
This should really need to be a 15inch. We want big displays but lighter than the MacBook Pro (the MBP is great if you really need it, but there are plenty of scenarios in which you want a big display that you can carry with you without noticing its weight... and yes, the MBP has been made lighter with the years, but it's still heavy if you want extreme mobility).

And I don't care if a 15inch MBA would be prone to bending, not rigid enough, looks like plastic,... whatever... all I want is a big display light as paper, with NO fans, and running MacOS.
What exactly is "extreme mobility?" XD

Weight isn't an issue for those who would rather have a pro laptop rather than a wafer-thin pastiche of one. Capability matters more than design.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015

Really, Apple skipped numerous Intel Chip updates. The only machines that could not realistically be upgraded every year was the Mac Pro.

IllinoisCorn

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2021
All true, but think of it this way--perhaps this is just a slowdown before the deluge of M series Mac's?

One thing is for sure--if there are no yearly updates, Apple can no longer blame Intel.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
What exactly is "extreme mobility?" XD

Weight isn't an issue for those who would rather have a pro laptop rather than a wafer-thin pastiche of one. Capability matters more than design.

I don't care so much about the weight than the cost. I still use a 2013 MBP. It is powerful enough for me and the M1 in the current Air would be all I need. But I like a bigger display but doesn't need to be a Pro machine that can be used for 4K video editing. Just Word, Browser, Zotero and Mail.

Queru

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2019
Same here - all the updates and stuff are cool, but I would really love to see 15 inch MBA. I would buy one definitely. If Apple plans to shrink MBA around 13,3 inch screen to give it modern bezel less treatment then it’s fine but please give us the 15 inch option as well.

Like others I want a fan less, bezel less apple silicon MBA with 15 inch display, preferably with miniLED.

Apple could keep differentiation factor with display sizes - 14 and 16 inch for MBP and 13 and 15 for MBA.

roncron

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Right? As opposed to what? Going back to using Intel silicon?

"The laptop will also feature the Apple logo on the upper lid, according to Kuo"

How clever to take something out of context so you can mock it.

The context was: the cost reduction from using Apple silicon instead of Intel allows Apple to use the more expensive micro LED displays.

Stick to acting, Sir Anthony.

• Haha
Reactions: BeefCake 15
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.