Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Well, many folks on MacRumors forum thinks XR is "doomed, doomed I tell ya" due to low resolution screen (ironically enough, only the "green" pixels on XS and XS Max have higher resolution).

It’s the bang for your buck. The Xs and Xs max have priced themselves out of reach of many users . And I was once in the group of users who criticisesed the 5c . This time round the XR is the best offering
[doublepost=1539629007][/doublepost]
Kuo this, Kuo that.... Kuo talks out of his backside most of the time stating the blindingly obvious but it must be reported in the news....
Agreed . Ha ha become captain obvious of MR

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Single camera and lower screen resolution.

I don’t think most people would notice that the camera has only one lens or that the screen resolution isn’t as high. Maybe if they are trying to view 4K video or something similar. Being mid $700 rather than $900 plus for the Xs line probably is a bigger deal than anything that the phone doesn’t have, especially since the processor is the same as the top of the line phones.

What makes you think most people won’t see the difference With the cameras? But I could be wrong and they won’t notice the entirely different camera bump on the XS to the XR?.... :rolleyes:
and I doubt the screen will be that much different, certainly it’ll be comparable to other iPhone LCD screens.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This phone will do very well. More than a few I know have spoken of getting the Xr for their teenagers and/or other family members. Funny how $749 is now thought of as easily affordable for purchasing multiple additional devices. When comparing against $999-$1499, yes, psychologically, it would definitely look that way.

Smart Apple, smart.

I'm pretty sure the majority of every demographic will go for the XR and not just teenagers. $750 is still "new" iPhone pricing no matter how you dice it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Problem for me is, it has the resolution of an iPhone 4.
Pretty pathetic.

Your criticism is myopic.

Only the green pixel on OLED smartphones have significantly higher pixel density than iPhone XS. Red and blue pixels are roughly the same, worse in the case of XS and XS Max.

More valid criticism would be that iPhone XR is still using LCD when all high priced Android phones have switched to OLED.

longhorn2004

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
And yet, Apple customers have proven they either (or all) that they:

1) Don't look at price.
2) Only look at the monthly price, so increases aren't very significant on a per month basis.
3) Want iOS at any price because they don't want to use Android.

I don't know why people keep talking about price as if it's this huge factor. I don't think it is and the numbers show people are perfectly willing to spend more than $1,000 on their iPhone. The iPhone is underpriced if anything. Apple has huge pricing power if they want to use it.

If that was true, then Apple would not be introducing a $750.00 phone ($25.00 a month). The XS would be sufficient. And per the rumors around MacRumors, Apple would not be expecting the XR to make up 50% or higher of Iphone sales projections.

We all appreciate the "greatness" of Apple products, that's why we own them, and yes, pay the Apple premium. To think that "price" is not huge factor with the mainstream though is a huge mistake. The XR product shows that Apple wants a big chunk of that "mainstream" money.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I have a 7 Plus and 8 Plus I want to trade into Apple to get a XR for my wife. Wonder if I can do that with the preorder or if I will have to wait and take both to a store once they are in stock. I guess I will message Apple unless one of you has an idea. Both of the Plus devices are paid in full and unlocked.

Buy the new one on a credit card that has some kind of reward system and then send those two to gazelle, pay off the card when the check comes.
[doublepost=1539633245][/doublepost]
And yet, Apple customers have proven they either (or all) that they:

1) Don't look at price.
2) Only look at the monthly price, so increases aren't very significant on a per month basis.
3) Want iOS at any price because they don't want to use Android.

I don't know why people keep talking about price as if it's this huge factor. I don't think it is and the numbers show people are perfectly willing to spend more than $1,000 on their iPhone. The iPhone is underpriced if anything. Apple has huge pricing power if they want to use it.

Some people are willing to spend that much. Would they make more money overall if they had a real inexpensive model like a new SE? Those who want the best can still pay more for it, those who want to stay and on iOS but their 6s are getting a little old, can get some new features in a smaller phone.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think all the stuff would be perfect for my mom who got the iPhone 8 Plus, except she will notice it only has one camera, so that disqualifies it... (Yes she will notice this only)

Problem for me is, it has the resolution of an iPhone 4.
Pretty pathetic.

If you need an excuse not to buy, don't make up stuff.

Reactions: -BigMac-

imtiktok

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2018
lol $1049 Canadian for minimum spec & no HD screen in almost 2019.

My Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) has an AMOLED screen (albeit screen burn in; virtual keyboard *sniff*), HD & despite still having a headphone jack, is dust & water resistant.

That being said, I would pull the trig on a XR, my first Apple product since my 2010 iPod Touch (still works, stuck on OS 6).

Last edited:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
If priced @ $899, the iPhone XSE (i.e., a single lens version of the XS) would be available as low as $37.45/month, same as the low option for the $899 256 GB iPhone XR !

50% chance it gets announced NO later than Thursday !

