Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next-generation version of the iPhone SE won't appear until the first half of 2022, according to a new research note from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iphonesefront.jpg

Early rumors had indicated that a third-generation iPhone SE could appear in the first half of 2021, but later rumors suggested it wouldn't appear until at least the second half of the year if not early in 2022. There have been rumors of a larger "iPhone SE Plus" version and possible upgrades like a full-front display with a Touch ID power button rather than a Home button, but Kuo's latest note suggests the new model won't include many obvious changes.

According to Kuo, the new iPhone SE will be very similar to the existing model, with the biggest changes being 5G support and an upgraded processor.
Apple will release the new iPhone SE model in 1H22. The exterior design and most specifications are similar to the existing 4.7-inch iPhone SE. The biggest change is to support 5G and processor upgrades.
The current iPhone SE was introduced in April 2020 and is based strongly on the iPhone 8 but with some upgraded internals like an A13 chip from the iPhone 11 lineup.

Kuo says that he believes that the iPhone user experience will "significantly improve" if Apple were to adopt a Touch ID power button as was previously rumored for the next-generation iPhone SE, but he has "no visibility on the timing" for adoption of the feature.

Article Link: Kuo: Next iPhone SE Coming in Early 2022 With 5G and Processor Upgrades

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
If they squared off the edges, this might be interesting for me.

Last edited:

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
It's no surprise they aren't ready to move on to a new form factor this year or even next - the original was on the market for three and half years. However, if they do add 5G and upgrade the processor, that could mean they plan an even longer life for this one. The only update the original received was larger storage options.

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, by 2022 they could simply keep selling the 2020 iPhone Mini at a discount to match the price of the SE.

The 4.7" design looks very dated now, let alone a year from now.
Yeah, in 2022 Apple can keep the price of the iPhone 12 mini as $499 (the current price of the iPhone XR released in 2018). Who would buy this SE for $399 over the mini?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
This kind of makes sense. They used the 5 design three times: 5, 5s, SE (2016).

So now they would use the 8 design three times too. Plus, the SE is the perfect device for workplaces who literally need only calling and texting. That’s one reason why it sells so well.

Reactions: Icaras

Jamalien

Suspended
Oct 29, 2014
Just like the useless new „iPad“ still using the Apple Pencil 1, this device only exists, to justify the high starting prices of the actual latest devices

Putting touch id in the power button and extending the screen up & down a bit costs practically nothing. But then everyone would buy it...

Reactions: ksec and snipr125

knappeduivel

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Coming from an iphone 4, I really hate my iphone se 2020. The sides are rounded so the phone keep slipping out of my hands and the side button is in the perfect position to activate at the same time as the volume buttons. I already called 112 (911 in Netherlands) two times by mistake as a result. I would prefer the 12 mini just for the straight edges but I am not spending € 812 on a phone.

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
I hope the SE becomes a regular part of the Apple ecosystem lineup, not just an occasional stop gap.

The cheapest iPad could be rebranded SE and then there’s a phone, iPad and watch all catering for the lower end of the market with regular updates.

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
This kind of makes sense. They used the 5 design three times: 5, 5s, SE (2016).

So now they would use the 8 design three times too. Plus, the SE is the perfect device for workplaces who literally need only calling and texting. That’s one reason why it sells so well.
They already used the design 3 times 7,8 and the current SE.

Using the same design in 2022 will make it look dated. Even now some people are complaining that the SE looks like it’s a phone from 2016. Having the same the same design for a 2022 phone is laughable.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
What do you need processor upgrade for? It's not like you'll be running Fortnite, Retroarch, etc. Just make it $299 without compromises.

Reactions: Doomtomb

locrumo

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2020
Crappy screen with good cam and cpu that is what i need.

Luckily there are more options in the market now.

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
Another fail. Until Apple stops putting notches and holes in my iPhone screen, my debit card will stay in its holster. Try again, Tim!

Reactions: TMax

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I really love my SE. Ridiculously cheap and spend most of my time on my iPad 4 which I think also is a bargain. I don’t love the power button Touch ID. Works great for my wife but I have troubles with it recognizing me. We live in Wisconsin and dry winter air is rough on fingers. We’ll see how goes in a month here, but I’d rather have Face ID. Again see how goes in a month here.

Reactions: D_J
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.