NOT Rocket Science, it's strictly Common Sense !

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Buy the new one on a credit card that has some kind of reward system and then send those two to gazelle, pay off the card when the check comes.
[doublepost=1539633245][/doublepost]

Some people are willing to spend that much. Would they make more money overall if they had a real inexpensive model like a new SE? Those who want the best can still pay more for it, those who want to stay and on iOS but their 6s are getting a little old, can get some new features in a smaller phone.
My answer to that is Apple would know their customers and market far better than us. If you had any idea how much research and data went into their pricing decisions, you'd probably not even ask the question.

The way I see it is that if Apple decided these were the 3 price points, they are probably completely justified. Who am I to question their strategy? They execute better than any company in the world.

Remember all the people saying a $999 iPhone X would flop? Apple knew it would work and it did, extremely well and so much so that all 3 phones followed.
[doublepost=1539635718][/doublepost]
If that was true, then Apple would not be introducing a $750.00 phone ($25.00 a month). The XS would be sufficient. And per the rumors around MacRumors, Apple would not be expecting the XR to make up 50% or higher of Iphone sales projections.

We all appreciate the "greatness" of Apple products, that's why we own them, and yes, pay the Apple premium. To think that "price" is not huge factor with the mainstream though is a huge mistake. The XR product shows that Apple wants a big chunk of that "mainstream" money.
You missed the genius in their pricing structure. Just because I said people are willing to spend $1,000, doesn't mean you don't have another pricing tier that works too. I'm simply stating the $1,000 or $1,500 is meaningless to huge segments of people. $750 is clearly the threshold they think they can capture the rest of their market.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
lol $1049 Canadian for minimum spec & no HD screen in almost 2019.

My Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) has an AMOLED screen (albeit screen burn in; virtual keyboard *sniff*), HD & despite still having a headphone jack, is dust & water resistant.

That being said, I would pull the trig on a XR, my first Apple product since my 2010 iPod Touch (still works, stuck on OS 6).

If you're happy with using Android all the power to you. There are tons of people I know who are just bad with electronics in general (ie: my parents), so if I hand them a Note 9 they will be lost. For them they will upgrade to another iPhone.

If you haven't noticed, apart from the Samsung top of the line phones, they don't use custom screens. All the phone manufacturers use off-the-shelf screens and therefore off-the-shelf screen resolutions. So it may seen a $300 phone has a better screen resolution than an iPhone, but it's not really that simple.

The fact remains that Apple has taken the time to customized a display and i's resolution to a seemingly arbitrary number with UI elements to match.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The price difference actually isn’t huge ($750 and $999 are both “about $1000” in my books) and most people pay monthly, so the difference is tiny. Given that, I’ll be surprised if the XR is a clear winner over the XS/Max. The low resolution, low pixel density, lack of OLED, lack of 3D Touch and no telephoto lens all add up. It also appears to be thicker and with bigger bezels. Nah.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
My wife and I both have the iPhone 6 Plus and are looking to upgrade to the XR. I buy everything outright so to me the price difference between the XR and the XS and XS Max (I like the big display, she wants something smaller) amounts to $600. The XR is a good compromise and that is $600 left in my bank account.

the johnmc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
iPhone: 38.551970,-121.698453
The price difference actually isn’t huge ($750 and $999 are both “about $1000” in my books) and most people pay monthly, so the difference is tiny. Given that, I’ll be surprised if the XR is a clear winner over the XS/Max. The low resolution, low pixel density, lack of OLED, lack of 3D Touch and no telephoto lens all add up. It also appears to be thicker and with bigger bezels. Nah.

$750 is literally 3/4 of $1000. It's a whole quarter off.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Reposting something I found in another forum: The Apple FUD Calendar:

September: The annual [—] -gate scandal.

October: Supply chain checks suggest newly announced iPhones not selling as well as hoped. Slowdown in China spells trouble for Apple.

November: Supply chain checks suggest October announced devices won’t make holiday sales in time.

December: (Obvious boffo sakes for Apple make this a quiet period for the haters.)

January: Q2 for Apple looks to be cut in half of expectations (analyst expectations, but actually right in line with Apple’s history).

February: Supply chain checks suggest the next iPhone will be a dud.

March: Mac sales slow. (But higher than the industry)

April: Security issues in Apple software.

May: Rumors suggest nothing of interest at this year’s WWDC.

June: Yup, WWDC didn’t include the hardware I demanded.

July: Supply chain checks suggest Apple doesn’t believe the new iPhones will sell well.

August: Google and Samsung will dominate high-end iPhones this year.

And back to September we go. Rinse, repeat, but never forget that this happens every damn year.

Reactions: tt061282

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
At the end of this and the next quarter, I would like to see how close or far off Kuo is from his prediction.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm curious how they are going to advertise this phone. It deserves a big campaign. And it needs one since it is being released a decent amount of time after the announcement. But advertising your "second best" product is tricky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.